Politics 2016 (election edition)

Don't you know that Mexico is paying for the wall? Maybe Bernie can get Mexico to pay for college? El Chapo Scholarship program.....

Seriously, who will get free tuition? US citizens? Undocumented? Who is paying for this? Who decides on what the tuition will be? 

You know I think your original comment about Bernie's free tuition plan being as unfeasible as Trump's wall is way off base.  While I agree with you the plan to give debt free tuition is not feasible.  But it is not feasible because it would never pass with a GOP controlled congress.  If Bernie were elected there would be no way something like that would pass.  Look at what kind of wrangling it took to get  ACA to pass, and that is when the Dems controlled both houses and the presidency.  

Now the "wall" is not feasible for a whole variety of reasons.  First and foremost it is structurally impossibility, secondly his plan to pay for the wall is a ridiculous notion and simply would never happen.  I don't think I could do any better explanation of why the wall is not only a bad idea, it is stupid and impossible, than John Oliver did awhile back.  I encourage everyone to watch.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU8dCYocuyI

Also I think you are being disingenuous with your comments on the wall v free tuition.  You seem to put both ideas on equal footing, they are not.  Free college tuition has been implemented in other countries and shown to work (yes I know the tax burdens in these countries are high, but people are going to college for free, thus showing it works).  The wall is just simply impossible on all facets.  So to compare these two is illogical.  

Donald Trump is a very smart and shrewd man.  He knows his wall plan is ridiculous.  Bernie (also very smart) actually believes his tuition plan can happen.  This points out the two differences between these men.  Donald is lying to you, he knows he is lying to you, he is just doing it to pander to the rubes.  Immigration is makes people and other countries the bad guys and the scapegoat for America's ills.  This is the person who the Republicans want to be president.  A person who will lie and modify his positions just to get votes and elected.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kevin, it boggles my mind that Trump supporters, people who express love and care for this country, continue to ignore the very plain fact that Trump is pandering to them shamelessly. The death spiral of the GOP continues.....

This election is like trying to decide which cancer is more healthy for you.

. In my opinion, using your analogy, it's like comparing stage IV liver cancer that has metasticized throughout the body (Trump) to a mole that has changed color (Clinton).

How horrible is Clinton really? Is she ambitious? Is she just not likeable? Hello Trump? Cruz? Aren't they all ambitious and not likeable? What is it? I just see a politician who along with her husband has been vilified since day one. I don't believe one bit that she has had people killed, or that Benghazi!!!!! Is the worst national tragedy ever. I don't believe that it is anything more than politics dying those investigations. The Email thing? So far nothing real has come out of that yet, but is it worse than when the previous administration conducted business on private servers. So what exactly is it about her specifically?

To me, she is a conservative warhawk with no leadership abilities. She's someone who has no ethics, and only adopts policies/stances once they're popular. She's never been at the forefront of an unpopular good idea. 

I don't really give a shit about Benghazi. The e-mail thing is troublesome because she put herself above the law. 

On a superficial level, out of all the practiced faces she could have worked with for photo ops, she decided to go mainly with the gape-mouthed wide eyed manic look. 

The only thing appealing about Hillary, to me, is that she's not Donald Trump. Donald Trump has made a career out of screwing people over, and his supporters think he's going to be good for them?

At least you have real reasons. Based on your answer she should appeal to more voters because our country loves war. Re the email, I say if things are found to be improper then throw the book at her. Her punishment should be what the previous administration got since after all we do have a past precedence to draw from. That's tongue in cheek as politicians are only interested in ruining other pols careers over issues like this. Actual punishment and corrective behavior is secondary.

I know someone who said they could never vote for Clinton because they know too many things about her that the press is not talking about. Umm ok, so no real concrete reasons just internet bullshit.

I can't imagine that Hillary would be any more "successful" in getting congress to work with her than Obama has. That's also worrying to me.  And I'm under the assumption that this has been the least effective Congress EVER, as far as passing legislation goes. Thank goodness our priorities right now are on who gets to take a dump in which bathroom. 

The only positive that I can come up with - for a Trump presidency, is that it will force people like me to take to local politics, to get involved as much as possible from the ground level. But man, talk about redemption through suffering. A Trump presidency would be a scourge of the ages. 

I just see a politician who along with her husband has been vilified since day one.

Along with Ted Cruz, Donald Trump, Sarah Palin, George W. Bush...

Re the email, I say if things are found to be improper then throw the book at her. 

Absolutely. It has already been shown that she had many, many classified messages on her homebrew server. As someone who has held a security clearance in the past, it's unthinkable that she still has access to classified documents as the investigation unfolds. Her access should have been withdrawn immediately. She signed the same agreements that I did but, despite her claims to the contrary, some people are too big to jail. It'll take 20 years to come out, but when the stories about the behind-the-scenes efforts to derail the investigation and maintain her political viability come out they'll be best sellers.

I still haven't heard how are you paying for free tuition. We run a yearly deficit already without this massive give away. The cost are unreal. No answer as to who is eligible. I suspect anyone in the US including illegals will be eligible, since it would be considered racist to not include them in this program. Since over 40% of Americans pay no taxes, the money will have to come from others being told to pay your fair share. Those who have no stake will cheer this on.

Bernie may believe this for real which means he is as nuts as those that blow themselves up to meet their 7 virgins. Fervor does not equate to good policy.

I still haven't heard how are you paying for free tuition. 

You raise taxes.

You make the entry into college as competitive as it is now (only 25% adults in the US have a college degree). After all, there are only a certain amount of spots open. Not everybody will be able to go. The best and brightest get priority. 

You also provide for free tuition to trade schools.

Germany and Sweden seem to be doing OK.

I guess I have a different approach. I don't see how raising taxes is going to help anything economically. I agree to disagree. I do appreciate the discussion and different viewpoints.

I still think Trump and Bernie have many similar approaches to trade, jobs, etc. which I don't agree with. Anger from the left and right, though understandable, rendered any candidate with moderate agendas dead on the water. I still feel Webb, Kasich, and Rubio had the best positions.

I still wish we could watch O'Malley debate Kasich as the respective nominees.  They'd be all, "I hear what you're saying, and I know you believe that will help Americans the most, but I just can't agree.  Several studies suggest....  There's a historical precedent.... We both agree that the working poor deserve a better chance."

Instead we're bracing for a brutal summer and fall of crappy reality TV and vitriol.

I still wish we could watch O'Malley debate Kasich as the respective nominees. They'd be all, "I hear what you're saying, and I know you believe that will help Americans the most, but I just can't agree. Several studies suggest.... There's a historical precedent.... We both agree that the working poor deserve a better chance."

Instead we're bracing for a brutal summer and fall of crappy reality TV and vitriol.