• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone here get it before they sold out? Besides me, I mean. :rolleyes

I got my order in. 

Was listening to my Buffalo show the other day (which I understood to be a Betty Board) and was reminded of the audience splice in the middle of the big rave up in Music Never Stopped. Wonder if what they recovered includes the full soundboard version. I don't recall Dave saying anything about that in his seaside chat. 

I don't do eBay, but my buddy says the first May '77 box is going for $500 unopened.

That first May '77 box used to be available as a download from dead.net, for $100 or so, which is how I got it.

I thought it still was available, but now it's not. Probably to keep people focused on the new box?

The only "old" boxset that's still available from the secondary market at a decent price is the Winterland '73 set, which Amazon lists at $105. 

All of the Dicks Picks are available on itunes. But none of the Dave's Picks are...

I don't do eBay, but my buddy says the first May '77 box is going for $500 unopened.

The June '77 box I was referring to is the Winterland '77 box. I wants it.

But, with the new May '77 box coming out, I'll have the following official releases:

4/30/77 (Download Series Volume 1)

5/5/77 (new box)

5/7/77 (new box)

5/8/77 (new box)

5/9/77 (new box)

5/11/77 (old box)

5/12/77 (old box)

5/13/77 (old box)

5/15/77 (old box)

5/17/77 (old box)

5/19/77 (Dick's Pick 29)

5/21/77 (Dick's Pick 29)

5/28/77 (To Terrapin: Hartford '77)

So, I think that's probably more than enough...

The June '77 box I was referring to is the Winterland '77 box. I wants it.

But, with the new May '77 box coming out, I'll have the following official releases:

4/30/77 (Download Series Volume 1)

5/5/77 (new box)

5/7/77 (new box)

5/8/77 (new box)

5/9/77 (new box)

5/11/77 (old box)

5/12/77 (old box)

5/13/77 (old box)

5/15/77 (old box)

5/17/77 (old box)

5/19/77 (Dick's Pick 29)

5/21/77 (Dick's Pick 29)

5/28/77 (To Terrapin: Hartford '77)

So, I think that's probably more than enough...

You NEED Dick's #3 (5/22)! If only for the sequence of Eyes > Wharf Rat > Terrapin (Inspiration!) > Dew. 4 killer Jerry songs IN A ROW.  :love

You NEED Dick's #3 (5/22)! If only for the sequence of Eyes > Wharf Rat > Terrapin (Inspiration!) > Dew. 4 killer Jerry songs IN A ROW.  :love

Yep. The Dancin' and the Franklins are both smokers, as well. There's nothing quite like the Dancin' jams from '77 to brighten me up.

Thanks for the recommendation! I listened to this a ton over the weekend. Great stuff.

I've went back to that show too many times to count. It's worth mentioning that it was the very first pick from '77. Kind of an 'under the radar' show at the time. But a great pick - one of the truly monster Sugarees from a month that has a number of 'em. 

Did the Dead ever do a Franklin's Tower>Eyes, or vice versa?

Seems that those two songs are cut from the same cloth...

A quick look at the DeadBase (I never remembered hearing one) says no on both counts. Weird!

Spent some time with an old friend this morning. The Dark Star>Other One>Lovelight sequence from 2-13-70 Fillmore East. It was a very nice reunion :guitar   

Isn't it just a wonderful thing? I don't think any of those 3 songs in the set qualify for "best ever" status. But just that there were 3 consecutive 30 minute songs that made up the set - all played to a very very high degree of proficiency - makes it arguably the best set ever done. 

I don't even know that I would agree, but I'm just throwing that out there.  :thumbup

Spent some time with an old friend this morning. The Dark Star>Other One>Lovelight sequence from 2-13-70 Fillmore East. It was a very nice reunion :guitar   

Gotta say I listened to it last week in the background while working, and nothing jumped out, as has been the case with other listenings. Gotta give it a spin when spun or driving sometime I guess.

Isn't it just a wonderful thing? I don't think any of those 3 songs in the set qualify for "best ever" status. But just that there were 3 consecutive 30 minute songs that made up the set - all played to a very very high degree of proficiency - makes it arguably the best set ever done. 

I don't even know that I would agree, but I'm just throwing that out there.  :thumbup

I can't say what the "best ever" version of Dark Star is. There are too many of them and I haven't given them all a serious listen. Too subjective anyway. I can say this is my favorite DS version. Everything about it is just perfect. 

Probably my favorite Dark Star sequence is also from the Fillmore East, 4-28-71. That Dark Star>St. Stephen>NFA>GDTRFB>NFA is pure gold. 

Probably my favorite Dark Star sequence is also from the Fillmore East, 4-28-71. That Dark Star>St. Stephen>NFA>GDTRFB>NFA is pure gold. 

This is likely the single most-listened to stretch /sequence of GD I've listened to in my life. Particularly from the Stephen on, I know this patch of music pretty much note/drum beat-to-note/drum beat (and vocal flub/laughter)

This is likely the single most-listened to stretch /sequence of GD I've listened to in my life. Particularly from the Stephen on, I know this patch of music pretty much note/drum beat-to-note/drum beat (and vocal flub/laughter)

Me too. Each note is in my gene sequence at this point. Pure GD rick n roll. Love Weir flubbing the verse in Stephen.

I can't say what the "best ever" version of Dark Star is. There are too many of them and I haven't given them all a serious listen. Too subjective anyway. I can say this is my favorite DS version. Everything about it is just perfect. 

I'm a big Dark Star > Dew freak. I think that's the quintessential Dead combo. There's about a dozen of 'em (5/18/72 - 10/18 74). I think I've heard all versions. About half of those are officially released.