I was thinking post-91. Need to revisit 3/18.

Watched part one last night. I'm taking my time and savoring it. Excellent so far from interviews to graphics to Bob sitting in full lotus!

@JW

Great points! I do agree about Meir. As I remember, the second time they got together was a good time for Garcia. Not sure what happened there. I would love to see a Phil doc, especially his life after the Dead.

You will find out what happened to Meir. Tragic.

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overall the documentary is certainly excellent. Really is more the story of Jerry Garcia in the Grateful Dead, just as the Other One documentary had the focus on Weir. But this makes the case that Jerry was the most important and it was his vision that was being pursued. Others may disagree.

The next President did a great job representing the Deadhead experience. 

Don't spoil what occurs during Hunter's appearance for anyone.

I agree that the film holds the view that Jerry was the primary visionary in the band.  I have mixed thoughts about whether that is true, but the film certainly seems to think so, even though there is mention (from McNally) of the importance of the different musical backgrounds of the musicians and the conversationality of the Dead's music coming from bluegrass (or Dixieland jazz, as David Crosby would say)

I got a chuckle from Al Franken's comments comparing a May '80 Althea to a Hampton '81 Althea.  "That one has the flavor of the May '80, but its NOT the May '80 version".  Sounds exactly like something any Deadhead including me might say.  "I'm not a Dead scholar, I'm a Dead fan."  They did a GREAT job sound editing this thing, going back and forth between the two versions while it was being discussed.  I loved hearing that.

Hard to resist telling the story of Hunter's appearance, but it was hilarious to me and fucking perfect, I loved it.

Overall, after watching 5 episodes, I have been emotionally moved, entertained, heard a few stories I didn't know about and think they have created an excellent document to show to people who were not there what the Dead are all about and how they got that way. This is what I will show people when they want to know about the Dead.  That and a good batch of music.

Most emotional parts for me:

Steve Wiz Leonard almost losing it when relating seeing tears come down Jerry's face while playing Morning Dew at the last show of the Europe '72 tour.

Close up of Jerry singing Stella Blue coming out of Space while Steve Silberman describes the psychedelic soul journey a second set could be particularly for those tripping.

Just seeing the looks of ecstasy on the faces of the dancers and spinners in all the 80s crowd shots, which hit home very hard how important those times were to me and how terribly much I miss them.

Watching the shots of people with their tape collections and close up of the tapes themselves and the tape covers made me determined that I will never get rid of my 300 hours of cassette tapes.  They are of no value to anyone except sentimental value to me.

Looking forward to AND dreading the last episode, its gonna be sad.

JRAD last night in Atlanta. The twists and turns these dudes take are like '90s Phish. Changes in tempos, starts/stops, space. If they don't plan some of that stuff out, then I don't know what to say. Teases everywhere. Last night they teased Friends by Zep during Trucking I think. Among other highlights was a Help>Elizabeth Reed>Thrown Stones. Transitions were seamless. BTW, during every jam this woman next to me kept saying, "Now they're just being silly!". Hilarious.

Anyway, great fun with many surprises. Definitely bringing something new to the music. Setlist below may have some mistakes.

Jam>

Jack Straw>

Truckin'>

Bertha>

Tennesse Jed

Black Throated>

Jam>

Music Never Stopped>

Dancin' In The Streets

Help>

Elizabeth Reed>

Throwin'

No encore or set break. Festival show with curfew.

I've only watched parts 1 and 2 of the doc, and part 1 was late at night, so I need to go back and catch the parts where my eyes were closing. I'm going slow and savoring. I don't like the way it is broken into so many parts. I don't need to see the credits 6 times over, wish it was 1 long running film, or maybe 2 sets.  

JRAD last night in Atlanta. The twists and turns these dudes take are like '90s Phish. Changes in tempos, starts/stops, space. If they don't plan some of that stuff out, then I don't know what to say. Teases everywhere. Last night they teased Friends by Zep during Trucking I think. Among other highlights was a Help>Elizabeth Reed>Thrown Stones. Transitions were seamless. BTW, during every jam this woman next to me kept saying, "Now they're just being silly!". Hilarious.

Anyway, great fun with many surprises. Definitely bringing something new to the music. Setlist below may have some mistakes.

