Who's Marching, and Where?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you truly wanted other views/information on an issue at a specific time when you have no internet access, and the only people available were Jeff Tweedy and your 3 year old nephew, you'd chat up Mr. Tweedy.

You're right. Hypothetically, if I got stranded on a small island, and I was one of only 3 humans, including Mr. Tweedy and my 3 year old nephew, and I needed information on how to build a raft or how to make a fire and find food to eat and stay safe at night from wild creatures, I'd love to have someone like Mr. Tweedy around and would definitely seek his advice over my 3 year old nephew.

KIDZ Bop has ruined my kids...

My two kids went - their best part of the day was the train ride and playing at Maggie Daley Park. The 7 year had a basic understanding why we marched and understood it. The 5 year old not so much. They both got a kick out of the signs that people had.

Speaking of kids, while at the Chicago march, we saw a number of parents pushing those big old strollers with small kids in them. One of them was a doublewide. I don't know about the other marches (I'm assuming they were similar in nature) but it was so damn crowded that we could barely make our way thru the crowd and here are these parents expecting people to get out of their way because they are pushing a stroller. It seemed like a very poor choice these parents made. Also, get off my lawn!

Plus, if something did happen and the crowd panicked, those strollers would be trampled.

It is amazing with the politically charged atmosphere and the huge number of people there was no incidents.  It is a testament to the marchers.  

It is amazing with the politically charged atmosphere and the huge number of people there was no incidents.  It is a testament to the marchers.  

I was impressed in L.A. with how caring and careful everyone was towards children, strollers, and wheelchairs. Everyone made extra space and made sure all felt comfortable and uncrowded....despite the massive crowd! We took care of each other. Which is a lot more than can be said of our government right now.

If you agree with a celebrity's, people will accept /tolerate their political rantings. If you disagree you will have the desire for that celeb to just make music, movies etc. It is human nature, it is easier to accept what we like.

Jesus, I cited an example where this wasn't the case. Of course, I could be lying about my friend at the Olson/Louris concert, but I am not. Michael Stipe would be another example. Years and years ago when he had on a dozen t-shirts with different political slogans. I know a lot of people who supported those causes and thought it was stupid.

In general, do Republicans hate Meryl Streep's rants and Democrats hate Ted Nugent's? Of course. But sometimes people hate poorly-delivered messages even if they agree with the content.

Jesus, I cited an example where this wasn't the case. Of course, I could be lying about my friend at the Olson/Louris concert, but I am not. Michael Stipe would be another example. Years and years ago when he had on a dozen t-shirts with different political slogans. I know a lot of people who supported those causes and thought it was stupid.

In general, do Republicans hate Meryl Streep's rants and Democrats hate Ted Nugent's? Of course. But sometimes people hate poorly-delivered messages even if they agree with the content.

As touching and heartwarming your story is, it is nothing more than anecdote.  And I would never accuse or insinuate that you or or friend is lying.  But in this past election cycle, look at the times when celebrities spoke out.  Look at who was in favor of the message, look who is against the message.  Overall the support is drawn by party lines based upon the message.  Meryl Streep was applauded by left and ridiculed by the right (not just the President).  When Jake Arrieta tweeted on Nov 9th "Time for Hollywood to pony up and head for the border #illhelpyoupack #beatit," I and several left leaning Cubs fans were upset.  But it seems that the cries of, they should just stick to acting/sports/etc., only come out from people who disagree with the statement.  

Thus my original statement regarding Sid.  I know from reading Sid's statements in the past that he is on the right of many issues and when he said he could give a "flying crap about his [Tweedy] political opinions," I felt that this came from a place of disagreement on his statement, not the fact he does not care.  IMHO he most defiantly cares, or otherwise he wouldn't have taken the time to say it.  Just Kidsmoke and others who voiced support of Tweedy cares.  It is human nature to be filled with pride when someone we admire expresses views similar to ours and disappointment when they don't.  

Of course no one likes poorly delivered messages.  That Neil Young Album you talked about is terrible.  Also I heard Ashely Judd's rant during the women's march.  That was some horrible bullshit.  I just kept shaking my head.    

Thus my original statement regarding Sid.  I know from reading Sid's statements in the past that he is on the right of many issues and when he said he could give a "flying crap about his [Tweedy] political opinions," I felt that this came from a place of disagreement on his statement, not the fact he does not care.  IMHO he most defiantly cares, or otherwise he wouldn't have taken the time to say it. 

Nowhere in Jeff's social media post does he state a position regarding anything specifically. What would I possible be disagreeing with?!

How I feel about Tweedy is how I feel about Conan O'Brien or Alec Baldwin, for examples. Conan's old NBC late night show was, in my opinion, one of if not THE greatest late night TV show of all time...funny, weird and quirky. On TBS, since getting burned by NBC, Conan's show is, generally, more cynical and more political. I don't like his show as much. Not because of his political views. But because...in my opinion...political discourse has a lot of nastiness and a snarky, cynical quality that I find off-putting. I love watching Alec Baldwin doing "normal" comedy on SNL or in movies. I think his political views are off at times, but I DON'T CARE. He's entertaining. I think his Trump impersonation SUCKS. It pales dramatically to the great caricatures of Carvey's Bush, Ferrell's W. Bush or Hammond's Clinton, but I digress.

I like Tweedy and Wilco because of their music, not whether they support Planned Parenthood or not. Or whether they like Trump or not. 

I DO NOT CARE.

Don't believe me. I don't give a flying crap.

You're right. Hypothetically, if I got stranded on a small island, and I was one of only 3 humans, including Mr. Tweedy and my 3 year old nephew, and I needed information on how to build a raft or how to make a fire and find food to eat and stay safe at night from wild creatures, I'd love to have someone like Mr. Tweedy around and would definitely seek his advice over my 3 year old nephew.

Sid, I owe you an apology. I have never been a fan of hyperbole and try to avoid using it. One of the reasons that I loathe the President is that he always speaks in hyperbole, and "hyperbolic" hyperbole, at that. I think that's why I reacted so out of proportion to the 3 year old thing. That was a "normal" use of hyperbole, but I'm so sensitized due to President Trump that I went off. Sorry, Sid.