Is it possible that Jeff wrote that tune for me to hear at a specific hour today that almost left me in tears?  Wow, that tune just hit me today in a profound way.  That first verse just explained my whole world for a few moments.  Quite validating.  Thanks Jeff.

First Wilco song I ever heard...that was my introduction. Probably the most meaningful tune to me. Totally flipped my world around and introduced me to this wonderful band. Hearing that noise and chaos for the first time. Followed my melody and poetry, only to end with more chaos and one of my favorite vocal performances ever. I love that song so much.

Not the first Wilco song I had heard, as I had AM before Being There came out, but I remember hearing a bootlegged version of Being There shortly before it was released and being blown away by Misunderstood. I know what you mean, rtj; it flipped my world around, too. Shortly thereafter, I saw them for the first time, and they opened with Misunderstood. That blew me away - I had never seen/heard anything like it live before.

Not the first Wilco song I had heard, as I had AM before Being There came out, but I remember hearing a bootlegged version of Being There shortly before it was released and being blown away by Misunderstood. I know what you mean, rtj; it flipped my world around, too. Shortly thereafter, I saw them for the first time, and they opened with Misunderstood. That blew me away - I had never seen/heard anything like it live before.

It's funny, the whole "Nothing"! being said 50 times is not so powerful now (although I still love it) but the first time I saw them live that just blew me away as well.  They opened the show with it and it was just so powerful.

One of my favorite performance of the song was in St. Louis, 1999 - when they were opening for REM. It seemed like he still had a chip on his shoulder towards St. Louis/Belleville area.

It is the perfect way to start the Being There record, too.

Also my first Wilco tune. I started with Kicking Television and it was such a smack in the face, a monster of a tune to open a show. I remember my roommate walking into the living room, pausing the disc and asking me, "Who is this? This song is unbelievable!" Amen.

It is a totally amazing song & a show stopper performance wise to this day...
Most of you probably already know about this, but this is the song ("Amphetamine" by Peter Laughner) that was the inspiration for starting up what became "Misunderstood"...as much as I love Peter Laughner, I think the Wilco song is certainly the greater achievement...though they both have their own charms...and this song itself was inspired by "Heroin" by The Velvet Underground...Peter was pretty fanatical about Lou Reed, Television and all projects involving Richard Thompson...

that's a cool video and I'm glad to hear that Jeff is not shy about talking about being inspired to write songs by listening to other songs.

This was one of the first wilco tunes i hear too.  I knew of UT, but never paid attention.  I new about AM too as I worked at a fairly cool record store.  One of my coworkers was schooling on me on the Jay/Jeff thing when BT came out.  So fun to be on the cusp of Wilco's break out in real time.

Very powerful tune and I love it as the opener. When Glen smacks on those drums and Jeff starts strumming you know it's on... Last fall in Turin, Italy I was lucky enough to coincide a work trip with a Wilco show and the Misunderstood opener was incredible. Also very memorable is the Misunderstood as the 2nd encore opener from my first Wilco show. Along with 'I'm Always in Love', 'Misunderstood' is the first Wilco song I really got into...

That song wasn't the first one for me.  I began listening to them when they released their first album. But it doesn't matter when or where. It's a great song anyway.

Miriam G.

I never knew the Peter Laughner thing. Or rather, if I saw his name in the credits, never thought to look him up. Thanks a lot. I really like that song. His other stuff however, not so much.

That song wasn't the first one for me.  I began listening to them when they released their first album. But it doesn't matter when or where. It's a great song anyway.

Miriam G.

Apparently it mattered enough for you to mention it.

Apparently it mattered enough for you to mention it.

Let the obligatory dogpiling of the newbie begin!