Awesome live albums

Haha, I should have actually quoted the fellow who mentioned "The Who Live At Leeds"

Does Yes...Live at Leeds exist.  I tried to find it online and nothing.  I know about YesSongs which is great (classic lineup and get recording).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Billy Joe Shaver - Unshaven Live at Smith's Olde Bar

Hell YEAH, brotha!!!!!!!  That one fucking rocks!  I don't think I've ever heard another record that is so hardcore honky tonk AND aggressively rocking at the same time.  Thats what you get when you put Billy Joe's done-it-all experience together with his late son Eddie's guitar slinging and Brendan O Brien producing and sitting in.  Totally brilliant country music.  If you have suggestions for other stuff like this, PLEASE let me know...

Jimmy Page & Black Crowes - live at the Greek

For my 40th b-day party, we cranked this album up to concert-level volume on my brother's brand new mega-expensive self-powered studio monitor speakers, ones similar to these http://www.hometheater.com/content/duevel-sirius-omnidirectional-speaker. It sounded frickin' awesome, but we blew up those speakers :( That album kicks ass, but I love Zeppelin and The Crowes as much as any other bands.

• 2 months later...

If there are any Grant Lee Buffalo fans kicking around they have a new live album out on their website, recorded on their 2012 tour. Its a great little reminder of how good this band were back in the day. I still have the Buffalondon Live EP somewhere which I used to love.

My favourite Live Albums:

Genesis: Seconds Out

My Morning Jacket: Okonokos

Neil Young: Time Fades Away and Arc-Weld

Aerosmith: Live Bootleg (I know, I know....but it holds great memories for me)

Bob Dylan: Hard Rain

My favorite live album is actually a bootleg of a show where I was in attendance -- Big Star at Metro in June of 1994.

Pick Some Posies and Let's Play

No, I am not the guy who taped it but, if you are from Chicago, I can guarantee that you know who it was!

A great, spirited performance with all the songs that you would want to hear. The band was tight right up until the last song ("O My Soul") when Alex just seemed to stop caring, and the band's performance fell apart.

Aside from that, it was one of the 5 or so best shows that I have ever been to. Glad that somebody was there to document it and that I was able to find a copy/ (In the Dugout  record store, right next to Metro.)

My favorite live album is actually a bootleg of a show where I was in attendance -- Big Star at Metro in June of 1994.

No, I am not the guy who taped it but, if you are from Chicago, I can guarantee that you know who it was!

Who taped it?

Aside from that, it was one of the 5 or so best shows that I have ever been to. Glad that somebody was there to document it and that I was able to find a copy/ (In the Dugout  record store, right next to Metro.)

Now that's what I like to hear! I Would love to have been there. 

As well as some of the albums previously mentioned I put these down my ear pipes regularly;

Thin Lizzy - U.K Tour 75

Stevie Ray Vaughan - In The Beginning 

Who taped it?

My friends and I just referred to him as "The Taper Guy".He was present at pretty much every single larger small-venue show in Chicago throughout the 90s, with his stereo digital microphone set up at the soundboard, on a stand that towered about the audience.

I believe that he got the band's permission every time, too. So, what you get is basically a very good audience recording.

cover.jpg

Tracklisting:

01. In the Street

02. Don't Lie to Me

03. When My Baby's Beside Me

04. I Am the Cosmos

05. Way Out West

06. 'Til the End of the Day (Kinks cover)

07. The Ballad of El Goodo

08. Back of a Car

09. Jesus Christ

10. Daisy Glaze

11. Thirteen

12. For You

13. Baby Strange (T. Rex cover)

14. Feel

15. September Gurls

16. Big Black Car

17. Thank You Friends

18. Slut (Utopia cover)

19. Patty Girl (Dick Campbell cover)

20. O' My Soul

And, it's amazing how much Auer (or was it Stringfellow?) sounds like Chris Bell on his songs.

EDIT: and here is the original of "Patty Girl"

Oh, and in the CD case, I keep my ticket stub from the show.

Love it.

A great, spirited performance with all the songs that you would want to hear. The band was tight right up until the last song ("O My Soul") when Alex just seemed to stop caring, and the band's performance fell apart.

I saw them around the same time, maybe a year or two later, in NYC at Tramps. The bill was Perfect (Tommy Stinson's second post-Replacements band), Superdrag, Yo La Tengo, and Big Star. And Big Star was fairly transcendental. I had it in my head that I would never see Big Star live, and that night was like a dream come true. Six, seven, eight songs gave me goosebumps. A top 5 show for me, too.

And as a segue back to the thread topic, I love Big Star's Columbia: Live at Missouri University, 4/25/93.

"all live albums I can think of"

Don't start with me, pal. I have more live LPs than you've had hot dinners.  :P

I saw them around the same time, maybe a year or two later, in NYC at Tramps. The bill was Perfect (Tommy Stinson's second post-Replacements band), Superdrag, Yo La Tengo, and Big Star. And Big Star was fairly transcendental. I had it in my head that I would never see Big Star live, and that night was like a dream come true. Six, seven, eight songs gave me goosebumps. A top 5 show for me, too.

And as a segue back to the thread topic, I love Big Star's Columbia: Live at Missouri University, 4/25/93.

For me, the pisser about that one is that I transferred AWAY from MIzzou the year before that show.

I was pissed, but so glad to catch them in Chicago.