Jam>

Jack Straw>

Truckin'>

Bertha>

Tennesse Jed

Black Throated>

Jam>

Music Never Stopped>

Dancin' In The Streets

Help>

Elizabeth Reed>

Throwin'

No encore or set break. Festival show with curfew.

The shows they did with Oteil a few months back were outstanding, and featured an excellent Liz Reed. Lotta good youtubes of that run out there. They definitely bring more of a Phish mentality to the Dead catalog, with the energy, teases, and segues. Not better, but guaranteed fun. They also actually play a lot of those classic Bob Weir tunes, which sadly Bob doesn't play much anymore in his various bands since 95. That show only has 3 Jerry tunes, but looks fun as hell. Wish Bob wouldn't neglect his tunes in favor of barking out Jerry's songs.

I've only watched parts 1 and 2 of the doc, and part 1 was late at night, so I need to go back and catch the parts where my eyes were closing. I'm going slow and savoring. I don't like the way it is broken into so many parts. I don't need to see the credits 6 times over, wish it was 1 long running film, or maybe 2 sets.  

I think it was one long film, with maybe an intermission. Then Amazon bought it and split it up, for whatever reason. The breaks seem pretty artificial. Maybe in eventual DVD or download release, the breaks won't be there. The breaks do allow for a lot of extra music in the credits though, as I believe someone noted.

I think it was one long film, with maybe an intermission. Then Amazon bought it and split it up, for whatever reason. The breaks seem pretty artificial. Maybe in eventual DVD or download release, the breaks won't be there. The breaks do allow for a lot of extra music in the credits though, as I believe someone noted.

I noted that, but I retract my statement!

I forget which episode it was (2?), but I think they were playing PITB over the end credits, but then it faded out before it was through, and then the rest of the credits (4 min or so?) were set to dead silence. Dumb.

The Brigid Meier story is a heartbreaker, but obviously Jerry was preoccupied the 1st go-round with the banjo, and with illicit substances the 2nd time. She seems like a warm and lovely person. 

The last chapter of the doc is so sad. Jerry aged so quickly. Hard to believe he had just turned 53 when he died. I didn't have a problem with the doc being so Jerry centric. In my eyes he was definitely the driving force. 

Just watched episode 3. 1972 and Pigpen. Wow, that was fantastic. Winston, that's the one that fades out to silence from PITB over the credits. I think the silence makes sense, as the last several minutes were Cutler talking about the death of Pigpen and so many crew members. I took it as several minutes of silence in honor. Either way, this episode was the fucking Grateful Dead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Up to part 5 of the movie - nothing real new (information wise) - but it is nice to see some footage that I have never seen before - the European footage was pretty cool.

Also heard the Dead & Co's take of China Doll, with Oteil on vox - pretty nice version.

Just watched episode 3. 1972 and Pigpen. Wow, that was fantastic. Winston, that's the one that fades out to silence from PITB over the credits. I think the silence makes sense, as the last several minutes were Cutler talking about the death of Pigpen and so many crew members. I took it as several minutes of silence in honor. Either way, this episode was the fucking Grateful Dead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh, if it was a moment of silence, then I'm the dummy.

The shows they did with Oteil a few months back were outstanding, and featured an excellent Liz Reed. Lotta good youtubes of that run out there. They definitely bring more of a Phish mentality to the Dead catalog, with the energy, teases, and segues. Not better, but guaranteed fun. They also actually play a lot of those classic Bob Weir tunes, which sadly Bob doesn't play much anymore in his various bands since 95. That show only has 3 Jerry tunes, but looks fun as hell. Wish Bob wouldn't neglect his tunes in favor of barking out Jerry's songs.

You're right. The sets I've looked at seem to have many Bobby tunes. Good stuff. I'm checking out the Oteil stuff now. They had another bassist the other night. Guess that position is in flux.

You're right. The sets I've looked at seem to have many Bobby tunes. Good stuff. I'm checking out the Oteil stuff now. They had another bassist the other night. Guess that position is in flux.

The main bass player (Dave Dreiwitz) is in Ween - at times, Ween is on tour while JRAD is out and about, hence they find a sub once in a while. 

Still need to catch a JRAD show.

