• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always liked the 4.13.1983 Scarlet Fire...

UVM. I still have a pretty raw audience recording of this show on tape. A really nice jam in the Scarlet. That whole show is very strong. That was the debut of "Maybe You Know," as well. 

UVM. I still have a pretty raw audience recording of this show on tape. A really nice jam in the Scarlet. That whole show is very strong. That was the debut of "Maybe You Know," as well. 

You can't get that excited for the debut of Maybe You Know. It sounds like an outtake for the theme song to Perfect Strangers or some crappy 80's sitcom.

You can't get that excited for the debut of Maybe You Know. It sounds like an outtake for the theme song to Perfect Strangers or some crappy 80's sitcom.

Ha! I LIKE the tune (particularly the 4.20.83 version). That '86 one (last one) was pretty fucked up with just Brent and the drummers. Yikes.

Saw the "long strange trip" movie last night...really enjoyed it.

Random thoughts -

Jerry emphasizing from the very beginning of the band members listening to each other on stage.

Jerry only wanting to have fun - nonstop.

Jerry arguing that the violence associated with the Hell's Angels was caused by society as a whole - not solely by the Hell's Angels...

Jerry crying during the apex of morning dew on 26 May 1972 and the story of the recording engineer...

Donna looking very young...

Dosing everyone during a Playboy After Dark show...

Jerry aging year to year much more rapidly than other band members...

Jerry marrying (abruptly) girlfriend from late 1960s...being happy for about 3 years...then using heroin again. She asked him if he was using again...He told her it was time for her to leave...

Complete no-mention of Vince Welnick...

Jerry becoming the leader he never wanted to be...

It was simultaneously tragic and inspiring...

I've seen DSO 4 times in about a 5 year span ('99-'04 ish). This was when they did full GD shows (do they still do that?). Anyway...I called all those shows but one (which I think was a '77 show) before they announced it at the end. My friends would freak out on me haha. I must be 'on the spectrum' or something. 

I'm the same way. I remember in early 00s I saw them do a late 80s show and played Victim. I never thought I'd see a cover band do that song. They are damn fun to see, but the 'uncanny valley' is sometimes hard to climb out of.

Going to JRAD next weekend. Haven't formed an opinion on them yet. Looking forward to it. Love Russo, of course.

There's a theory floating around that any first set with a Big RR in automatically it makes it a hot set. I was thinking the other day about tunes that never failed to kick ass, and Big RR is one of them. Another that came to mind was GDTRFB. Seems like it was always spot-on.....

I'd add Dark Star to that list. 

Saw the "long strange trip" movie last night...really enjoyed it.

Random thoughts -

Jerry crying during the apex of morning dew on 26 May 1972 and the story of the recording engineer...

Complete no-mention of Vince Welnick...

There's the yin/yang of what you posted (I haven't seen the movie yet - no places anywhere nearby). The first thought is absolutely a wonderful thing - exactly what I want to see. That Dew is (for most of us, I'd assume) the first exposure to the Dew we came to know and love. That song is EASILY the #1 JG GD ballad of choice for me, although I love damn near all of them.

Thought #2 is fucking criminal, an abomination. The fucking guy was in the band 5 YEARS. I don't care WTF anyone thinks of Vince Welnick, he was a band member, for Chrissakes. For many, that incarnation was the only GD they ever saw - my old lady saw 'em 5 times from 6/28/92 to 7/2/95 and she saw a couple of really good shows. I HATE they didn't mention Vince (RIP).

Not surprising though - same as the recent Scorpions documentaries I watched. The bass player (Francis Buchholz) was no where to be seen. And the same with Black Sabbath removing Bill Ward from old photos.

I think Bob and Phil (and probably mickey bill) blame Vince for the 92,3,4 and 5 heroin abuse.

Kind of hypocritical considering the whole ethos of the band was to not blame anyone for anything.

