• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cheap Trick at Budokon

• Little Feat - Waiting for Colombus

And less well-known, but just as wonderful:

• Brinsley Schwarz - Cruel to be Kind

It's Nick Lowe's early/mid-70's band with Ian Gomm and a nice chunk of the musicians that would form the core of The Rumour, who would back up Graham Parker on his best stuff. Consists of a bunch of stuff that they recorded for the BBC.

Frank Zappa, You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol 2.

I used to be a Zappa fanatic. I still enjoy going through the back catalog now and then, but my favorite Zappa band was the one with George Duke, Napoleon Murphy Brock, Tom Fowler, Chester Thompson, and Ruth Underwood, in the early 70s. (Covering mainly these studio albums: Apostrophe, Over-nite Sensation, and One size fits all.)

Anyways, this album is from a series of three concerts in Helsinki in 1974, from which he took the guitar solo for Inca Roads and put it on the studio album.

The musical talent is astounding.

Roxy and Elsewhere is another live-compilation album from basically the same band. Great stuff.

• Cheap Trick at Budokon

Yes! One of my first albums as a kid.

Also:

Husker Du - The Living End

Magnolia Electric Co. - Trials and Errors

The Black Lips - Los Valientes del Mundo Nuevo (probably my favorite live recording; sounds great and captures the energy of their live show perfectly. recorded in Tijuana, which helps.)

Also, would be remiss to not mention Kicking Television... but we all know about that one. ;)

Whoa, I don't know where to even start with this list. Ok, I do know where to start, but I can probably keep on going endlessly.

It all starts with the one and only:

Allman Brothers Live at the Fillmore. The daddy of them all. But would also think of listing this as The Fillmore Concerts for the inclusion of Mountain Jam and One Way Out from Eat A Peach

Then, in no particular order:

Europe '72

Lou Reed, Rock n Roll Animal (is anything better than Steve Hunter's guitar intro to Sweet Jane?)

Live Dead

Talking Heads, Stop Making Sense

Stones, Ya Ya's

Dominoes, Live at the Fillmore

NRPS, Home Home on the Road

Little Feat, Waiting for Columbus

Clapton and Winwood, Live at MSG

Kicking Television (of course)

The Band, Rock of Ages

CSN&Y-Four Way Street

Neil and Crazy Horse, whatever the live album is called

There's many more I could probably list but I do have to get back to work.

Neil Young and Crazy Horse: Arc-Weld.

Bob Dylan: Hard Rain.

Genesis: Seconds Out.

My Morning Jacket: Okonokos

Aerosmith: Live Bootleg (Might notbe as great as those above but it's on here for nostalgia reasons)

The Band: Last Waltz or Rock of Ages

King Crimson: USA (Or Level Five for something recent)

Frank Zappa, You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol 2.

I used to be a Zappa fanatic. I still enjoy going through the back catalog now and then, but my favorite Zappa band was the one with George Duke, Napoleon Murphy Brock, Tom Fowler, Chester Thompson, and Ruth Underwood, in the early 70s. (Covering mainly these studio albums: Apostrophe, Over-nite Sensation, and One size fits all.)

Anyways, this album is from a series of three concerts in Helsinki in 1974, from which he took the guitar solo for Inca Roads and put it on the studio album.

The musical talent is astounding.

Roxy and Elsewhere is another live-compilation album from basically the same band. Great stuff.

Oh, hell yeah.

Some of the later releases are pretty stellar too, like Imaginary Diseases (instrumental) and Philly '76, which I believe is the only album featuring Bianca Odin on vocals.

The version of Ancient Armaments on Halloween is pretty top shelf too.

Warren Zevon --- Stand in the Fire

The sound of a man on fire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoUOSbSB4H4

In addition to many already mentioned (Allmans, Stones, My Morning Jacket, Derek and Dominoes):

Van Morrison - Its Too Late To Stop Now

at his probable performing peak (1973 from the St. Dominic's Preview tour I believe)with a very good band and a very good recording

Dylan/The Band - Before The Flood intense yet clear singing from Zimmy with the Band wailing behind him. Great rock arrangements of many Dylan classics. (I love Hard Rain, too, but the recording is kinda poor quality. Performances are on fire, though)

Humble Pie - King Biscuit Flower Hour Presents: In Concert Humble Pie Live 1973 I like this one better than Rockin' the Fillmore 1971 because Peter Frampton isn't there anymore to dilute Steve Marriott's hard boogie rock vision.

Yup the Allman Brothers at the Fillmore East is still the go to live album... even though Duane went back and overdubbed a few parts

Did these overdubs get taken off for the Fillmore Concerts reissue of the same performances? I know Tom Dowd edited different performances into a single take, some consider that a travesty, I'd imagine.

Also I love Grateful Dead Europe '72 but so much was overdubbed, I don't really consider it a true live album, even though it contains, for me, the definitive recordings of a bunch of songs (Tennessee Jed, Ramble On Rose, Brown Eyed Women, etc)

Get down get down, pull yer panties down...

Not to mention the BEST version of Blue Bayou ever!

Oh yeah, J. Geils Band "Full House" (I know, I mention this album every time the subject comes up but its awesome so.....)

many greats mentioned!

how 'bout:

television:lve at the waldorf - incredible guitar / decent mix

les claypools frog brigade: chuck full of Pink floyd's Animals

good ones mentioned so far...

Grateful Dead-Dead Set, Reckoning, Without A Net

Neil Young-Live Rust

Frampton Comes Alive (i know, but it's so great!)

Phish-Slip Stitch Pass

Genesis-Seconds Out

Yes-Keys To Ascension

My top 3

Coltrane -Village Vanguard Tapes

Allmans - Fillmore East

Dead - Live Dead

That's a great top 3.

I always enjoyed Grateful Dead's "Grateful Dead" release, so personally it would be Coltrane's Vanguard , Ya-Ya's, and the Skull Fuck record.

4. Filmore

5. Live Dead