I was coming on VC to RIP the Hag. I got into him as a young boy as my mom was a fan. I'm going to tell her he died, even though she won't remember, she'd want to know.

My wife and I went to see him last year on a lark, thinking it might be the last chance. So glad we went. I hadn't seen him in 30 years and wanted to hear that Hag drop one more time. He played a short set, maybe 75 minutes. Toward the end, he said "I can still do it, but I can't do it as long", then beamed a huge grin. I was prepared for a short concert and had resigned myself to not hearing The Fugitive, my favorite, but damned if he didn't play it! My wife knew that I was in bliss.

I agree, Atticus, this one gets me too.

Oh man. A few of his tunes were responsible for getting me into country music. Another country music legend laid down to rest. RIP Merle.

His music (and that of a handful of others) is what I think of when I see the label Country Music.

Me, too. I lived in Nashville as a kid in the 70s, and his music was everywhere then.

When I read recently that he had pneumonia, well, that caught my attention. That can be tough to battle for older folks.

One of my all-time favorite country artists. He was making great music right to the end, which is a rare thing indeed.