Awesome live albums

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I wouldn't know where to start with all the live releases, but for this conversation Reckoning has to be in it. Fantastic recording of fantastic acoustic music. Dead Set (the electric counterpart to the shows Reckoning were culled from) is excellent, too.

My dad was already sick of me going to GD shows a lot by the time I played Reckoning for him on a long car ride around '83. He had never really heard the GD before and about half-way through the first side, asked who we were listening to. He was surprised/shocked to learn that the music we were listening to and BOTH enjoying was the band with the scary name that I'd expended so much time/effort on and caused him some grief over.

For that, Reckoning will always be a tops album for me.

The Bird Song from Reckoning has awesome Jerry licks for sure!

Yep, Grateful Dead Reckoning is awesome, one of the warmest live recordings I've heard. And I know what you mean about it being a good vehicle to show off the Dead's impressive folk, country, and blues roots.

i mentioned reckoning above. i remember i wasn't aware of it and came across a copy in a store in the lat 80s. i was blown away. i still jam out to that birdsong on my acoustic every once in a while. what a great setlist too....china doll!

Yeah, I wouldn't know where to start with all the live releases, but for this conversation Reckoning has to be in it. Fantastic recording of fantastic acoustic music. Dead Set (the electric counterpart to the shows Reckoning were culled from) is excellent, too.

My dad was already sick of me going to GD shows a lot by the time I played Reckoning for him on a long car ride around '83. He had never really heard the GD before and about half-way through the first side, asked who we were listening to. He was surprised/shocked to learn that the music we were listening to and BOTH enjoying was the band with the scary name that I'd expended so much time/effort on and caused him some grief over.

For that, Reckoning will always be a tops album for me.

I LOVE this story!

I saw where "Seconds Out" was mentioned a couple of times, but Genesis Live is the one for me. Shame that it's only a single LP.

Yessongs and Yesshows are both killer Prog as well.

And the Mother of All Live Prog (imo) - Crimson's "The Great Deciever" box set. 4 CDs from '73-'74. A total skull-fuck to be sure!

Welcome Back, My Friends, to the Show That Never Ends... Ladies and Gentlemen, Emerson, Lake & Palmer - The versions of Hoedown and Aquatarkus were better than the original studio recordings.

Welcome Back, My Friends, to the Show That Never Ends... Ladies and Gentlemen, Emerson, Lake & Palmer - The versions of Hoedown and Aquatarkus were better than the original studio recordings.

Hell yeah. Hoedown BURNS with energy, and the Tarkus suite is my favorite thing ELP ever did.

Priest's "Unleashed in the East" is a great one for the metal genre.

"Diamonds......and RUST!" \m/

heh...thats the other live album I always crow about.....

Off topic.....listening to a bit of Iris Dement today.....holy cow what a voice she has.....gotta dig deeper into that body of work....

ALL the official Live Cream stuff is SO heavily influential to me. When I first dug into this stuff it was a revelation. Live Cream, Vol. II, Sides 3 &4 of Wheels of Fire, Goodbye. When I was a teenager in the late '70s/early '80s these records made me think there was some truth to the 'Clapton is God' philosophy. Sweet Wine (from Live Cream) is a great example - no matter how far from the tune it gets Eric NEVER gets lost. He ALWAYS knows where the "one" is. Much of the jam is literally 3 guys soloing at the same time, but somehow it all manages to hang together.

I gotta give props to the Derek & the Dominoes Live 2 CD set from The Fillmore East as well. October 1970. Perhaps the best example of Eric's post-Cream playing. GREAT stuff here.

I saw where "Seconds Out" was mentioned a couple of times, but Genesis Live is the one for me. Shame that it's only a single LP.

Yessongs and Yesshows are both killer Prog as well.

And the Mother of All Live Prog (imo) - Crimson's "The Great Deciever" box set. 4 CDs from '73-'74. A total skull-fuck to be sure!

I think the 'Genesis Live' album was expended in the recent 'Live Boxset'. Suppers Ready and another track were reinstated. 'Three Sides Live' has some pretty good moments especially the 'In The cage' Medley and 'It' at the end.There are a load of good Crimson live records.

Yep - Live After Death is another.

Definitely Live After Death.

Without a doubt.

Ben Folds Live may not reach awesome status, but it's a good career retrospective and catches his energy pretty well.

I haven't heard that, but their Sessions at W54 dvd is very good.