Supposedly great bands/artists that you cant stand

Good grief! Some of my favorite bands of all time are hated by some of you? I guess there's no accounting for taste or personal preference.

I HATE Mumford and I HATE all his Sons.

I also can't stand Dave Mathews and Kings of Leon (except for Youth and Young Manhood which is quite good).

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good grief! Some of my favorite bands of all time are hated by some of you? I guess there's no accounting for taste or personal preference. I HATE Mumford and I HATE all his Sons. I also can't stand Dave Mathews and Kings of Leon (except for Youth and Young Manhood which is quite good).

We're not all the same.

Be happy about that.

People, dont make me lock this sucker down. Play nice.

I haven't seen anything that is genuinely not nice on this thread.  I thik it's been pretty mild as far as "asking for a fight" threads go.

I loves me the opportunity to flex my admin-like muscles. The power rush is the best! Play nice! BAH-HAHAHAHAH!

What about those asshats that go by the name of Green Day??

The Foo Fighters are barely tolerable especially live nowadays where Grohl yells "CMON" or "alright lets go motherfukkers" before every hook

Hate and hate. All three members of Green Day seriously need an ass-kicking.

I was in a band that was opening for them for two and a half weeks (so that accounts for 14 or 15 shows, plus I saw them at Lollapalooza 1995, once opening for Sonic Youth Dirty tour, and once headlining over Yo La Tengo/Unrest, so that's 17 or 18 shows).  I would love it if I liked their music, because I like them as people, and I was afforded a once in a lifetime opportunity by them, but their music has never connected with me.

Oh, now I'm connecting the dots. You were in forced proximity and there was no spark. Two quick questions: what year was it; and, was Mac cool to work with?

Oh, now I'm connecting the dots. You were in forced proximity and there was no spark. Two quick questions: what year was it; and, was Mac cool to work with?

I think it was 1997.  From my perspective, Mac was the most distant person in the band. I don't remember him being around much during times when we were lounging before shows.  It's likely that he had other obligations and that's why he didn't seem as approachable as the others.  He's not unfriendly at all, but he does have a more intense and less relaxed vibe than the other band members.

I spent a lot of my down time with Jon Wurster and Jim Wilbur, both great and hilarious guys.  I remember Jon was reading the Aerosmith oral history book during that tour, and having some good laughs at their tales of over the top debauchery.  It certainly made the excessive drinking on our and Superchunk's part seem very tame.

Laura was very nice, but as you can probably imagine, she has a lot of friends in every city, so I didn't get to spend a lot of time with her.  I didn't try to wedge myself into her world.   I've seen her two or three times since then, and she has always recognized me and taken time to chat with me, which speaks highly of her personality, especially since i was just a fill-in member of the band, and was not even in the band when they were offered the opening slot on the tour. 

Hate and hate. All three members of Green Day seriously need an ass-kicking.

They were a fun band when I was 15.  I was a pretty big fan in the early 90's.  But yeah now, they are unlistenable..  

jff, just curious as to what band you were playing in.

Wurster is hilarious. his facebook/twitter feed is consistently awesome.

Rock*A*Teens.   I was only with them for that tour, and a quick trip up to NYC, plus one recording session.  They've reunited, by the way (I'm not in the band).  First shows in 12 years start this weekend in Charleston, with a tour of the northeast later this summer.  I recommend going to see them.

I think it was 1997.  From my perspective, Mac was the most distant person in the band. I don't remember him being around much during times when we were lounging before shows.  It's likely that he had other obligations and that's why he didn't seem as approachable as the others.  He's not unfriendly at all, but he does have a more intense and less relaxed vibe than the other band members.

I spent a lot of my down time with Jon Wurster and Jim Wilbur, both great and hilarious guys.  I remember Jon was reading the Aerosmith oral history book during that tour, and having some good laughs at their tales of over the top debauchery.  It certainly made the excessive drinking on our and Superchunk's part seem very tame.

Laura was very nice, but as you can probably imagine, she has a lot of friends in every city, so I didn't get to spend a lot of time with her.  I didn't try to wedge myself into her world.   I've seen her two or three times since then, and she has always recognized me and taken time to chat with me, which speaks highly of her personality, especially since i was just a fill-in member of the band, and was not even in the band when they were offered the opening slot on the tour.

Thanks for the interesting details!

Thanks for the interesting details!

You're welcome. I got to have a couple beers with ed fROMOHIO in Austin on that tour, so for that and many other reasons I'm eternally grateful to the entire Superchunk organization.  

You're welcome. I got to have a couple beers with ed fROMOHIO in Austin on that tour, so for that and many other reasons I'm eternally grateful to the entire Superchunk organization.  

Nice!

Listening to Watt (solo) right now. It would be awesome to hear some Watt stories from Ed. Touring with that guy had to be a total trip.

Nice!

Listening to Watt (solo) right now. It would be awesome to hear some Watt stories from Ed. Touring with that guy had to be a total trip.

Yeah, no doubt.  I don't remember what was talked about that evening (I was in a shitty mood because I had played pretty poorly and caught hell for it from the singer right after we left the stage).  It was more a group thing with ed, and not one on one.  He was totally cool, though, and that helped bring me out of my funk.   The only thing I know about him in regard to touring with fIREHOSE is that he didn't like Captain Beefheart, which was baffling to Watt and Georgie Hurley.  Apparently, that was what they liked to play during tour drives.

If you want Watt stories though, you should read the tour diaries on his website from when Nels was in his band.

Speaking of Beefheart:

Not a fan.

(Getting back on topic, as well.)

i have a pretty good interview w/ Watt that i need to finish transcribing.

the dude is a force of nature.

He seems like an awesome guy.

Like a good friend's weird uncle who you can't help but love, because he is just so sweet and uniquely cool.

I saw Watt open for Frank Black and The Catholics in 02 or 03.  Small place in LA.  It is still the only show I have attended where the bass was the loudest instrument.  My ears rang for a week.. 

He seems like an awesome guy.

Like a good friend's weird uncle who you can't help but love, because he is just so sweet and uniquely cool.

I got to open for him once and met him after the show in the early '00s (after he had already spent 15 or 20 minutes selling shirts from the stage).   I could tell he was kind of wiped out and wanted to have some peace and quiet, but he was trying his best to be hospitable.  He was saying something about seeing Alice Cooper in the '70s.   I didn't stick around and bother him.  I was only in his space because we were in the middle of loading out.  Definitely seems like a super cool guy.

Gotta say though, I don't like his "sickness opera" record he did with the organ player.