• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terrapin and Estimated were the most important songs that year - both introduced and played the most frequently. And both being opposing sides of the psychedelic coin. Terrapin being the inspiration, transcendence, striving for utopia, and Estimated being delusion and darkness. Equinox, a forgotten Lesh opus of the era, bridges the two worlds lyrically with lyrics like "Every man is a prophet/at the mercy of a fool." That's a real quick summary from one reading that probably doesn't do it justice.

I'll have to re-read that section. But I seem to recall that the author said something about Terrapin being a spiritual "replacement" for Dark Star. Am I right or am I misremembering that? I thought it was a weird comparison, because every version of Terrapin I've heard is basically "the same" - meaning that it's unique (to me) in that of all the songs the Dead plays, there seems to be the least amount of wiggle room in Terrapin to be spontaneously creative. Whereas on the other side of the spontaneity spectrum is Dark Star, where every version is so unique. 

There's no "jam" or "solos" or "weirdness" in Terrapin. It has its structure, and there's no place for them to veer from it, at least in the versions I've heard. 

I'll have to re-read that section. But I seem to recall that the author said something about Terrapin being a spiritual "replacement" for Dark Star. Am I right or am I misremembering that? I thought it was a weird comparison, because every version of Terrapin I've heard is basically "the same" - meaning that it's unique (to me) in that of all the songs the Dead plays, there seems to be the least amount of wiggle room in Terrapin to be spontaneously creative. Whereas on the other side of the spontaneity spectrum is Dark Star, where every version is so unique. 

There's no "jam" or "solos" or "weirdness" in Terrapin. It has its structure, and there's no place for them to veer from it, at least in the versions I've heard. 

They were making a Dark Star & Terrapin comparison, not sure it was discussed as spiritual. I do think Terrapin replaced Dark Star as the "big song" of the last 15 years or so. Not much wiggle room in Terrapin, though the unfolding jam at the end allows for some jamming even as it stays close to the theme. Preferring Dark Star or Terrapin is likely a pretty good litmus test for what type of Deadhead someone is.

Pretty good take. Here's a pretty ridiculous Terp. (this part cuts to the chase) I caught in Hampton in '87. The place was roaring at the "gettin' down" of Garcia in this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQRcVBF8wQc

The last time I ever saw the band "go out" into a total improv jam was on 6/23/93 - they jammed the end of Terrapin for a good long time into the Drums. And then they went into Dark Star out of Space. All downhill after that for me.

Pretty good take. Here's a pretty ridiculous Terp. (this part cuts to the chase) I caught in Hampton in '87. The place was roaring at the "gettin' down" of Garcia in this one:

Ha. That's great. See, with just the audio, to me this is just another Terrapin. But to see JG so animated takes it to another level. And I think that whole notion is hilarious. The crowd just ate it up. Compare his antics here to his 1,000-yard stare that he's got going during Dark Star at the '72 Veneta show. 

Imagine if he jumped around like Pete Townshend, just once. Peoples' lids would have flipped, to say the least. 

That it a great clip - I had to chuckle on the description in the clip, though - I think he took maybe took two steps --- at time's Garcia's slight movement of his arm or slight vocal tonation could whip a crowd up more than a 100 Pete windmills.

Watch Jerry with the mini-windmills, the synchronous pose with Bobby, and the stepping out all over the stage as the crowd goes bananna's!

Ha. That's great. See, with just the audio, to me this is just another Terrapin. But to see JG so animated takes it to another level. And I think that whole notion is hilarious. The crowd just ate it up. Compare his antics here to his 1,000-yard stare that he's got going during Dark Star at the '72 Veneta show. 

Imagine if he jumped around like Pete Townshend, just once. Peoples' lids would have flipped, to say the least. 

Spring 94 - first night at Rosemont saw Jerry do a knee bend during Standing on the Moon and just about lost my mind.

Summer 95 - second to last show at Soldier Field. Jerry raised his fist above his head during "even Mona Lisa must've had the highway blues..." and the entire stadium went bananas. You could feel the energy. For just a second there, he came back to life. One of my greatest concert going experiences, without doubt.

Speaking of animated Jerry (we have lift-off on the last note)....(the whole show, particularly 2nd set, has Garcia utterly rocking out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eViobWoVLJo

So glad someone posted some of the Duke video from 4/12/78. I thought of it when reading some of the comments about the inertia bound Mr. Garcia. That was, of course, generally true, but i remember his dancing a bit 9/18/87 at start of Women are Smarter, but Duke is pretty crazy. I saw them 4/15/78 at William & Mary and he was way animated that night but Weir even more so during Around & Around especially. 

GDradio is playing the 10.30.71 Cincinnati show with the dude yelling for Truckin' all the time and Garcia admonishing him about "...gotta be a cop...?" and Weir talking about people getting ready to drop a whole load of live chickens on the people under the balcony....

GDradio is playing the 10.30.71 Cincinnati show with the dude yelling for Truckin' all the time and Garcia admonishing him about "...gotta be a cop...?" and Weir talking about people getting ready to drop a whole load of live chickens on the people under the balcony....

That was one that was in my first batch or two of cassettes. Still play it, still love it. I'm a big fan of Keith's first month or two.

If you can make it through more than 5 seconds of John Mayer singing Terrapin Station, there is something wrong with you. Sorry. 

I'm going to Dead Co this summer. Had no interest last time around, but am looking forward to it. Not expecting anything huge. Excited to see Bobby and the Rhythm Devils. Also will be interested in what Oteil brings.

@JW-thanks for the info on Equinox. The demo on Terrapin is interesting. Would've been cool if they finished it up. Definitely had an Unbroken vibe to it.

Also,,,really looking forward to the new documentary. Not too far off.

I enjoy the hell out of CRB and Chris's songwriting - but the below is a bit of a hyperbole. Betty and CRB are a great fit.

She lingers on the music and the band, appreciating that they’re prolific, that they love to stretch out when they play and are always growing as musicians. She praises guitarist Neal Casal and calls Robinson’s lyrics “Hunter-esque,” incredibly high accolades for any songwriter.

When I tell Chris Robinson that his lyrics have been deemed “Hunter-esque” by Betty Cantor-Jackson, even he is taken aback. “Well that’s cool. I’ll take that. He’s one of my favorites too.”

Podcast where MC Taylor, main guy in Hiss Golden Messenger, discusses the importance of Europe 72. This guy gets it, you can hear the influence in his music, blended in with other inspirations and his own voice, so it never gets derivative (like say Ryan Adams). Good stuff:

http://www.fidelityhigh.com/hiss-golden-messenger-podcast/

I enjoyed that. Thanks for sharing. 

5/8/77 debuts on Billboard charts at #10 - highest-charting GD release since In The Dark, 30 years ago this Summer.

Amazing.