"X" is the poor man's "Y"

no doubt that Sabbath deserves all the accolades they get for birthing metal, but stylistically thrash and doom are distant cousins at best. same w/ the Kinks, if distortion is the sole connecting line between them and Sabbath...if you go back to stem cells, then everything is related.

Fair enough.  I don't know what a stylistically thrash and doom is, so it seems I am out of my element to make such a claim anyway.  

Carry on.  

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really get They Might Be Giants, never been a fan.  Maybe I'm not listening to them correctly.  

I get they can be polarizing...I would however recommend their first two albums (Self Titled and Lincoln) for a newbie. Drum machines, accordian and quirky lyrics. I have never heard another band that sounded like them from 1983 til 1987. If you want more of a full band sound John Henry is great and it is a more developed sound. If you are into educational music they have a few albums with really smart lyrics geared toards the kids but still worth a listen.

Robyn Hitchcock is the poor man's Syd Barrett

I like this one a lot. Good call.

Kenny Wayne Shepard is the poor man's Stevie Ray Vaughan.

They were the early pioneers of hard rock, which eventually became metal.  So tracing metal all the way back to its roots, you gotta start with The Kinks.  

i read a while ago an interview with john lennon where he said Ticket to ride was the first heavy metal song..... pompous maybe

i read a while ago an interview with john lennon where he said Ticket to ride was the first heavy metal song..... pompous maybe

I just heard that song this morning playing at a gas pump, of all places.  

"You Really Got Me" is the first metal song.   :guitar

IRBD, I would say UM is the poor man's Phish. And Phish ain't no poor man's anyone. I can't even bring The Cheese into this one.

Ten(ish) years ago, I was at trivia night at a bar owned by a friend. It was a pretty involved contest, in which the highest scorer on each of three first-round trivia tests got to compete on-stage in a Jeopardy-type setup, complete with buzzers and a question board in the shape of a grid. By chance, I happened to win an opening round contest one night and found myself in the lead going into the final round of the main event, in which the question had to do with the guy who popularized gonzo journalism in the 70s. For whatever reason (beer), I couldn't come up with HST, so I went with P.J. O'Rourke, knowing it was wrong and that I would lose.

So I guess I'm saying I agree.

• 2 weeks later...