Are we in a new golden age of mainstream pop?

I mean, there is always a fair share of crap out there on the charts, and the current day is no exception. However, there also seems to be a lot more QUALITY, even great stuff on the charts these days:

• Daft Punk

• Janelle Monae

• Fun.

• Adele

• Lourde

• Robin Thicke

There are more too that I am forgetting, I am sure. But... I am surprised at just how much quality stuff has displaced a lot of the crap on the radio.

There will always be room for the Biebers and Mileys, of course.

Am I crazy?

if Robin Thicke is great stuff then I think I've officially "lost touch"

Well, all I know is that one single.

But (IMO) it's a damn good single.

Although, it has lost a bit of context -- or, rather, gained a new unforfunate one -- thanks to Miley Cyrus.

That, and the inevitable overplay of commercial radio.

Well, all I know is that one single.

But (IMO) it's a damn good single.

Although, it has lost a bit of context -- or, rather, gained a new unforfunate one -- thanks to Miley Cyrus.

That, and the inevitable overplay of commercial radio.

When I first heard Robin Thicke's hit, I did a double take and immediately wished I was back in 1978 and could go skate to it at the local roller rink.

When I actually listened to the lyrics and saw the video, I decided it was misogynist trash.  With a good beat.

I mean, there is always a fair share of crap out there on the charts, and the current day is no exception. However, there also seems to be a lot more QUALITY, even great stuff on the charts these days:

• Daft Punk

• Janelle Monae

• Fun.

• Adele

• Lourde

• Robin Thicke

There are more too that I am forgetting, I am sure. But... I am surprised at just how much quality stuff has displaced a lot of the crap on the radio.

There will always be room for the Biebers and Mileys, of course.

Am I crazy?

I don't think you are crazy. You like some of the pop artists on the charts right now; probably more than you have in the past. Makes great sense thatv you would think it is a high water mark for pop music.

I don't change the station when Adele, Lorde, or Daft Punk are on the radio. And the Robin Thicke song is catchy. However, looking at the top 10 artists on the current Billboard Hot 100, it does not seem like a Golden Age to me (Lorde, Miley Cyrus, Eminem, Katy Perry, Avicii, One Direction, Drake, Imagine Dragons, OneRepublic, and Lady Gaga). But I can see how it might to someone else. Like 1/2 my household.

Oh yeah, I like Imagine Dragons, too.

But the rest of that top 10 (aside from Lorde) is pretty much shit.

Live in the moment.

Experience what you will, what you want, what you can.

Don't be ashamed of what you like.

Don't worry what others think.

That and the lawsuit from the Marvin Gaye family for ripping off Got To Give It Up.

But the video's nice.

regardless of the song's appeal or lack thereof, it does not infringe any protectable interests in the Gaye composition.  it appears to be a money grab by the estate. 

If you're not impressed with Janelle Monae, well then I just can't help you.

Just press play:

http://youtu.be/s-kiMZvR6KA

completely agree.  seeing her sunday night at the ryman.  should be excellent.