I think the Phil and Bob realized in 92ish that they were at a cross roads. They tried limiting who had access to jerry. Vince fell through the cracks...or Jerry found him...who knows...

Another diss - no mention of Bill Graham...

The interviews with the director explain why many details were left out. They were contracted  to do a 90 minute movie, and by the time they got to 1974 they had 2 hours. His goal wasn't to create a wikipedia list of every album, detail, etc. He was going for a story that wasn't intended to be comprehensive. Everyone that's seen the movie has had a very positive reaction. I don't understand the idea of reviewing movies people haven't seen yet, but I guess that's what internet message boards are for.

The story of the last few years are about Jerry's decline and the explosion of the scene, not Vince's harmony vocals or Samba in the Rain.

I remember fans really being supportive of Vince and his new songs. It kind of became an inside joke to laugh at his tunes, but in love. I still think his tunes would've fit better in the first set. It's only in retrospect that Vince's sound was a bit jarring. Much of that due to sound mix and his use of a fucking synth. It would be cool to hear more about how Vince was hired etc. Also, what happened after Jerry died. That stuff is fascinating to me. I remember rumors that Santana or David Hidalgo had auditioned for the band. 

Looking forward to hopefully hearing a stream of tonight's Dead/Co. show. Their posters and stage set up are pretty cool. The visual aspect of the band has always been part of it all for me. I need to set up some sort of alter in my home with a steely at the center  :twitchsmile  :dribble

There actually was an idea thrown out there for a hot minute about NOT replacing Brent and going out as a 5 piece, from what I've read. But ultimately Garcia had to know that would mean a lot more of the burden for sound falling in his lap. I think Jerry loved Brent for a number of reasons - #1 being (of course) he was a real PLAYER who was inventive and sympathetic to the band. But he also knew he could cruise through a set and take it easy and Brent would be there with the force of his musical personality to make things sound good. Basically, he just didn't want to have to work that hard anymore.

Mike Finnegan would have been my choice, but I don't think he was ever brought up. I think he was 12 steppin' at the time, and that certainly wouldn't have been a great fit in that environment! 

Everyone that's seen the movie has had a very positive reaction. I don't understand the idea of reviewing movies people haven't seen yet, but I guess that's what internet message boards are for.

I agree - - i really enjoyed seeing hte movie at an actual movie theater with great sound and lounge chairs. It was well done.

My "random thoughts" were not meant as criticism - just things I found interesting.

I agree - - i really enjoyed seeing hte movie at an actual movie theater with great sound and lounge chairs. It was well done.

My "random thoughts" were not meant as criticism - just things I found interesting.

Sorry, I was trying to say it doesn't make sense that people who have not seen the movie yet are offering critiques or reviews. If you've seen it, would love to hear your opinion. 

Unrelated but want to say, Brent Mydland could stand on 5th Ave shooting people and his fans would still love him. 

It's not *only* in retrospect that I thought he sounded horrible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I thought maybe you thought Vince was the best synth player ever! LOL. I guess live he was easier to listen to.

There actually was an idea thrown out there for a hot minute about NOT replacing Brent and going out as a 5 piece, from what I've read. But ultimately Garcia had to know that would mean a lot more of the burden for sound falling in his lap. I think Jerry loved Brent for a number of reasons - #1 being (of course) he was a real PLAYER who was inventive and sympathetic to the band. But he also knew he could cruise through a set and take it easy and Brent would be there with the force of his musical personality to make things sound good. Basically, he just didn't want to have to work that hard anymore.

Mike Finnegan would have been my choice, but I don't think he was ever brought up. I think he was 12 steppin' at the time, and that certainly wouldn't have been a great fit in that environment! 

Interesting. Thanks for the info. Did not know this. Wonder why they didn't just do '91 with only Bruce? I can see them not giving a shit though. Being in a band itself is exhausting. Trying to deal with sound etc. can just be overwhelming.

Mike Finnegan played with CSN I think.