Is it just me? (The High Price of Wilco)

I'm feeling kinda sour right now on Wilco, the Commercial Enterprise.

Yes, I am looking forward to Solid Sound. But I'm also looking at a world where I think I might see far fewer shows by my favorite band.

The Red Rocks debacle was disheartening. (I won't repeat myself. Already said what I needed to say here.)

I sent two emails to Tony Margherita Management, politely expressing that disappointment. Zero response. Not even a generic "Thanks for your feedback."

And now I see details of the Scottsdale show, which is close enough for us to drive. We used to live there in fact, and would have lots of friends to visit and stay with if we chose to go.

But $85 for pit tickets? BEFORE TicketMaster's obscene add-on fees? Fuck that.

I don't begrudge the boys their success, but this seems like it's going to drive longtime fans away.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you completely.

Apparently the only great deal (good value) to see them live remaining is Solid Sound. We went the first two times but I was living on the East Coast then and it was just a 5-6 hour drive.

We're settling for GA at Scottsdale and hope to still have a good time.

I can't believe you got no response about the Red Rocks debacle, which it really is. And I'm holding Red Rocks GA tickets now unfortunately...

wow ...$85 is steep.

In comparison my pit tickets in FL were $47.

Concert prices are going up though. My father just paid $200+ a piece to see Elton John.

On the other side of the spectrum, I saw Kurt Vile for $12, and Ty Segall for $10 a year ago. Not all shows are super expensive.

I don't know squat about how bands' pricing for shows works these days, but I suspect it has something to do with the promoter, not just the venue's location.

The highest-priced ticket I bought for Wilco shows this year was $53.00 ($47.00 + $6 service charge)...probably same show as rhino4evr. That was a presale general admission ticket in St. Augustine. My wife and I have 3rd row tickets for Tallahassee: they were $40/ticket, total of $100 for the pair, including service fees.

I would not be too quick to blame the band or their management for pricing.

At some point everyone is going to have to come to terms with the fact that Wilco isn't the little local cult band we knew and loved.  These guys are big time now and it isn't going to reverse any time soon unless about half of you out there fall off the edge of the earth and stop going to their shows.  I got into an argument with someone online the other day about the resale of Grateful Dead tickets, etc.  At a certain point successful bands become the victims of their own success and can't control the market forces that make them successful.  Meanwhile Wilco has hit the point where if they never toured again they would also not ever have to work again either.  So now if you want to see them, pay the price and stop complaining.  Because they can just as easily stay home and collect residuals and make the occasional record.  The fact that they still seem to love performing as much as they do is pretty cool for all of us. 

(After 3 days in Belleville I have not heard a single word about Wilco either. It seems time for a statue to be erected here.)

LouieB

I would not be too quick to blame the band or their management for pricing.

Sorry, but at Red Rocks it most assuredly is the band's choice as to how to price tickets. Wilco and their management chose the option to make the first 50 rows reserved at a price of $80 per ticket with service charges. The last 4 times they played there the configuration was different, and other bands I am seeing at RR this summer are using the classic, GA up front configuration.

Meanwhile, the selection on Stubhub is awesome.

So, no, not letting anyone off the hook that easy.

Come on Mister Kafka - do you really think that bands should not charge what the market will bear?  (I checked your profile and noticed you aren't a kid so I assume you know how the world works.)  And why should TM answer you either?  This is a business now with lots of expenses and infrastructure to support.  If you want to see performers who are scuffling, hit the local clubs and bars and support them. If you want to see a big time rock group, pay to see Wilco.  Or don't.  No one is holding a gun to your head and making you buy tickets.

LouieB

Never said any such thing, Louie. I do expect a response from businesses when I correspond with them. And I know from watching you on these boards for lo these many years that there is nothing to be gained from a back and forth with you, so thanks and bye.

I am totally sympathetic that concerts are expensive.  But if you can't afford them don't go. If you think musicians make too much, don't patronize them.  It's simple supply and demand.  I don't see the demand for Wilco decreasing any time soon. 

As with any commodity, if there weren't a market it would be cheaper.  And on the flip side artists are expected to work cheap.  But those in demand don't have to anymore.  That's not me being a jerk, that's life.

LouieB

I don't think I've paid more than around $60 for any Wilco show, outside of special events like Red Rocks back in 2012 when I bought a special weekend package. And of course the Tweedy benefit shows at the Vic. I know that some of the upcoming shows have higher prices, but it seems to me that the specific venue and the overall cost of living in some of those cities contributes to the relatively high prices. And good lord, look at the prices really famous name bands charge, for a big ass light show and choreographed backup dancers in a stadium. Ugh.

My daughter's friend was just telling me she has to save up $150 to see Taylor Swift. WTF! We used to pay like $15 to see big acts when I first started going to concerts in high school. REM, U2... I have a Billy Idol stub somewhere that says $12 on it. Unfortunately, the concert was in Philadelphia and I didn't have a ride.

Adjusted for inflation, the average ticket price for Wilco seems about right ($43-47). I think I'd pay $80 for Red Rocks, being the iconic venue that it is.

I don't think I'd ever pay that much to see a Wilco show. Nevertheless I don't begrudge them charging what they can get, or what they feel is fair. As for management not replying to the OPs email, I'm guessing they don't feel they have to justify their costs to people, which I totally get. 

adjusted for inflation, Wilco's probably the highest (or at least near the top) of what i've spent for a ticket... back in 2002, my wife and i spent about $100 per seat for very front row seats at the Orpheum.... even though i'd been a fan for a while, we'd never seen them and decided to scalp tickets via eBay. definitely worth it, imo. still pissed that i couldn't smuggle in my little P&S camera.

I think it's hilarious that people complain about how expensive tickets are these days compared to 20 years ago.  I'm seeing a ton of that with this "Grateful Dead" run.  It's simple economics and supply and demand.  Stuff is more expensive than it was back in the day and it costs more to see a band at a big venue than it does to see them at a bar.  Sure, i'd love to pay $20 to see Wilco or Neil Young or Phish, but I love those bands and it's worth it to me to pay what the venue/promoter determines is market value to see them.  If it's not worth it to you, don't go, simple as that.  No offense, but everyone complaining about ticket prices just come off as entitled whiny brats to me.

I think it's hilarious that people complain about how expensive tickets are these days compared to 20 years ago.  I'm seeing a ton of that with this "Grateful Dead" run.  It's simple economics and supply and demand.  Stuff is more expensive than it was back in the day and it costs more to see a band at a big venue than it does to see them at a bar.  Sure, i'd love to pay $20 to see Wilco or Neil Young or Phish, but I love those bands and it's worth it to me to pay what the venue/promoter determines is market value to see them.  If it's not worth it to you, don't go, simple as that.  No offense, but everyone complaining about ticket prices just come off as entitled whiny brats to me.

I absolutely agree with this.

I think it is important to also add to this conversation that there is no revenue for recording artists to be had through sale of that recording any longer other for the biggest of the big (Taylor S etc). This may not apply to bands like Wilco who never made much money (or so they claimed) through the music as much as it applies to bands like Pearl Jam or Jack White where record sales used to generate a substantial amount of revenue. I also hear that tote bags have lost some popularity which no doubt impacts Wilco more than PJ or JW.

That said, it is a bit of sticker shock with some of these Wilco show prices. Prohibits a multi night run to a large portion of the audience that might have been interested in that with prices 30% lower.