Jan18-22, 2020 Wilco's Sky Blue Sky

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wilco announces a 4-day Wilco festival and there is zero chatter about that here on VC? A dying neighborhood here? 

Anyhow, I've never been to any of these Mexico beach party music festivals, but everyone I've spoken to who has says they're a blast. I'm going to plan to go. It's a big expense but it will be a vacation and I'll go with my son. I'm missing SS for the first time so this takes a little bit of the sting out of that. I have looked at the FB chatter. I don't subscribe to the view that this is some sort of "sell-out" by the band. I look at it as a chance to have a beach vacation while seeing 3 Wilco show, Jeff, Courteney, YLT, etc. Sounds great to me. 

https://wilcoskybluesky.com/

My wife and I have been to 3 of the My Morning Jacket One Big Holiday at this hotel.  We had a blast.  I'm not sure if we are returning for this, but if you go consider extra time in Tulum.

(I thought I posted this but it's not showing up on my screen)

Hey ditty, any suggestions on booking rooms at this place? Looks like there are two sides, not sure if there's a difference but the website says there is. Any thoughts you could share about the place would be appreciated, thanks. 

Wilco announces a 4-day Wilco festival and there is zero chatter about that here on VC? A dying neighborhood here? 

Anyhow, I've never been to any of these Mexico beach party music festivals, but everyone I've spoken to who has says they're a blast. I'm going to plan to go. It's a big expense but it will be a vacation and I'll go with my son. I'm missing SS for the first time so this takes a little bit of the sting out of that. I have looked at the FB chatter. I don't subscribe to the view that this is some sort of "sell-out" by the band. I look at it as a chance to have a beach vacation while seeing 3 Wilco show, Jeff, Courteney, YLT, etc. Sounds great to me. 

The idea of "selling out" is a ridiculous and meaningless notion in the music business of the present day.

I see this more as a "buying in" of the new model of the concert business.  We're at a point where festivals, rather than individual concerts, are how a large percentage of people experience live music.  Rather than Wilco getting booked onto someone else's festival, they are taking control and putting on their own festivals that they can run however they like.  In no possible sense could that ever be considered a sellout, and is actually the exact opposite of selling out.  

My wife and I discussed going, but the deal breaker for us is the bottomless liquor dispenser in every hotel room (on top of the all-you-can-drink policy in general throughout the resort).  My wife quit drinking six months ago, and at that same time I cut back almost entirely.  A festival like this is not for us, but I'm sure it'll be a great time for those who attend 

(I thought I posted this but it's not showing up on my screen)

Hey ditty, any suggestions on booking rooms at this place? Looks like there are two sides, not sure if there's a difference but the website says there is. Any thoughts you could share about the place would be appreciated, thanks. 

Both sides are very similar.  We stayed in building 9 on the Heaven side all three years (Deluxe Silver Room).  I requested a quite room in the initial booking notes.  We got the cheapest room and I was glad we did since we were only in the room to sleep, nap, and get ready for the evening.  Plan on doing a lot of walking.

Got the sign off from the wife so we’re going! Looks like an awesome lineup, YLT is one of my faves too. Would be very interested to hear OP’s experiences at the MMJ one.

We did the transportation option each year instead of renting a car.  (The Hard Rock is about 50 minutes south of the airport)  The service was great (we brought plenty of singles to tip).  The drinks flow regularly (ask for top shelf drinks).  You can bring an insulated cup to have filled.  We stayed away from the buffets except breakfast.  We ate breakfast at Ipanema each morning and really enjoyed dinner at Los Gallos and Toro.  The beach is a lagoon.  Without this, the waves would beat you to death in this area.  I heard some people take a cab to a local beach for the day, but we were content in finding a quiet place to chill each day.  The sound was very good at the concert and the amount of space was plentiful.  The spa was relaxing.  They give you points but you still pay a %.  All in all we had the time of our life.

I will not be going. I went to Mexico for my sister's wedding in 2011 and did not enjoy the heat or lounging by the pool and beach. While the lineup is great (arguably better than SSF19) ultimately I feel like this isn't for me. I do like traveling around for concerts, this would eat up my entire 2020 budget.

Not dead yet! There was discussion in the A Wilco Related Live Show thread.

That all sounds awesome ditty.  When does the music generally start up?  Late afternoon?

The first 2 years in Mexico started around 8-8:30 pm.  The 3rd year in Mexico Deer Tick play an acoustic set around the lagoon on the Hacienda side and started closer to 5 and played until 6:30 and then had a break until things started on the main stage around 7:30 p.m.  The 4th time in the Dominican Republic they started closer to 4 and had music until 5:30, then a break until the main stage started around 7:30 p.m.  My comment to them each year was to NOT start the music before 7 so we had a day of relaxing before we felt there was something we couldn't miss.  I don't think they took my, likely in the minority, comments to heart since they have started earlier each year.  To us, we wanted the vacation all day and music all night experience.  There were nights where the after the show music didn't end until 3 in the morning.

The idea of "selling out" is a ridiculous and meaningless notion in the music business of the present day.

I see this more as a "buying in" of the new model of the concert business.  We're at a point where festivals, rather than individual concerts, are how a large percentage of people experience live music.  Rather than Wilco getting booked onto someone else's festival, they are taking control and putting on their own festivals that they can run however they like.  In no possible sense could that ever be considered a sellout, and is actually the exact opposite of selling out.  

My wife and I discussed going, but the deal breaker for us is the bottomless liquor dispenser in every hotel room (on top of the all-you-can-drink policy in general throughout the resort).  My wife quit drinking six months ago, and at that same time I cut back almost entirely.  A festival like this is not for us, but I'm sure it'll be a great time for those who attend 

"Wilco is a band, not a brand"  :rotfl

i did see one rather valid point on the facebook thread though.. that it's Wilco's first show in Mexico, but clearly not focused on the domestic Wilco market given the cost.

still, i think it's a pretty cool idea and i do hope to get down there w/ some friends. 

That is valid.  

If it were NIckelback, or someone, doing exactly the same thing, we'd be criticizing them harshly.

I hope Wilco is working on some ideas that would make it possible for the people who actually live there to see them perform.  Having been to Mexico many times, I'd certainly rather see Wilco (or just about any band) with a few thousand Mexicans than with the standard Wilco audience.  Present company excluded, of course.

A lot of bands do these now, Phish has been doing it for years.  I think it is just the new norm.  Most of the fan bases are older, have more disposable income, and might want to make a vacation out of it.  I don't think it has anything to do with selling out.

What happens in the event of a potential blizzard? Can you make your own flight to the event a day earlier than the package deal? The lodging doesn't bother me, but including flights makes me feel like you'd lose some freedom in getting there. Also a bit odd that the event begins on a Saturday.

What happens in the event of a potential blizzard? Can you make your own flight to the event a day earlier than the package deal? The lodging doesn't bother me, but including flights makes me feel like you'd lose some freedom in getting there. Also a bit odd that the event begins on a Saturday.

I hadn't thought of a blizzard. Good point.  I was thinking hurricane. If my memory serves, one of these festivals got blown out by a hurricane within the last couple of years. 

I hadn't thought of a blizzard. Good point. I was thinking hurricane. If my memory serves, one of these festivals got blown out by a hurricane within the last couple of years.

It looks like you make your own flight reservations. I was checking out things quickly on my iPhone & thought that flights were included. Things are easier to understand on the full website. For instance, shows are taking place from January 18th-21st.

I'm pretty torn on this. