• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's nice to know I have something to look forward to in my declining years. :stunned

I'll be my Dad's age (76) in 22 years. But that's a stretch!

I should have thrown a link over here this morning (my bad!) but I hope some of y'all listened in on David Gans' "Dead To The World" annual GD marathon today. As usual, amazing stuff.

I got completely blown out by the hour of 8/3/69 Family Dog. Never heard it before. It featured guests on sax and electric violin that nobody was quite sure was. After hours of debate on the subject, and many call ins it seems that it could have *possibly* been Martin Fierro and Rod Albin. Regardless, the way those two players were seemless and simpatico on Dark Star was pretty astounding. One would think they'd sat in countless times with the band.

Yeah - that interview had to have been edited down for the web.

I haven't seen an actual Billboard mag. in a while.

Probably only can get one in LA and maybe NYC.

If I remember correctly, aren't they printed in a rather format/style?

JGB doing I Want to Tell You in 76. Was only aware of the Dead doing this in the 90's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QtOltBpaSY#t=01m00s

Nice find. JGB did it several times even up to '94 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wKrI4I9Ns4)

Another great '76 cover by JGB is "Moonlight Mile." Man, I wish he'd stuck with that tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nykZJpTfFI

Yeah - that interview had to have been edited down for the web.

I haven't seen an actual Billboard mag. in a while.

Probably only can get one in LA and maybe NYC.

If I remember correctly, aren't they printed in a rather format/style?

I have not been in a Barnes and Noble in a long time. But as I recall - it is a large slick magazine. 

Been back into a major Dead-listening binge, especially in the car.

It occurred to me to ask: are there any Dead tunes you guys aren't too crazy about that would shock others to know?

I'm not talking about low-hanging fruit like Picasso Moon (and now someone will post, "I love Picasso Moon!"), I mean Dead classics that you just take for granted everyone loves.

I'm a much bigger Jerry fanatic than Bobby fan, so I won't even pick on ol' Bob. Here are three well-loved Jerry songs that, frankly, don't even make it into my Dead top 40.

1) Tennessee Jed - I know, it's such a fun song, right? I wonder how many times I've heard this and wanted to hit the Skip button. Actually, I have hit the skip button a few times. I've just heard it way too much, and let's face it, it's a pretty silly song.

2) Deal - "Oh my God, Mike, WTF," you are saying. But the thing is, Deal suffered from too much repetition at the end of the song when played live. "Don't ya let that deal go down" over and over and over, oftentimes, at a loud, off-key, overly fast pace. Not to mention, in later years, Jerry would just shred on this song...which is ridiculous. I'd argue that Deal devolved, not evolved, over the years. I know, now you hate me. It's fine.

3) Dark Star - Well, look, wasn't this the first thing Hunter ever wrote and gave to Jerry? It's good, sure, but it's not exactly his high water mark for lyrics. Those of you who bitch about Looks Like Rain having cringeworthy lyrics, try "transitive nightfall of diamonds" on for size. And they even named an album Nightfall of Diamonds. I like the song, I like some versions of it a lot...but when it dissolves into a 75-minute amorphous space jam, I lose interest.

Okay, enough of that. And now, to balance it out, here are three tunes I just love out of all proportion to their probable merits.

1) Mountains of the Moon - Why, oh, why did they play this for such a short time? I just downloaded the Hugh Hefner party version recently, because I didn't have it in my iTunes. I could listen to this song ten times in a row.

2) Black-Throated Wind - If you put together a worst-case scenario Bob setlist, it would be something like Around and Around>El Paso>Johnny B. Goode>Promised Land>Odessa>Looks Like Rain, or whatnot, right? Okay, so an ideal Bob list would be something like Truckin'>Black-Throated Wind>Sugar Magnolia>whatever else is great from Bob. Am I right?

3) Franklin's Tower - Okay, this one can get a little tepid at times, and at others, it's just overdone. But I really, really like this song, however repetitive it might get. I'm not sure it would make my top ten Dead tunes...but it might!

