• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea - they sell those at the store with Tie-dye shirts and Bob Marley incense packets. I have not seen anyone where those around here in a long time though.

They had stopped tunes and restarted them during actual concerts, too  - of course, I forget any examples.

First (and favorite) one that pops to mind is the Brokedown encore 2nd night Telluride '87. It's truly a hoot. If you haven't heard it, it's a must:

https://archive.org/details/gd87-08-16.prefm.ladner.4170.sbeok.shnf

Yeah - that one was funny.

We stayed in Telluride for a few days about 8 years ago. Had a couple of drinks at a bar where they had photos of the show on the wall. Plus, the hotel we stayed at a huge photo in the lobby.

A few of the patrons at the bar where living in the town when they played there - great stories. Sounds like it would have been a great time.

I believe the term 'Phish rats' is another name for the creature known as a 'wookie.' Urbandictionary.com has a pretty good definition:

A lifeless idiot whose whole existence consists of following around jam bands and not showering or shaving. When they're not panhandling or trying to rip people off, they're selling veggie burritos or grilled cheese to fund their useless existence. They stand for nothing and care about nobody else. (Not to be confused with a hippie. A hippie is someone who lives a certain lifestyle due to their beliefs. Hippies often shower and have jobs.)

I would add that wookies also smell of patchouli and/or body odor, and will typically listen to Phish, Umphrey's McGee and the Dead without any discernment of what songs are good or bad. They also are known for assuming that Not Fade Away and The Promised Land are Grateful Dead originals.

This is sort of surprising. I didn't know documentaries had soundtracks released:

The soundtrack to director Amir Bar-Lev’s Grateful Dead documentary Long Strange Trip will be made available as a double-disc set on May 26 as well as an Amazon-exclusive three-disc collection.

The film will also debut theatrically in New York and Los Angeles on May 26, as the soundtrack (co-produced by Dead archivist David Lemieux and Bar-Lev) includes many of the Dead’s greatest studio recordings as well as live cuts from Barton Hall 1977 and previously unreleased tracks like the February 14, 1970 “Dark Star” and “Dear Mr. Fantasy” > “Hey Jude” from July 2, 1989.

The Amazon-exclusive version will add nine additional tracks spanning massive improvisational highlights in tunes like “Eyes of the World” from August 6, 1974 as well as “Stella Blue” from July 5, 1981 and “The Days Between” from October 18, 1994.

The two-CD version will also be made available digitally and on streaming cervices and in addition, both versions will be released on vinyl.

LONG STRANGE TRIP MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK

Disc One

“Death Don’t Have No Mercy” (Live/Dead, Live At The Fillmore West, San Francisco, CA, 2/27/1969)
“St. Stephen” (Live/Dead, Live At The Fillmore West, San Francisco, CA, 2/27/1969)
“Uncle John’s Band” (Workingman’s Dead, 1970)
“Dark Star” (Live At The Fillmore East, New York, NY, 2/14/1970)*
“Easy Wind” (Workingman’s Dead, 1970)
“Candyman” (American Beauty, 1970)
“China Cat Sunflower”> (Live At Chateau d’Herouville, Herovuville, France, 6/21/1971)*
“I Know You Rider” (Live At Chateau d’Herouville, Herovuville, France, 6/21/1971)*
“Morning Dew” (Europe ’72, Live At The Lyceum Theatre, London, England, 5/26/1972)

Disc Two

“He’s Gone” (Sunshine Daydream, Live At Veneta, OR, 8/27/1972)
“The Music Never Stopped” (Live At The Great American Music Hall, San Francisco, CA, 8/13/1975)*
“Scarlet Begonias”> ( Cornell 5/8/77, Live At Barton Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 5/8/1977)
“Fire On The Mountain” (Cornell 5/8/77, Live At Barton Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 5/8/1977)
“Althea” (Go To Nassau, Live At Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY, 5/16/1980)
“Touch Of Grey” (In The Dark, 1987)
“Dear Mr. Fantasy”> (Live At Sullivan Stadium, Foxboro, MA, 7/2/1989)*
“Hey Jude” (Live At Sullivan Stadium, Foxboro, MA, 7/2/1989)*
“Ripple”> (American Beauty, 1970)
“Brokedown Palace” (American Beauty, 1970)

