Selfmade Jeff Tweedy "Anthology"

I am always curious about how other fans listen to odd ball tracks by artists we love.

I have created a custom playlist for Jeff's work outside of Wilco.

My list is the following:

2013-03-12tweedy_zpsdaadcc12.jpg

"You Never Know" is the alternate version from The Sun Came Out and does not "technically" belong here.

I know this might be blasphemy to some people, but I really enjoy hearing Jeff's material all together rather than listening to an entire Golden Smog or Loose Fur album.

Are they any tracks that you personally think I am missing?

How does everyone else like to listen to all of these songs?

Well, I still call it Not For the Seasons and I think of it as a Wilco song that Jeff and Glenn later recorded with another project, LOL.But no, I've never made a Jeff solo mix. When I'm in the mood for a Jeff solo compilation I just listen to his Irving Plaza 2001 show. Good idea though, to gather the studio versions on one CD. I have made several b-side/studio outtakes mixes of Wilco and other bands,a nd often prefer them to some of the actual albums.

I have been meaning to make a Dan Murphy mix however, of all his Smog and Soul Asylum tunes.

Not sure if you're only looking at studio material, but there are some nice live versions of stuff from Down with Wilco that Jeff sings (Family Gardener is on Sunken Treasure, but I particularly like Dear Employer which is on some good quality bootlegs (I've got it on 9 January 2003, but there may be better versions).

Nikki Sudden's album Red Brocade has Jeff singing on a really nice track titled Farewell My Darling (he also plays on other tracks, but adding everything he plays on would make your playlist much longer).

There was a vinyl single a few years ago that had Jeff singing Deerhoof's Behold a Marvel in the Darkness as the A-Side and him with his sons (under the name The Raccoonists) doing a song called Own It (Jeff cited it as an example of how he starts songs by simply making grunts and other noises that later turn into words, so its interesting just for that).

I haven't heard it, but apparently Jeff sings on Jim Cuddy's album All in Time (on the track I'll Make Believe It's You).

Personally I just create a smart playlist that covers everything Wilco related that I've rated 5 starts and haven't played for a few weeks. I find that approach good (and use it for lots of artists) as it means there aren't tracks I like but don't listen to for long periods.

Some great responses here, thanks guys!

Bringing up solo live recordings make me wonder if anyone does something similar for all the songs that Jeff has done live that have not appeared on albums.

There are so many great songs scattered across dozens of bootlegs that never got proper release, now I might need to make a playlist of all that stuff, so i can listen to it like it's own self contained album.

Thoughts?

I have also done something similar with the Mermaid Ave stuff.

Again, I know many disagree, but when I want to listen to the Mermaid tracks I am not interested in Billy's material so I have a created a 21 track "album" of all the Wilco only material. This is my go to version of this stuff.

I recommend you check out two downloads available at the magnificent Owl & Bear Wilco Archive. Not all covers, but good compilations to start with before you go to too much trouble...

Someone Else's Song, cover song compilation

The Collected Jeff Tweedy, 1997-2003

Thanks, The Collected Jeff Tweedy is probably a good place to start here.

Does anyone have an "Alternate Album" track lists for any of Wilco's records?

I am a big Beatles fan, and some of my favorite Beatles bootlegs are the "Alternate Album" mixes, where the tracklist of an album is used, but the official takes are replaced with demos, outtakes, live tracks, or other interesting versions.

YHF seems like it would be the easiest album to do this with. Does anyone have opinions on what the best alternate versions of YHF songs are? Mix those in with some of the outtakes and there are endless possibilities to listen to.

Again, I know many disagree, but when I want to listen to the Mermaid tracks I am not interested in Billy's material so I have a created a 21 track "album" of all the Wilco only material. This is my go to version of this stuff.

That's a shame.  All of the Mermaid Avenues have some incredibly strong tracks from Billy Bragg.  No reason to deprive yourself of some great songs.

That's a shame.  All of the Mermaid Avenues have some incredibly strong tracks from Billy Bragg.  No reason to deprive yourself of some great songs.

I can't get past his voice most times. I think Wilco completely outshines Billy's songs on the albums.

It takes all kinds. :guitar

Those are still probably my favorite pair of solo shows he's ever done (and that I was at), especially the latter. Those two, and the January '03 three-night run.

Wow, high praise coming from Paul!!!

3/5/05 is the #1 show I wish i was at. damn near perfect.

Someone Else's Song

Remember The Mountain Bed

I Am Trying to Break Your Heart

Airline To Heaven

(Was I) In Your Dreams

Wait Up

(Uncle Tupelo song)

Black Eye

(Uncle Tupelo song)

Radio King

(Golden Smog song)

Chinese Apple

(Loose Fur song)

Bob Dylan's 49th Beard

Someday Some Morning Sometime

Blasting Fonda

Someday Soon

Nothing'severgonnastandinmyway(again)

Summer Teeth

ELT

I Can't Keep From Talking

(Golden Smog song)

Encore:

Gun

(Uncle Tupelo song)

We've Been Had

(Uncle Tupelo song)

Candyfloss

Henry & the H Bombs

(Mott the Hoople cover)

Acuff-Rose

(Uncle Tupelo song)

I'm the Man Who Loves You

Encore 2:

Misunderstood

Encore 3:

Laminated Cat

(Loose Fur song)

Family Gardener

How To Fight Loneliness

John Wesley Harding

(Bob Dylan cover)

Political Science

Hummingbird

The Late Greats

Encore 4:

Passenger Side

California Stars

I Shall Be Released

(Bob Dylan cover)

Wow, high praise coming from Paul!!!

3/5/05 is the #1 show I wish i was at. damn near perfect.

Someone Else's Song

Remember The Mountain Bed

I Am Trying to Break Your Heart

Airline To Heaven

(Was I) In Your Dreams

Wait Up

(Uncle Tupelo song)

Black Eye

(Uncle Tupelo song)

Radio King

(Golden Smog song)

Chinese Apple

(Loose Fur song)

Bob Dylan's 49th Beard

Someday Some Morning Sometime

Blasting Fonda

Someday Soon

Nothing'severgonnastandinmyway(again)

Summer Teeth

ELT

I Can't Keep From Talking

(Golden Smog song)

Encore:

Gun

(Uncle Tupelo song)

We've Been Had

(Uncle Tupelo song)

Candyfloss

Henry & the H Bombs

(Mott the Hoople cover)

Acuff-Rose

(Uncle Tupelo song)

I'm the Man Who Loves You

Encore 2:

Misunderstood

Encore 3:

Laminated Cat

(Loose Fur song)

Family Gardener

How To Fight Loneliness

John Wesley Harding

(Bob Dylan cover)

Political Science

Hummingbird

The Late Greats

Encore 4:

Passenger Side

California Stars

I Shall Be Released

(Bob Dylan cover)

I mean, yeah...that single night — 3/5/05 — was just tremendous. Both because of the songs played (at the time, before he was doing the scholarship shows and really before the living room shows were much of a thing, I just remember thinking, "Wow, just about every single song that I ever wanted to hear him play, he played.") and because of the crowd (the front row at that show was made up of so many friends and we were all so...happy). :thumbup

If I *had* to pick just one single solo show that I ever was at, this would be it.