My favorite part of many Weir tunes is Garcia's contribution. Like in the Dylan covers, Masterpiece, Desolation Row, etc., when Garcia kicks in with the backing vocals, that space right there is heaven, takes it to the next level. "You can hear them blow..."

I'm with you on that. I loved hearing Tom Thumbs, Desolation and Masterpiece. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how the 2nd  electric set is 3 tunes and roughly an hour and a half long. Yow.

Yup.  I remember getting the cassette when I was in high school and thinking there must be lots of filler (or blank space) at the end of the tape and then it ran out (before We Bid You Goodnight came one).

Just in relation to February 13, 1970. I am in a small email group among college deadhead buddies and we do day of the dead every day and vote for favorite show on that particular date. When i got the email today I responded that it being a Grateful Dead national holiday i thought it would be a day off. Here is the text of the email but names etc removed to protect the innocent:

OK Gents,

Here's your February 13th.  Wake up little Susie we gotta vote early and vote often.  

-

1970  NY, NY  Fillmore East

1988  Oakland, CA  Kaiser

-

1970  Fillmore East.  Perhaps the luckiest Friday the 13th in musical history.  For one, the audience got to hear The Allman Brothers Band as the warm up act.  For another, there was both an 8pm performance, and an 11:30pm.  

Early show features nine tunes, open with Cold Rain.  A couple Pigpen tunes (Good Lovin, Hard To Handle) and a Saint Stephen-Not Fade Away (the latter three are very well played, tight jams, worth a listen).

Late show has an opening electric set, an acoustic set (six tunes, including the first Wake Up Little Susie), and another electric set.  It's the latter ---Dark Star, That's It For The Other One, Turn On Your Lovelight --- that is quintessential.  

Contains not just the best performance of 1970, but among the band's finest ever.  

8 recordings.  Dick's Picks #4.  This seems to have both concerts, SBD, though the track names are missing:

Here's an AUD of the early concert

and AUD of the late

1988  Kaiser.  First concert of the year.  7 tunes set one, Hell In a Bucket to open, Sugaree next, they close with Loser.  Set two opens Iko Iko, Looks Like Rain, Gimme Some Lovin, then Drums. Hmm.  Yes, 25 minutes of pre-Drums music.  At the end of Wharf Rat, Weir starts playing One More Saturday Night, then quickly pivots to Good Lovin, and he sings it a bit tired; Garcia's one run also weak.  Don't think they brought their "A" game on this night.  Encore Black Muddy River.   6 recordings.  Walker-Scotton-Miller quality, just 3.6k views.

Main, 13k views, only one review

I read that the Grateful Dead and Black Sabbath were both on the bill on May 24, 1970 at a festival in England called the Hollywood Festival. 

Yes! And Mungo Jerry, of course!

It's a pretty deep Dark Star from here, too....

I read that the Grateful Dead and Black Sabbath were both on the bill on May 24, 1970 at a festival in England called the Hollywood Festival. 

Right - just looked it up and a saw it on the Archive. 5/24/70 was a Sunday. Can't say I am familiar with any of the other bands, with the exception of Sabbath and the Dead.

Lower Finney Green Farm Leycett - Hollywood Festival -first European performance Saturday: Lord Sutch & Heavy Friends; Family; Titus Groan,' Mike Cooper; Mungo jerry; Airforce  Sunday: Demon Fuzz; Wildmouth.' Black Sabbath; Quintessence' Colosseum

Wonder if Sabbath and the Dead ever crossed paths in the 70s.

Just to put a scare in everyone:

Black_Sabbath_debut_album.jpg

It's a great album. The one I have has Ozzy spelled "Ossie" in the album credits on the back side of the album.