• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always wondered why they only did this the one time, as it comes off really nicely.

Maybe the best one off cover? It is a pretty simple song, wasn't much for them to do with it, maybe too similar to some of their other folky songs. Garcia really shines though.

The unboxing of the new May '77 set, looking pretty sweet

https://youtu.be/HkS-R87kmkw

Very nice! They keep taking this to a higher level with the packaging.

Having a bit of a GD weekend. My wife was away, so I took the opportunity last night to blast Sunshine Daydream through the system for the first time in a while. I'm not all that interested in the old acid tests sound and videos interspersed throughout. But the pure concert footage and audio is outstanding. There's a reason this show is so highly regarded (I still have the Dupree's issue with the cover story calling this the greatest GD show of them all). Made for a great late Saturday night. There could have been some of Colorado's finest chocolates involved.

Today, its Dave Pick's 17- Selland Arena July 17, '74. Excellent Wall of Sound release, from just a few weeks before my first GD show 8-6-74.

Love that '72-74 era.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That Dark Star may be my favorite. Listening to it in an alternate state really enhances the experience, as I'd imagine it syncs up better with the bands consciousness when it was created. Transcendent. Even the El Paso that follows is palatable. The Sing Me Back Home is pure bliss.

Having a bit of a GD weekend. My wife was away, so I took the opportunity last night to blast Sunshine Daydream through the system for the first time in a while. I'm not all that interested in the old acid tests sound and videos interspersed throughout. But the pure concert footage and audio is outstanding. There's a reason this show is so highly regarded (I still have the Dupree's issue with the cover story calling this the greatest GD show of them all). Made for a great late Saturday night. There could have been some of Colorado's finest chocolates involved.

Today, its Dave Pick's 17- Selland Arena July 17, '74. Excellent Wall of Sound release, from just a few weeks before my first GD show 8-6-74.

Love that '72-74 era.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds like a lovely Saturday night.

x72blAj.jpg

I just picked up Dicks Picks 11  Stanley Theatre 9-27-72 and had a little listening party this weekend with it. I'm seeing where the folks who think so highly of Sept, Nov, and Dec '72 are coming from.  I still think Veneta is an all-time peak show, but they really didn't stop there, they kept that peak going for pretty much the rest of the year.  And it all started out with that nice March New York City run followed by Europe and then on to show after great show in Aug - Dec.

9-27-72 has a Dark Star>Cumberland followed by Attics of My Life and they had already done Brokedown Palace mid-first set.  Morning Dew opener?  Yes please! Smoking Deal and Big River, with a Playin' and Bird Song both in the first set, holy shit what a setlist!

x72blAj.jpg

I just picked up Dicks Picks 11  Stanley Theatre 9-27-72 and had a little listening party this weekend with it. I'm seeing where the folks who think so highly of Sept, Nov, and Dec '72 are coming from.  I still think Veneta is an all-time peak show, but they really didn't stop there, they kept that peak going for pretty much the rest of the year.  And it all started out with that nice March New York City run followed by Europe and then on to show after great show in Aug - Dec.

9-27-72 has a Dark Star>Cumberland followed by Attics of My Life and they had already done Brokedown Palace mid-first set.  Morning Dew opener?  Yes please! Smoking Deal and Big River, with a Playin' and Bird Song both in the first set, holy shit what a setlist!

I think it's telling that there are 3 Dick's Picks from a 10 day period from Sep. '72. They were on fire from Europe on.

For those interested...

2017_04_30_Edited__Garcia__et__al__Batch_03

1968-08-24.gd.sbd.los_angeles Dark Star > Stephen > 11 Jam > Death Don’t
1971-11-07.gd.fm.san_francisco Me & My Uncle > The Other One
1972-02-06.garsau.fm.san_francisco Masterpiece
1973-02-15.gd.matrix.madison Here Comes Sunshine
1974-02-22.gd.sbd.san_francisco Playin’ In The Band
1974-03-23.gd.matrix.daly_city China Cat > Rider
1974-05-21.gd.mtx.seattle Big River
1974-06-16.gd.matrix.des_moines Race Is On
1976-06-12.gd.mtx.boston Cassidy
1977-10-15.gd.sbd.dallas Sampson & Delilah
1979-05-13.gd.aud.portland Scarlet > Fire
1983-04-09.gd.sbd.hampton West L.A. Fadeaway
1989-07-04.gd.sbd.buffalo Cold Rain & Snow
Batch04 Teaser

