Seeing the new Dead movie Thursday evening in Madison...4 hours...

Long drive for a movie but it DOES look fantastic!

Considering going up to Red Rocks tomorrow night for it (with a band covering GD before-hand). 

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's hope they don't follow the trend of sticking animation sequences in the film to portray what the narrator is saying. I hate that shit. I think I first saw it in that sketchy Ginger Baker film. 

fun read. And I love the accompanying illustration.

Ouch, only 3 songs post 1980.

I think the list is too 2nd-set heavy.

I'll put in for the Feb 1973 Lincoln NE Big Railroad Blues.

I would also put in for an earlier version of Wharf Rat than they listed ('77 I think?). I tend to think the "best" versions of their songs are more often than not when they're fresh and new. 

Speaking of animated shit... All of the 1989/90 official release videos are great ---- except for the bullshit psychedelic crap that incorporate here and there that obviates a view of the band...

Holy shit I can't stand that crap. Animated noise that's supposed to be replicating something that can't be replicated. Just show me the band, man!

Expected to be outraged, but the list is within the realms of acceptable Deadhead discourse and judgement. They got some pretty good writers and Heads to put it together. 

I like Jarnow as a writer and as a knowledgeable fan, but with any "list" they really boil down to personal tastes, obviously. I'd take an early 80s "Wheel" over a '76 'Wheel," for example, and I would have definitely included a great '73/early '74 China->Rider with the meat of a Feelin' Groovey in it. And any list like this deserves a "Bertha," too.

I like Jarnow as a writer and as a knowledgeable fan, but a with any "list" they really boil down to personal tastes, obviously. I'd take an early 80s "Wheel" over a '76 'Wheel," for example, and I would have definitely included a great '73/early '74 China->Rider with the meat of a Feelin' Groovey in it. And any list like this deserves a "Bertha," too.

Bertha definitely.

Also, the Cumberland Blues that opens the Europe 72 album cooks...

Each of the entries on that Pitchfork list has a Key Later Version addendum for all the post-hiatus Deadheads...although a few are Key Earlier Versions from whenever. Plenty of 80s-90s love.

Kudos to LouieB for playing the Cornell Scarlet>Fire on WNUR today. Put in a request and a bunch of dirty hippies show up for your radio show. Ha!

I like Jarnow as a writer and as a knowledgeable fan, but with any "list" they really boil down to personal tastes, obviously. I'd take an early 80s "Wheel" over a '76 'Wheel," for example, and I would have definitely included a great '73/early '74 China->Rider with the meat of a Feelin' Groovey in it. And any list like this deserves a "Bertha," too.

There were a few instances in which I disagreed with their choice, but my #1 was their second choice (6/26/74 China Rider for example). 

I love 77 Wharf Rats.

I love 77 Wharf Rats.

No doubt.

Here's a great one (U New Mexico '77) I'm sure you've heard but posting for those who may not have. Part of this show is on one of the Road Trips on a "Bonus" cd. The Iko out of Space into a fantastic Wheel and then a mesmerizing Wharf rat topped by a full-on Sugar Mags makes this a favorite chunk from '77:

https://archive.org/details/gd77-10-07.pset2-sbd.kiefe-fiske.1191.sbefixed.shnf

After a bit of contemplation, I'd say the 8/6/71 Hard to Handle is the most glaring omission from the list. Maybe not included as it is not an essential song to their repertoire, and the versions did not vary much, but this is the mother of all peaks. The most catastrophic explosion in their live history should be included on any best of live list. 

fun read. And I love the accompanying illustration.

Ouch, only 3 songs post 1980.

I think the list is too 2nd-set heavy.

I'll put in for the Feb 1973 Lincoln NE Big Railroad Blues.

I would also put in for an earlier version of Wharf Rat than they listed ('77 I think?). I tend to think the "best" versions of their songs are more often than not when they're fresh and new. 

_completely_ agree. that Big RR blues is, in my opinion, the finest i've heard (c.f., 10.19.1974 version).

The pitchfork list was interesting, but it became clear to me that the authors have lives (unlike me who seems lately to only be listening to Garcia et al)...

I don't think they have lives, but also listen to other bands.

_completely_ agree. that Big RR blues is, in my opinion, the finest i've heard (c.f., 10.19.1974 version).

There's a theory floating around that any first set with a Big RR in automatically it makes it a hot set. I was thinking the other day about tunes that never failed to kick ass, and Big RR is one of them. Another that came to mind was GDTRFB. Seems like it was always spot-on.....

Listening to 28 August 1981 right now....amazing Wheel....

Shake > Lost > Circ > Wheel > jam > Never Trust...

yup...its that good...

Listening to 28 August 1981 right now....amazing Wheel....

Shake > Lost > Circ > Wheel > jam > Never Trust...

yup...its that good...

Yeah, that's a sweet show (Long Beach). Cool Jam out of Space, too.

I've got 5.13.81 Providence playing on gdradio right now, not a Wheel out of Space but a somewhat terse yet nice Aiko....

ed. Just went to look up that Long Beach show...pre-D/S Wheel, forgot about that!

I'm slowly becoming a candidate for frequent headyversion.com perusal. I disagree with many of the choices, of course, but I love discovering (or revisiting) great versions. Today it got me back to the Tuscaloosa Scarlet > Fire, which just might end up being my #1.

I was there!

Nice! Two days after my first show at New Haven. I really There's a little Wand Dang Doodle riffing (Brent) before the Jack Straw opener, I noticed. I never made it to Providence for a show, but really like the 4.20.83 with Esau, Maybe You Know, Bertha to open 2nd set, particularly.