Disc Three – Amazon Exclusive (CD and LP)

“Playing In The Band” (Europe ’72: The Complete Recordings, Live At Beat-Club, West Germany, 4/21/1972)
“Eyes Of The World” ( Dick’s Picks, Vol. 31, Live At Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City, NJ, 1974)
“St. Stephen”> (Cornell 5/8/77, Live At Barton Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 5/8/1977)
“Not Fade Away”> (Cornell 5/8/77, Live At Barton Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 5/8/1977)
“St. Stephen” (Cornell 5/8/77, Live At Barton Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 5/8/1977)
“Dark Hollow” (Reckoning, 1981)
“Stella Blue” (Live At Zoo Amphitheater, Oklahoma City, OK, 7/5/1981)*
“Days Between” (Live At Madison Square Garden, New York, NY, 10/18/1994)*

2-LP Track Listing

“Death Don’t Have No Mercy” (Live/Dead, Live At The Fillmore West, San Francisco, CA, 2/27/1969)
“St. Stephen” (Live/Dead, Live At The Fillmore West, San Francisco, CA, 2/27/1969)
“Easy Wind” (Workingman’s Dead, 1970)
“Dark Star” (Live At The Fillmore East, New York, NY, 2/14/1970)*
“China Cat Sunflower”> (Live At Chateau d’Herouville, Herovuville, France, 6/21/1971)*
“I Know You Rider” (Live At Chateau d’Herouville, Herovuville, France, 6/21/1971)*
“The Music Never Stopped” (Live At The Great American Music Hall, San Francisco, CA, 8/13/1975)*
“Touch Of Grey” (In The Dark, 1987)
“Dear Mr. Fantasy”> (Live At Sullivan Stadium, Foxboro, MA, 7/2/1989)*
“Hey Jude” (Live At Sullivan Stadium, Foxboro, MA, 7/2/1989)*
“Ripple”> (American Beauty, 1970)
“Brokedown Palace” (American Beauty, 1970)

I never thought of that as a documentary. To me it is a concert film. I can't stand to watch that film anymore actually. Back in the early 90s, a friend of mind had it on VHS and we watched it too many times.

I have the official releases of everything but I can't see forking over the money for the accompanying CD release for about a half dozen tunes that have "never been officially released".

The Garcia and Grisman documentary that came out around 2000 also had a soundtrack. It's a nice way to relive memories of watching the movie, I guess...

I guess some do and some don't. I must have been thinking of something different. Speaking of documentaries, I recently watched the Stooges one on Amazon. I don't really get the appeal of that band - but I love to watch Iggy being interviewed. And I think there is a soundtrack.

Dave's Picks #22 is now up: http://www.dead.net/store/special-edition-shops/almanac/daves-picks-volume-22-felt-forum-nyc-12771

Feelin' fine with the Felt Forum! Dave's Picks Volume 22 presents the last stop on a collector's choice run in the Grateful Dead's home-away-from-home, New York City. 12/7/71 yields a highly pleasurable Pigpen-filled show and what was surely a top-notch Tuesday for all who attended. Talk about vibe-ing with the crowd! At their prime in terms of lineup and performance, the Dead churned out a batch of songs that would soon become well-worn Europe '72 favorites ("Jack Straw," "Brown Eyed Women") and also served up solid versions of freshly-minted classics ("Sugar Mag," "Friend," "Casey Jones"). That winning combination of Pigpen AND Keith? Nothing but peak "signature showstoppers" including what could potentially be the finest "Smokestack Lightning" of all time. The complete show runs a wee bit short (for a Grateful Dead show, that is) so we've rounded out the release with much of the second set from the previous night, December 6, 1971. With exceptional takes on the likes of "Wharf Rat" and "Uncle John's Band" and a massive "The Other One," we're pretty sure you won't mind. Limited to 16,500 individually numbered copies, Dave's Picks Volume 22: Felt Forum, New York, NY - 12/7/71 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and features illustrations by our 2017 Artist in Residence Dave Van Patten (stay tuned to learn more about the illustrator in an upcoming All In The Family piece). Grab a copy while you can.

odd....I've listened to 07 December 1971 a few different times and found it to be well done but nothing spectacular or exceptional. 05 December 1971 was the gem of the run in my opinion...

I agree.