West LA Fadeaway was always a nice jam-ish kind of song during the late 1980s. It got the crowd moving and had some good punch. The early versions though from, for example, 1983were pretty seedy. The structure wasn’t as tight but the result was an almost repugnant sound that made you almost smell the back corner toilet of a rent-by-the-hour motel. Yuck…The 09 April 1983 version really lends this feel. I wonder if this was always Hunter’s intent with the song…

The Dark Star > Stephen > 11 > Death from 24 August 1968 was always a favorite of mine. The Jerry wandering during the Star is not oppressive or depressive but rather curiously intense. Also, the repetitive Pig keyboard ditty is low in the mix which doesn’t hinder the listener’s ability to discern the complicated Lesh / Weir / Jerry interplay. There are other versions from this era that are more challenging to enjoy. The Stephen 11 Death are also really well performed. This summer 1968 material is interesting because it was no longer brand new but not yet mastered (as in 1969).

Continuing with shows I’ve always appreciated, the 15 October 1977 Sampson represents just one golden nugget from a chest of gems. Indeed, I’ve always felt that 15 October 1977 is arguably the most underrated show from 1977. The Terrapin > >>> Sug magnolia is exquisite for many different reasons, but here, we have a scorching Sampson with Jerry improvising over the chords like an angry chainsaw.

Spring and summer 1979 Scarfires were different than the 1977 and 1978 cohorts. The 79 versions seemed more probing and inquisitive and less about immediately reaching either massive peak or immediately reaching a Persian-induced slow transition. The 13 May 1979 Scarlet Fire is carefully cultivated with its aim seemingly less directed toward the end result but moreso toward the journey. Take, for example, the in-song jam during Scarlet. The ending peak is well done but not orgasmic per se. Quite the contrary, its effectiveness is the careful layering from Jerry that slowly builds to an effective crescendo. The transition to Fire is similarly built and really represents a deep but awake improvisation journey from Jerry. It is a fun transition because Jerry dashes about between obviously leading the direction, at other times following the direction, at other times dashing from the direction, and at other times seemingly being swallowed by the direction. The Fire is scorching as well…

The Race is On from 16 June 1974 is a fun version. Keith’s piano offer a bit of first place tension while Jerry’s soloing through the song makes race worth hearing. Also, this matrix version provides a really unique mix.

1976 was an interesting year. The band, in my opinion, was battling three different fronts – especially in the early June shows – rust, Mickey, and Persia. Obviously the band was rusty. Obviously switching from one to two drummers required an adjustment. And, more than likely, transitioning from Fall 1971 through 1974 Jerry to Persian Jerry required an adjustment. Indeed, I really don’t think the early June shows provide too much exceptional material. But, alas, the 12 June 1976 version of Cassidy is the exception to the rule. This version, while short compared with late 1980’s versions, really pops during the finale solo. The song portion is tight and Donna is not cacophonic.

1975, of course, featured the official release of Blues For Allah which included Slipknot!. Long before the official release, Jerry can be heard including the Slipknot riff in various jams (e.g., 1974-06-20 post Eyes jam). 1974-02-22 Playin’ was another example. The version very much stands on its own as an impressively, explorative, intense and tender reading of Playin – also including a couple Slipknot stretches.

The Here Comes Sunshine from 15 February 1973 is a masterpiece and in my opinion is the standard from which all other versions are compared. Each second, in my opinion, is exceptional.

The Cow Palace show on March 23, 1974 is obviously notorious for the PUMUP, but other songs were exceptionally played. Cassidy was nailed soundly. And, so was the China Rider. This version is carefully and almost slowly paced which allowed each jam portion to really stand out and drip. The Weir solo is exceptional and the ensuing Jerry led groove jams cooks. Throughout are numerous Lesh bombs.

21 May 1974 is of course known for the 16 hour PITB, but the Big River is worth hearing. Jerry was on fire...

04 July 1989 had some great moments. The jam during Cold Rain & Snow reached a nice amount of intensity…

Fall 1971 was interesting for many reasons, one of which was the bands obvious attempts to plug songs into the middle of exploration jams. 07 November 1971 featured a common variant of Me & My Uncle plugged into the middle of The Other One. The Muncle is very tight and raw. The ensuing Other One picks up sprints through several themes before the final verse. The “in-song” muncles always, to me, seem more intense and worth hearing then early first set versions.

Finally, there is the beautiful version Masterpiece from the 06 February 1972 Garsau show. Jerry’s voice is so clean and strong and matched with impeccable plucking during the soloing. Truly this version, for lack of a better word, was a masterpiece…

As this is the third batch, a “batch 4” teaser is included for the next batch to come…

Enjoy…

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ueelr6x7km5rl40/AADvNa3cgvFVjmDSJLEwXfqUa?dl=0

password rogerrafa