I know we've all become numbed to events such as this one, since with trying to survive daily life sometimes having any emotion left for a tragedy that doesn't directly affect us seems like asking too much. But this one is really affecting me...maybe you too? It's breaking my heart that all these lives were lost (one assumes, anyway) in such a needless and maybe deliberate way. There were infants aboard...I feel heartsick that their lives had barely begun. There were parents who left small children behind. There were pairs of lovers. One man left his wedding ring with his wife, to give to their small son, "in case anything happened".

Is anybody else having as strong and sad a reaction to this as I am? I wish the plane would at least be found, even if it means all are dead. At least the relatives would know where their loved ones are. I can't imagine how much it must hurt to be family of those missing.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice post. I've been so focused on the mystery surrounding the entire thing, which has made it easy for me to overlook the tragedy. I guess there's still a very small chance that the people on the flight are still alive, but I can't imagine what must be going through the minds of friends and family members.

Yeah, honestly the mystery of what happened is overshadowing the (almost certain) human tragedy. I can't imagine having loved ones just vanish like that.

I would agree. If this were simply a plane crash there would be some resolution, but as it is there is now rampant speculation which dampens the tragedy and opens up all sorts of theories including alien abduction.

LouieB

Flight 370 is very sad, I can't imagine not knowing really anything about your loved ones....we do all tend to live in our "own little world", but when something like this happens it's just heartbreaking.... wishing peace and good thoughts to all.

1544314_643731082330400_1397175222_n.png

From Courtney Love's fb page. Apparently someone has spotted this bit of ocean on the search site Tomnod.

Smartasses there commented, "But what are the odds of the plane going down right next to that red arrow?" and "If Courtney Love has found the plane...!"

Courtney comments: "its like a mile away Pulau Perak, where they "last" tracked it 5°39'08.5"N 98°50'38.0"E but what do I know?"

There was already a satellite image that they thought was the plane. Unfortunately that wasn't either. There are folks from 24 countries looking for this thing. What at the real chances that Courtney found it when experts at this sort of thing have been combing that part of the globe for days.

But I suppose she could be that lucky.

LouieB

I think this thread should be about the tragedy and it's deep emotional and psychological impact on society, not Courtney Love or Tori Amos.

I think this thread should be about the tragedy and it's deep emotional and psychological impact on society, not Courtney Love or Tori Amos.

Why are you even speculating on what the thread should/shouldn't be?

I may be out of place for even commenting, but it seems the thread started off as a place to discuss real issues and feelings before it went off on another tangent.

This is an interesting read:

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2014/03/mh370-electrical-fire/

I'm no aviation engineer, but his take on it sounds plausible. The simplest explanation is often the best. (Occam's razor)

This article makes sense to me, too. Definitely more plausible than what I have heard kicking around on the news channels.

I'm no aviation engineer, but his take on it sounds plausible. The simplest explanation is often the best. (Occam's razor)

It comes from a credible source, so it's worth considering, but I found "You will find it along that route–looking elsewhere is pointless" to be a bit overconfident.

This is an interesting read:

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2014/03/mh370-electrical-fire/

This has been debunked:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/03/18/mh370_disappearance_chris_goodfellow_s_theory_about_a_fire_and_langkawi.html