Wilco- March 18, 2017 Beacon Theater, NYC [ Night 1 of 4]

Nice night! Sound was great! Jeff sounded as good as he ever has. Setlist identical to Toronto might 1 except Ashes and minus muzzle ? Schmilco stuff sounded great!

Nice to meet knotgreen and worldrecordplayer for the first time. In terms of banter crutches in the air is a sign of a good show!

Long long standing ovation after impossible German of which Jeff said I think we'll be alright!

Merch was busy and by the time I got there the kids shirt I wants to get for ny 4 year old was gone!

Ashes of an American Flag

Normal American Kids^

If I Ever Was A Child

Cry All Day

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart>

Art Of Almost

Pickled Ginger

Misunderstood (hootenanny arrangement — Nels on lap steel, Pat on banjitar, John on 12-string acoustic)

Someone To Lose

War On War

Via Chicago

Bull Black Nova (acoustic arrangement)

Reservations

Impossible Germany

We Aren't The World (Safety Girl)

Box Full Of Letters

Heavy Metal Drummer>

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Hummingbird

The Late Greats

------------------------------

Random Name Generator

Jesus, etc.

Locator

Spiders (Kidsmoke) (electric arrangement)

-------------------------------

Shot in the Arm (Acoustic)

IMG_3271.PNG

IMG_3272.PNG

Add A Shot in the Arm acoustic for the second encore. They were excellent tonight. I have seen this band so many times going back to 1995. Tonight was a cut above from a lot of those shows. Great set, great crowd, and a great performance tonight

Ahh yep my bad!

Nice night! Sound was great! Jeff sounded as good as he ever has. Setlist identical to Toronto might 1 except Ashes and minus muzzle ? Schmilco stuff sounded great!

Nice to meet knotgreen and worldrecordplayer for the first time. In terms of banter crutches in the air is a sign of a good show!

Long long standing ovation after impossible German of which Jeff said I think we'll be alright!

Merch was busy and by the time I got there the kids shirt I wants to get for ny 4 year old was gone!

Ashes of an American Flag

Normal American Kids^

If I Ever Was A Child

Cry All Day

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart>

Art Of Almost

Pickled Ginger

Misunderstood (hootenanny arrangement — Nels on lap steel, Pat on banjitar, John on 12-string acoustic)

Someone To Lose

War On War

Via Chicago

Bull Black Nova (acoustic arrangement)

Reservations

Impossible Germany

We Aren't The World (Safety Girl)

Box Full Of Letters

Heavy Metal Drummer>

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Hummingbird

The Late Greats

------------------------------

Random Name Generator

Jesus, etc.

Locator

Spiders (Kidsmoke) (electric arrangement)

-------------------------------

Shot in the Arm (Acoustic)

Nice job on the set list and show report. Great to meet up!

The band was in fine form. What a treat to see them in the Beacon. Perfect size venue, with excellent sound. The band sounded great. The VC, BBN and Reservations section was incredible. Nobody does dark and beautiful better than Wilco.

Jeff was bantering with some less than oblique references to our political times, encouraging folks to not feel helpless. Culminated in his storming up to the mike and saying: "my 83 year old dad tells me Don't let that monster make you sick.:"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You beat me to the punch, Remphish! It was nice meeting you and also running into some other familiar faces.

Another great Wilco show and quite possibly the best view of the band I've ever had. I'm too tired now to add to what's been said above, but one bit of banter that resonated for me was: "save pessimism for better days."

Looking forward to whatever tomorrow night brings!

Add A Shot in the Arm acoustic for the second encore. They were excellent tonight. I have seen this band so many times going back to 1995. Tonight was a cut above from a lot of those shows. Great set, great crowd, and a great performance tonight

agreed.  nels took 5 or 6 of the greatest guitar solos I ever heard and I saw jerry garcia close to 200 times.   great to see a band at the height of their powers in a theatre

Should note Glenn did not stand on his drums.

Had a great time tonight. Taping in that room is a bit of a hassle, but it came out well. Impossible Germany was particularly moving tonight.

Here's my tape: http://viachicago.org/topic/52324-wilco-20170318-beacon-theater-night-1/

My buddy Bob couldn't find you. He ran his rig, tells me it came out good.

A few additions to banter corner:

During Hummingbird, during the part where Jeff sometimes dances or runs in place, he turned to Glenn, opened up his jacket, and started shimmying. It was hilarious and disturbing in equal measure.

When they came out for (I think) the second encore, Jeff said he didn't think a moment of silence was appropriate for Chuck Berry and he asked us to make some noise. He then attempted Berry's famous duck walk, after which he commented that he was going to need a hip.

A few additions to banter corner:

During Hummingbird, during the part where Jeff sometimes dances or runs in place, he turned to Glenn, opened up his jacket, and started shimmying. It was hilarious and disturbing in equal measure.

When they came out for (I think) the second encore, Jeff said he didn't think a moment of silence was appropriate for Chuck Berry and he asked us to make some noise. He then attempted Berry's famous duck walk, after which he commented that he was going to need a hip.

Despite my disdain for people recording long stretches of video on their cellphones, I would love to have seen these moments! Maybe Jeff will have time to perfect his duck walking skills over the next few days.

Ashes is such a great opener for a Wilco show. Maybe even more so in a theater venue such as the Beacon where the dynamics of the tune are so palpable. I invited cousins last night, music fans but first Wilco exposure, and all day I was hoping they get an Ashes opener. Last night's version did not disappoint.

Despite my disdain for people recording long stretches of video on their cellphones, I would love to have seen these moments! Maybe Jeff will have time to perfect his duck walking skills over the next few days.

Mods if not allowed please delete

thanks for posting the Impossible Germany and as crazy good as that solo was it was only one of 6 or 7 that were completely over the top last night.  hope they roadcase this one but I know the beacon has union issues$$$ which usually prevent bands from selling their shows  after the fact

thanks for posting the Impossible Germany and as crazy good as that solo was it was only one of 6 or 7 that were completely over the top last night.  hope they roadcase this one but I know the beacon has union issues$$$ which usually prevent bands from selling their shows  after the fact

That is what Stan told me last night. Possibly releasing one show from this run.  Most of these bands release shows from the Beacon with no trouble (ABB, Mule, Umphrey's)

thanks for posting the Impossible Germany and as crazy good as that solo was it was only one of 6 or 7 that were completely over the top last night. hope they roadcase this one but I know the beacon has union issues$$$ which usually prevent bands from selling their shows after the fact

Didn't prevent the Allmans from selling their Instant Live recordings

What a great show! As others have noted, Nels was just on fire. I really hope this one gets the Roadcase treatment.

We were in the same hotel as the band. We saw Jeff, John & Glenn at different times.

It was also nice to see & hang out with some good friends after the show. Now for the train ride home...