• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^The Band's Canadian*. *Levon Helm being the sole exception.

I would include a vote for Los Lobos on my ballot, if I were given one. 

Wouldn't that make Los Lobos Mexican (not really sure if any of them were born in Mexico, joking, not racist)?

I included the Band as they were all living in the US during their tenure as the Band. Also, Levon was Robbie's muse, through which he channeled his interpretation of the American South. Being outsiders certainly made their take on Americana interesting. I consider them an American band, but can see why others may not.

Certainly would include GnR on the list of great American bands. Still worth seeing if you are into big stadium rock shows.

Certainly would include GnR on the list of great American bands. Still worth seeing if you are into big stadium rock shows.

I'm not into stadium shows at all but will go to Mile High this Aug. as my wife has never seen them. I'd prefer the satellite....

I'm not into stadium shows at all but will go to Mile High this Aug. as my wife has never seen them. I'd prefer the satellite....

You know, seeing Knockin' on Heaven's Door in that crowd is a pretty riveting experience. People still really love that band, and they deliver.

3 episodes into the doc. Good stuff. Cool unseen footage. A lot of the history, we've all heard before. I think Anthem to Beauty may have done a better job with that actually, as it was more focused on a smaller time frame. Revealing insights from Trist and Cutler, who I've not heard much from before. Main take away so far, a new appreciation for my favorite verse in Ramble on Rose:

Just like Mary Shelley

Just like Frankenstein...

Amazon Prime has the doc up now. Watched the 1st episode (they divided it into 6 episodes)

So well made. I'm loving it.

Oh shit, this is great news. We just resumes Better Call Saul Season 2 last night and have Orange is the New Black hitting this or next week, too. Last day of school today (though I'm teaching summer school). Dead & LLC next week, I believe, too. So much time and so little to do....

Oh shit, this is great news. We just resumes Better Call Saul Season 2 last night and have Orange is the New Black hitting this or next week, too. Last day of school today (though I'm teaching summer school). Dead & LLC next week, I believe, too. So much time and so little to do....

Don't forget to watch Fargo on FX....best show on Tv...

I'm not in Amazon Prime so not sure why I could see almost all of 1st episode before I had to leave to work. Maybe is a bait for picking new Premium customers when they try to see episode 2 et al.? 

I'm not in Amazon Prime so not sure why I could see almost all of 1st episode before I had to leave to work. Maybe is a bait for picking new Premium customers when they try to see episode 2 et al.? 

Think you can sign up for free 30 day Prime trial

I am sure the above is a boot.

Must admit, I never understood why someone would ever buy a Grateful Dead boot. I still see them at a few used records stores around Chicago.

I remember there use to be bootleg cd by the name of Earthquake Country in the place I use to buy cds. It was suppose to be the last album they never finished. The guy who ran the place sold them for 50 bucks a cd. 

^Thanks, that's it I think

Anyone heard Spectrum  3 18 95? I've just seen this thing thay have named 'Visions of the Future". But being that year I think I'll pass

attachicon.gifcover.jpg

Certainly the best show from 95 that I've heard. Not sure why they released the Utah show on the 30 Trips box instead. Can't recall the first set, but great set 2. My favorite Iko, followed by All Too Much, which I really enjoyed. Likely the best version of Visions, and it was included on Fallout from the Philzone. Certainly worth a listen.

Certainly the best show from 95 that I've heard. Not sure why they released the Utah show on the 30 Trips box instead. Can't recall the first set, but great set 2. My favorite Iko, followed by All Too Much, which I really enjoyed. Likely the best version of Visions, and it was included on Fallout from the Philzone. Certainly worth a listen.

That's weird. I've always thought 9/13/93 was the 'last' best show...also at the Spectrum. Pre drums is x-factor material

Scarlet/Fire

Playin

Dark Star

Terrapin

https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~./gdead/dead-sets/93/9-13-93.txt

Maybe the two best American bands period. Grateful Dead were certainly the most important American band, due to their genius and impact.

Other contenders would be: CCR (were they really a band or more of Fogerty and support), Beach Boys (I don't think so), the Band (eh?), Talking Heads, Nirvana. Who else? I'd put Dead and Allmans above all those by a long shot.

I guess you can't include solo artists in the band category, so no Dylan, Elvis, Chuck, etc.

Eagles!     :stunned

Overall the documentary is certainly excellent. Really is more the story of Jerry Garcia in the Grateful Dead, just as the Other One documentary had the focus on Weir. But this makes the case that Jerry was the most important and it was his vision that was being pursued. Others may disagree. A doc on Phil may be interesting, but maybe more of a focus on his post-Dead life. Probably would skip a Mickey or Billy doc, but there are more movies to be made on this subject.

A few other thoughts:

Barbara Meier was/is very attractive. Not sure how you let her get away twice.

Heroin can get pretty dark.

Dark Star is a prayer.

I never realized how similar Days Between was to China Doll musically. 

Hopefully there will be a comprehensive track list of all the music used in the film. I think they revealed them all in the closing credits of each episode, but I'd like a handy list. 

The next President did a great job representing the Deadhead experience. 

Don't spoil what occurs during Hunter's appearance for anyone.

That's all for now.

Not sure what the last best is, that one looks good. But I think 3/18 is the best from 95.

I was thinking post-91. Need to revisit 3/18.

Watched part one last night. I'm taking my time and savoring it. Excellent so far from interviews to graphics to Bob sitting in full lotus!

@JW

Great points! I do agree about Meir. As I remember, the second time they got together was a good time for Garcia. Not sure what happened there. I would love to see a Phil doc, especially his life after the Dead.