Los Lobos..What do I need to know?

Ever few months I pick another critically acclaimed band to get into just to see what I have been missing. My curiosity has been peeked. So where should I start? Any must haves? What about their live shows...

I plan on purchasing Kiko, How will the Wolf Survive to start...good place to begin?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely Kiko, to start.

Also, you should definitely not avoid La Pistola y El Corazon. Yes, it is traditional Mexican music, the sort of which you probably don't normally listen to. But it is also incredible and you will find yourself loving it a shocking amount.

And, if you listen to that, back to back with, say The Latin Playboys albums, you can get a true appreciation for just how astonishing these musicians really are and how much ground they can cover so well.

Get them all. 

Besides what you're already getting, By The Light of the Moon is excellent. This Time is overlooked. The Town and the City is great. The Ride, and Ride This are awesome too.

It's all good.

But, definitely go see them live any chance you get. They're a great live band.

Get them all. 

Besides what you're already getting, By The Light of the Moon is excellent. This Time is overlooked. The Town and the City is great. The Ride, and Ride This are awesome too.

It's all good.

Yeah they swing through NYC once or twice a year..if I like what i hear I'm sure I will catch them :thumbup

I've been lucky enough to see them live a few times and they definitely put on a good show. They're one of those bands, sort of like Drive By Truckers, where the songs are very different depending on who's taking the lead. David Hidalgo's songs are more ballads, and Cesar Rosas is more rocking Tex-Mex.

Get them all. 

It's all good.

Very much agreed. I'd say By The Light of the Moon is my favorite. Apparently the band doesn't think so, I guess it wasn't a good experience for them. Agreed on This Time and Town and City.  Will the Wolf Survive is another great record, maybe my 2nd favorite. Real friendly guys, they often do autograph sessions after the shows.

Saw them at the first Furthur Fest.  They played few Dead songs.  Totally rocked. Hidalgo is an excellent guitarist and would've fit in well with the post Jerry Dead.

If you wanna go deeper, check out Hidalgo's side project Latin Playboys.  Experimental Lobos!

Travelin' and livin' off the land.