Least Favorite Song per Album

Another observation: The crossover between these two threads speaks to Wilco's enduring, varied, highly personal output.  For example, I absolutely love "Dash 7" and "We're Not Friends," two tracks that are often cited as bottom-tier by other fans, and there's plenty listed in the other thread that I considered for my "least" list, such as "You Never Know" and "Say You Miss Me."  Whenever I see someone list "Sunloathe" as a favorite, my mind boggles, and then I realize that mostly I'm just glad someone somewhere finds it resonant.

Yep.

Sunloathe is one of my favorite songs on TWL, especially the way it is paired with Dawned on Me. The drums are so Ringo-esque and it has a great transition. Always makes me smile.

AM - Passenger Side

BT - Say You Miss Me

ST - Blank (Track 15)

YHF - I'm The Man Who Loves You

AGIB - Wishful Thinking

SBS - Leave Me (Like You Found Me)

WTA - You Never Know

TWL - Open Mind

AM:  It's Just That Simple

BT: Why Would You Wanna Live

ST:  My Darling

YHF:  War on War

AGIB:  The Late Greats (it kills me to put that on the list, because I love it, but I guess I love it a little less than everything else on AGIB)

SBS: Leave Me Like You Found Me

W(TA):  You Never Know

TWL:  Open Mind

If the topic had said least favorite track, you would have an argument. In this instance, you don't.

That doesn't make my response illegal, just not in accordance with the requested response criteria.

And how do you know Wilco weren't making an artistic statement by including a song called "blank" that lacked musical content?

That doesn't make my response illegal, just not in accordance with the requested response criteria. And how do you know Wilco weren't making an artistic statement by including a song called "blank" that lacked musical content?

The rules of the topic are clear and unambiguous. Your brash unwillingness to comply with these rules is definitely illegal as it relates to this topic.

Is this where I get to say OMG YOU ARE ALL IDIOTS! JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION YOU HIGHY MESSED UP FREAKS!!1!!!11

I've been waiting for this moment. . . .

The greatest moment on this board. That thread should be pinned and immortalized.

I had no idea of the dislike towards You Never Know.  I remember people really digging it when WTA came out and being all George Harrison-y in a good way.  I know some things don't always hold up over time but I just can't see that being one of their worst songs.

Sunloathe is one of my favorite songs on TWL, especially the way it is paired with Dawned on Me. The drums are so Ringo-esque and it has a great transition. Always makes me smile.

Mine too. The whole thing is so Beatle-y and awesome. And I love the really weird video.

Illegal responses

I was gonna say "Blank" from ST, but I knew it wouldn't fly. I'm glad I didn't put it down and avoided possible incarceration. 

In defense of It's Just That Simple: being a self declared John devotee, it's kind of sad that his sole Wilco song appears on the "least favorites" list several times (including, ouch, my own). But the way Jeff sings on AM just kills me. He still had that husky thing going on, and his voice was much more nasal (pre-adenoids surgery, I read). And young.

So I listened to AM, and It's Just That Simple fits the record really well. It's a little bit like the sorbet that cleanses your palate for the next buttery, rich course. Also, John sang it for the encore when Autumn Defense played in Annapolis last month, and it was wonderful. Pat was doing this honky-tonk piano stuff and it worked so well as a closer -- after Sentimental Lady, of course. ;)

AM - Blue Eyed Soul

BT - (Was I) In Your Dreams (harder for this LP than I anticipated)

MA1 - Hesitating Beauty (just considering the Tweedy-sung songs here)

ST - My Darling

MA2 - Joe DiMaggio Done it Again (Bragg has a few clunkers on here, but not Tweedy)

YHF - ITMWLY (probably only for its ubiquity in their live sets, I think Mountain Bed ruined this for me)

AGIB - Less Than You Think (even w/o the drone, it's a good song but the weakest on the LP)

SBS - What Light

W(TA) - Everlasting Everything (worst in the catalog)

TWL - Standing O

I had no idea of the dislike towards You Never Know.  I remember people really digging it when WTA came out and being all George Harrison-y in a good way.  I know some things don't always hold up over time but I just can't see that being one of their worst songs.

to me its the traveling wilburys song that they didnt get a chance to write. the first time i heard it, i could sworn jim keltner was on drums and jeff lynne produced it. oh, and the wilburys are one of my favourite bands of all time!

AM - I thought I Held You

BT - Why Would You Wanna Live

ST - When You Wake Up Feeling Old

YHF - Heavy Metal Drummer (toughest choice)

AGiB - Wishful Thinking

SBS - Leave Me Like You Found Me (easiest choice)

WTA - Sonny Feeling

WTL - Black Moon