I finished watching the six episodes and overall really loved it. I particularly enjoyed the first few as they have the totally cool live footage not previously available and the end is of course a bit depressing. A monumental task distilled down to 4 hours so i can see why Phil recently said there is much of the story not told by this documentary. I am curious as to why no interviews and really no mention that i can recall of Mountain Girl and i suppose Jerry's other 3 kids were not interested or approached. Also interesting no interview with Deborah Koons Garcia, his wife when he passed away. Only so much they could include. It would have been nice to hear from Bruce Hornsby as well as he was a major contributor when Brent died and just great on the 15 or so shows i saw with him just in 1990. Also don't recall the movie including anything from Tom Constanten.  Again, 4 hours only allows so much time and all in all i just loved it.

As for JRAD, be sure to check them out. Living in NY it has been easy to catch them and so i have seen them about 10 times and think they are as good as any iteration of the Dead cover bands. I don't include Dead and Company as a cover band really and they are in my view the best post Jerry iteration that includes any original members. Heading out to Boulder tomorrow for the shows at Folsom field Friday and Saturday and then stopping in Louisville for Wilco Sunday on the way home. Nice weekend!

Yes, I think the director focused on people who gave the best interviews, which is why Cutler and Trist were featured so much. Other people just did not make themselves available, which I believe is the case with Mtn Girl. Same with Hunter, but they tracked him down for one of the highlights. No Bill Graham either, and I think the influence of the Pranksters and Cassady was minimized. Also surprised that as significant as death was throughout the film, they left out the impact of the car crash in which Jerry's best friend died. There was definitely a narrative framework, and things were included that fit into that. 

I heard on the XM Tales show that Mountain Girl is putting out a book --- so I am guessing she is keeping her stories to herself for the time being. 

What's that thing John Lennon once said? Everyone get's a book - the gardener, your ex-wife, etc. I am surprised she has not written one until now.

As for JRAD, be sure to check them out. Living in NY it has been easy to catch them and so i have seen them about 10 times and think they are as good as any iteration of the Dead cover bands. I don't include Dead and Company as a cover band really and they are in my view the best post Jerry iteration that includes any original members. Heading out to Boulder tomorrow for the shows at Folsom field Friday and Saturday and then stopping in Louisville for Wilco Sunday on the way home. Nice weekend!

Now that sounds like a great run of shows --- enjoy!

What's that thing John Lennon once said? Everyone get's a book - the gardener, your ex-wife, etc. I am surprised she has not written one until now.

Yep, I guess --Amir Bar-Lev was on the show this past week --a caller called in and mentioned the MG omission in the doc. and Lambert mentioned her upcoming book -- I am assuming Bar-Lev definitely reached out to her - why wouldn't he. 

Hopefully her book is well written and interesting. She definitely has a tale to tell.

Yep, I guess --Amir Bar-Lev was on the show this past week --a caller called in and mentioned the MG omission in the doc. and Lambert mentioned her upcoming book -- I am assuming Bar-Lev definitely reached out to her - why wouldn't he. 

Hopefully her book is well written and interesting. She definitely has a tale to tell.

Kesey's girlfriend and mother of one of his kids, while he was married. Then Jerry's baby mama. Apparently she was pretty good at growing grass too.

I just started watching it. That is far out they are starting with the Frankenstein story. I recall watching that on AMC a long time a ago. 

One of the nice things about Amazon is you can get all that information on the left side of the screen. This comes in handy with regards to the songs being played in this film. 

What's that "holy grail" film? I could not understand what Bob's wife was saying. 

I just started watching it. That is far out they are starting with the Frankenstein story. I recall watching that on AMC a long time a ago. 

One of the nice things about Amazon is you can get all that information on the left side of the screen. This comes in handy with regards to the songs being played in this film. 

What's that "holy grail" film? I could not understand what Bob's wife was saying. 

Frankenstein was on AMC this past weekend. Funny catching some of the shots that were used in the doc.

I think the holy grail film was the recordings made of them on their first trip to England, that had never before been seen. Funny they call it the "holy grail," as there is another scene in the movie, with the cart being wheeled thru the vault, that is very reminiscent of the ending scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark. I asked the director if it was intentional, but he gave an indirect answer about it being the "Dead Sea Scrolls" rather than the "grail." 

Bob's wife was just talking about watching the film at TRI and getting take out.