Now listening to 6/30/87 -- David Lemieux was talking about on his "This Day in G.D. History", today (he said he didn't have a 2/15 show at his fingertips).

Anyway he told nice story - the venue is in a Canadian amusement park. With the price of the concert ticket, one got admission to the actual park, with it's rides and Hanna Barbera characters milling about.

Seems like it would have been a fun day.

This was his 2nd show, I guess, and he was16 at the time.

Nice audience recording - decent enough show. I don't think I ever heard it before.

Venue: Kingswood Music Theater

https://archive.org/details/gd87-06-30.schoeps.ladner.8577.sbeok.shnf/gd87-06-30d1t10.shn

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now listening to 6/30/87 -- David Lemieux was talking about on his "This Day in G.D. History", today (he said he didn't have a 2/15 show at his fingertips).

Anyway he told nice story - the venue is in a Canadian amusement park. With the price of the concert ticket, one got admission to the actual park, with it's rides and Hanna Barbera characters milling about.

Fun day indeed for those psychedelically induced Deadheads!  :guitar  :stunned

This was his 2nd show, I guess, and he was16 at the time.

Nice audience recording - decent enough show. I don't think I ever heard it before.

Venue: Kingswood Music Theater

https://archive.org/details/gd87-06-30.schoeps.ladner.8577.sbeok.shnf/gd87-06-30d1t10.shn

Not a great recording. I still have (somewhere) a crisp tape of this show. I could have SWORN that Bob asks right before the "Scarlet": "Where's that guy with the hat?," though. I didn't hear in on the above archives link. 

Not a great recording. I still have (somewhere) a crisp tape of this show. I could have SWORN that Bob asks right before the "Scarlet": "Where's that guy with the hat?," though. I didn't hear in on the above archives link. 

There is a sbd of the show on the archive -- I haven't heard it. 

https://archive.org/details/GratefulDead?and[]=date:1987-06-30%2A

There is a sbd of the show on the archive -- I haven't heard it. 

https://archive.org/details/GratefulDead?and[]=date:1987-06-30%2A

Yeah, I checked that too. Even checked the '84 Ontario show (a 2nd set Scarlet opener, as well). That sounds more like the show I was thinking about. At least the warm-up notes/drum taps do. But still no Bob asking about the guy with the hat. Weird.

My favorite is Promised Land -- Garcia always seems to rip it behind Weir vocals and rhythm - I never tire of that tune.

The whole below verse gets me every time. Garcia is always great.

Los Angeles give me Norfolk Virginia,

Tidewater four ten O nine

Tell the folks back home this is the promised land callin'

And the poor boy's on the line.

Same here. My 2nd favorite vocal intrussion by Jerry in Bob-sung tunes would be in I Know you rider, and the 3rd Jack Straw. Any others...?

I guess they definitely got Betty's boards back.

Four Complete Shows on 11 discs
5/5/77 Veterans Memorial Coliseum: New Haven, CT
5/7/77 Boston Garden: Boston, MA
5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY
5/9/77 Buffalo Memorial Auditorium: Buffalo, NY
Sourced from the Betty Boards, transfered by Plangent Processes
Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
Artwork by Grammy-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
The unreleased book Cornell ‘77: The Music, The Myth And The Magnificence Of The Grateful Dead’s Concert At Barton Hall by Peter Conners, published by Cornell University Press
In-depth essay by noted Dead scholar Nicholas Meriwether
Producer's Note by David Lemieux
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
Release Date: May 5, 2017

I guess they definitely got Betty's boards back.

I wonder what the story is there. Are those the tapes those people had that wanted 1 million dollars for or whatever? And hopefully they got the actual tapes. And not the VHS-Cassette dups.  I guess Rob Eaton had something to do with it. 

Everything released so far from this tour, tho 4/25 is vinyl only I guess. At this point it would be nice just to have the whole thing, along the lines of Europe 72 and Spring 90.

Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ, 4/25/77 – April 25, 1977
Grateful Dead Download Series Volume 1 – April 30, 1977
May 1977: Get Shown the Light – May 5 – 9, 1977
Cornell 5/8/77 – May 5, 1977
May 1977 – May 11–17, 1977
Dick's Picks Volume 29 – May 19–21, 1977
Dick's Picks Volume 3 – May 22, 1977
Dave's Picks Volume 1 – May 25, 1977
To Terrapin: Hartford '77 – May 28, 1977
Winterland June 1977: The Complete Recordings – June 7–9, 1977

And something on the Betty Boards: https://www.relix.com/news/detail/the_betty_boards_are_now_in_the_grateful_dead_vault

I am watching Dave's video. I'd say they are the OG tapes the farmer guy had. He sort of mentions it at one point. I bet they did not pay him a million dollars though. 

Here's the thing: they (GD) have known about the story of these tapes forever, and it was always the company line that they would NOT pay for their own intellectual property - which in my view is the correct course to take, even if *legally* speaking they did not own them. But they got 'em back, and what we want to know is how. 

Another May '77 box? I bought the first one, wasn't expecting there to be a second box. 

On the bright side, this will give me another chance to get on my soapbox about Buffalo being my favorite show of the month. 

Back before I'd heard much if not all of these shows I was always of the mind to say set 1 Buffalo and set 2 Cornell would make a perfect show for me.

Has anyone been able to order the box? I went through the entire checkout process and then got bounced back to my shopping cart with the box still there.

It took me forever yesterday, but the order finally went through. I think I tried for about 5 hours on and off. I figured they would had all it worked out this morning.

Ha, just listening to Dave's seaside chat, he goes off on the Buffalo Comes A Time. "One of the best single song performances in GD history."

Always considered Comes a Time to be a lesser Jerry ballad, relatively speaking. It's just kinda literal, and I think given somewhat elevated status due to being more of a rarity. I'm not sure that version comes close to Cornell's Morning Dew, which I think deservedly is noted as one of the best single.... Also, Buffalo gets knocked down a peg due to Sunrise. But would likely agree with Buffalo set 1 and Cornell set 2.

Was able to get the box late last night. Dead.net redirected to Rhino checkout.