What about you guys? Go ahead, lay it on me!

I don't care too much for Playin - love the main ten riff, and could lead to some great jams, but generally think the song and lyrics are pretty dumb. Much prefer Playin' reprise. Same with Let it Grow - bad lyrics and lame song, great jams. Have to be in the mood for Dark Star, so usually skip it. Do people like Lazy Lightning? It is bad, Supplication can be good. 

Easy to list off a bunch of Bobby tunes. But I will say I like Victim and Corrina.

Also love Way to Go Home. Samba in the Rain? Not so much.

As for ideal Bob setlist something like: Stranger>Estimated>Other One>Truckin>Jack Straw>Sugar Mags. Encore: Money Money

I was with you until Money Money. :lol

Lord made a lady out of Adam's rib

Next thing you know, you got women's lib

Lovely to look upon, heaven to touch

It's a real shame they got to cost so much

She wants money...

Great discussion topic Mr. Heartbreak.

My top 3 regular rotation GD songs that I just can't listen to anymore (in no particular order):

Tennessee Jed

Ramblin Rose

BIODTL

I just never listen to those songs anymore when they come up; they each get an immediate "skip." They were all big faves when I was young and first getting into the Dead around the time of Europe '72, but I'm just done with them.

I limited my selections to heavy rotation GD tunes. By definition, that excluded some of the later era tunes that I can't stand. But that's an entirely different discussion (and one that's been had here several times). 

To add a comment on your flip side, I don't know how anyone could love Franklin's out of proportion to its merits! That is one of the best tunes in the entire songbook for me. 

I'm with you on "Dark Star". Yeah, it's a trippy tune and the tendency for it to get "out there" and free-form is cool, but the onus put on it as THE definitive GD tune doesn't work for me. 

As for "deal," wow. I listened to an '81 Hampton "Deal", again, last night three times. It has some sonic vibe to it near the end that's really cool (plus a really long held note by Garcia). I definitely like the evolution of of 'deal," too, and love the rapid-fire fanning Garcia could rub on it.

Truckin' always rubbed me wrong. 

I don't care too much for Playin - love the main ten riff, and could lead to some great jams, but generally think the song and lyrics are pretty dumb. Much prefer Playin' reprise. Same with Let it Grow - bad lyrics and lame song, great jams. Have to be in the mood for Dark Star, so usually skip it. Do people like Lazy Lightning? It is bad, Supplication can be good. 

Easy to list off a bunch of Bobby tunes. But I will say I like Victim and Corrina.

Also love Way to Go Home. Samba in the Rain? Not so much.

I always liked Victim (the song evolved really nicely and it paired well with Foolish, which I loved from the get-go at Alpine in '88) as well as Corrina (slinky tune with some really cool guitar work and love Garcia's background harmonies).

Mississippi Half Step is probably the one Garcia tune that doesn't do much for me. The Rio Grandio outro is nice, but otherwise I don't understand what the attraction is with this song. 

I love that song. I always have had a soft spot for songs that start out with a killer first line. 

On the day when I was born, Daddy sat down and cried. 

Plus the chorus is such a nice song-along. 

It occurred to me to ask: are there any Dead tunes you guys aren't too crazy about that would shock others to know?

What about you guys? Go ahead, lay it on me!

Looks like Rain might as well be titled Looks Like I'm Going to Skip This Song on my system. 

Here's one for you. I can't stand the lyrics to Jack Straw. 

I listen to the Dead a lot when I'm in the kitchen, which means when I'm on clean-up duty during the week, and then cooking and clean-up on the weekends. Whenever Jack Straw comes on, I sing the lyrics extra loudly so that my wife can give her standard "oh that's nice, hon" after I sing the opening line. That line, and I've always hated "The Eagles Filled The Skyyyyyyyyyy" line.

I guess I'll add Sugar Magnolia to that list too. That, or One More Saturday Night, uh uh huh.