Winnetka, IL

1. Be Not So Fearful (Bill Fay cover)

2. Message from Mid-Bar

3. Should Have Been in Love

4. Black Moon

5. Leave Me (Like You Found Me)

6. Sunken Treasure

7. Please Tell My Brother

8. One True Vine (recording played from upcoming Mavis Staples album)

9. One By One

10. Jesus Etc

11. God (John Lennon cover)

12. Company In My Back

13. Nothing Up My Sleeve

14. Capitol City

15. James Alley Blues (Richard "Rabbit" Blues cover)

16. Forget The Flowers

17. You & I

18. Box Full of Letters

19. Pot Kettle Black

20. What's the World Got In Store

21. I'm The Man Who Loves You

22. Love and Mercy (Brian Wilson cover)

23. Airline to Heaven

24. Spiders

25. What Light

26. Radio King

27. Kingpin

28. The Thanks I Get

29. I Got You (Split Enz cover)

30. Dreamer in My Dreams

Anybody who was there, please chime in!  I've only been home since last night and have to work, so can't do much right now. 

I will say this to anyone curious about the new album, (which I'm sure is most of you), we asked, and there was NO NEWS!   Nothing!  We tried, it's too early to share.

But we did get to hear a cut from Mavis' new album which was "One True Vine" which you all know is sort of an outtake that missed, what, Sky Blue Sky?   But hearing Mavis sing it, she just owns this 100%.  Just stunning.  And the version we listened to was sans keyboards, apparently, which was (according to Jeff) Susan's fault, then (according to Susan) Jeff's fault, and then Susan's fault, and then Jeff's fault, but one thing was certain to Susan ... "Spencer sounded great."   hahaha!   I love the long-married husband/wife banter.

That's it for now! 

We learned that Jeff likes "The First 48" and I assume "So You Think You Can Dance." And it will be a long time until the rockin version of "Spiders" returns.

It was a peak experience for me--just kind of mind-blowing to get to spend an evening in the presence of someone I admire so much. It's really hard to remember details because the whole night feels like a big fuzzy dream, but I will say that Jeff NEVER phones it in. Even in a private setting like this, where the vibe is more casual and laid-back, you can feel the commitment he has to making the night special and delivering every song right into your heart. 

One little tidbit of info, which got me even more excited about the upcoming Americanarama shows, was that there will likely be some collaboration between the artists. Somebody who has a better memory for details than I should correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he said that Dylan's people expressly said they want that to happen. This was in response to a question from one of the attendees.

One little tidbit of info, which got me even more excited about the upcoming Americanarama shows, was that there will likely be some collaboration between the artists. Somebody who has a better memory for details than I should correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he said that Dylan's people expressly said they want that to happen. This was in response to a question from one of the attendees.

Oh, that's groovy news...

Jeff played about three and a half hours and seemed to have a good time with the Q&A's too. One question about the DH in baseball it was revealed he thinks pitchers should bat and not be exempt from retaliation of the bean ball.  :angel

He also revealed that he thought most of this board hates my selection of "Leave me (Like you found me)" as it's never requested. He thanked me for requesting it and thought it to be a bold request on my part. WTF it's a great song!  :headbonk

Always interested by the song choices you all make. Leave Me is a good call. Surprised by nothing from Uncle T or Summerteeth.

For me it's always a tough choice. It's like picking a favorite child. The first year i got to go, i picked two covers i knew he would not play just so he would play the song i really wanted to hear. "When You Wake Up Feeling Old". For those not familiar with the process,  you submit three songs and Jeff choose the one he wants to play. Boy did i take some shit from him that year when i told him the motive of my selections.  :blink

For me it's always a tough choice. It's like picking a favorite child. The first year i got to go, i picked two covers i knew he would not play just so he would play the song i really wanted to hear. "When You Wake Up Feeling Old". For those not familiar with the process,  you submit three songs and Jeff choose the one he wants to play. Boy did i take some shit from him that year when i told him the motive of my selections.  :blink

Ha ha...what we're your other two choices this year?

My first choice was a request that he play something--even a fragment--from what they're working on now, but as Wendy mentioned, he wasn't giving up anything on that front. I was more than satisfied with Radio King, though, because it's one of my longstanding favorites. My third choice was Whole Love, which would have been fun with the falsetto.

I forget who requested God, the John Lennon song, but that one took my breath away. As far as I know--and I could be wrong--he's only played it once before, on the 40th anniversary of John Lennon's death, at The Paramount in Charlottesville, VA. I was at that show with my best friend from age 10. We had been huge Beatles fans in our teens--John was our favorite--and I had introduced her to Wilco. Her first Wilco-related show was the Tweedy solo show at the Paramount, and when he started singing that song during the encore we clasped hands and tears sprang to both our eyes. It was one of those unforgettable moments. So I was truly moved when he sang it again on Saturday. I think he said something like "I haven't played this song in a while" and I said, "yes, December 8, 2010--I've got goosebumps!" He said something like he was getting them now too. (Thank heavens he has a sense of humor about such outbursts!)

Anybody who was there, please chime in!  I've only been home since last night and have to work, so can't do much right now. 

I will say this to anyone curious about the new album, (which I'm sure is most of you), we asked, and there was NO NEWS!   Nothing!  We tried, it's too early to share.

But we did get to hear a cut from Mavis' new album which was "One True Vine" which you all know is sort of an outtake that missed, what, Sky Blue Sky?   But hearing Mavis sing it, she just owns this 100%.  Just stunning.  And the version we listened to was sans keyboards, apparently, which was (according to Jeff) Susan's fault, then (according to Susan) Jeff's fault, and then Susan's fault, and then Jeff's fault, but one thing was certain to Susan ... "Spencer sounded great."   hahaha!   I love the long-married husband/wife banter.

That's it for now! 

I was thinking about you folks this weekend and wishing I was there!  Glad you had a great time.  Love the poster too!

Thanks for sharing! (and nice poster).

Is this the same location from which originated that fantastic photo I remember of JT humbly waiting in the toilet queue. Classic.

No sir. That photo was taken at Edie's apartment. I took advantage of The one-hole restroom situation by asking JT about the recording of "Family Gardener".

What an incredible set list. I'm so happy for those of you who were fortunate enough to attend. Hopefully I'll meet some of you in the future! Keep the details coming.....

I can add there was a reporter from the Chicago Magazine in attendace, this may have contributed to ZERO, ZILCH, NOTTA thing on my attempt at getting ANYTHING on the new album.  In reality that's OK, were all excited and when news comes it will be great.  There's supposed to be an article in the July additon that will also be part of a summer concert article.

Remember Susan kind of passed the blame to spencer when she said he put it on her iPod ;)

That's it for now! 

I wanted to ask if we would get a taste of the new album at SSF and how they were going to pick the requests for Friday night...but apparently I become a bumbling mute in his presence. I couldn't even answer him when he asked me why I chose Message from Mid-Bar...next time I will force myself to be brave - he's so sweet