• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, it's always eye-opening to read lists of "best of" or "worst of", so I shouldn't be surprised. But I'm surprised. 

List of tunes folks don't want to hear: Playin, Sugar Mag, Truckin (Truckin!!!???), Jack Straw (one of my favorite songs of all time, not just GD), Dark Star, Let it Grow.

From GD fans posting to a GD topic.  Will wonders never cease! :)  :headbonk  :blink  :guitar

Jack Straw is one of my favorites. 

My golf balls are logoed with "Jack Straw"

I'm not sure if anyone said they don't want to hear any tune mentioned above, just that they aren't that into them as others seem to be.

Truckin' always seemed like GD, jr. material to me for, some reason. It was ok fun to hear at shows but I have skipped it on tapes/discs and  I'd likely switch the radio station if it came on.

A friend got be a t-shirt up at Red Rocks a few years ago with "Truckin'" inside a CO licence plate. As a joke. The shirt was never worn and was given to someone else as a gift.

Looks like Rain might as well be titled Looks Like I'm Going to Skip This Song on my system. 

Here's one for you. I can't stand the lyrics to Jack Straw. 

I listen to the Dead a lot when I'm in the kitchen, which means when I'm on clean-up duty during the week, and then cooking and clean-up on the weekends. Whenever Jack Straw comes on, I sing the lyrics extra loudly so that my wife can give her standard "oh that's nice, hon" after I sing the opening line. That line, and I've always hated "The Eagles Filled The Skyyyyyyyyyy" line.

:rotfl

See, now, I probably like Jack Straw more than I should. I think it was the first song I really connected with on Europe '72, and like A-man, the harmony vocals moved me.

I don't know if I've told you guys this before in one of our 50K other Dead threads, but when I first heard the Dead, I thought they were kind of boring (!)... Well, my excuse is that I was very young and still mainly into hard rock: VH, Kiss, AC/DC, etc. etc. My brother was a major acidhead Deadhead, and I remember him listening to E72 on our little record player. I thought, "Wow, he must be really stoned to dig this shit that much." They were like a grower for me, as a band.

I also happen to feel like Truckin' is one of Weir's best tunes...not just in terms of being an epic. In later years, it devolved into a ridiculous shoutfest, but when it was pretty new, they really rocked it out. Oh, and Mississippi Half-Step is another all-timer for me, so there ya go.

Just to reiterate: I like Dark Star, but not anywhere near as much as later Garcia/Hunter tunes like Loser, Bird Song, The Wheel, Mission in the Rain...I'd probably take one epic Mission over 10 Dark Stars if I had to do a desert island/Sophie's Choice type deal on Dead tunes.

Glad I livened the thread up with some controversy! Heh.

Anyone listening to the JGB 11/23/91 release? Holy crap, A+++ recording. I attended the night before at the Hosemont, seats behind the stage.

OK, now I can go on with my day knowing the earth hasn't completely slipped off its axis! 

Ha!

Reminded me of the show from '71 that now slips my mind where some dude keeps pestering the band between songs to "Play Truckin'," ""Why won't you play it??!!," etc. 

Garcia: Come on, man. You gonna be a cop? Is that it? "Play Truckin', play Truckin'." We'll play whatever we like.

And a little later, to the dude, he says: "What about all those people that might not like Truckin'? You ever think about that?!"

Oh, and Mississippi Half-Step is another all-timer for me, so there ya go.

Ditto. '77-'78 era (William & Mary College pops immediately to mind as does Englishtown) are, generally, all amazing, imo. Some of the playing on the back half of the tune epitomizes that era of the band, for me.

Deal, not so much. Just burned out on that tune.

You obviously aren't listening to it correctly. I get excited upon the first note or 2 of the song just thinking about the potential enormity in the jam part of the tune (like on that 11.23.91 show!).

Anyone listening to the JGB 11/23/91 release? Holy crap, A+++ recording. I attended the night before at the Hosemont, seats behind the stage.

good to know. I was at the show the night after. 

Side note: I think my utmost favorite Garcia playing is on the GarciaLive Vol1: (March 1, 1980) His playing on Catfish John is other-worldly. 

Cue to "Ramble on Rose" and it's on that "track" after the song ends. Fantastic stage banter:

https://archive.org/details/gd71-10-30.prefm.nawrocki.26608.sbeok.shnf/gd1971-10-30d2t06.shn

Will check that out. I've always had the next night in St. Louis. Run Run Rudolph!

EDIT: Oops, the Fox Theater St. Louis show I'm thinking of is 12-10-71.

^^ Yeah, I've been listening to the 3/1/80 JGB show lately too. Great stuff, if you can ignore some cheeezy organ parts.

The first dead show I ever taped off the radio, the DJ called Ramble On Rose -  Rambling Eyes - while he was running down the 1st set song list. So for the longest time, I thought that was the name of the tune.

Still have my cassette with Rambling Eyes written on it. Not sure how the DJ came up with that title - I don' think eyes are even mentioned in the song.

Also - I agree, the new 91 Garcia release is a good one.

Also agree that Ozzie Ahlers' tone/sound/playing always bugged me.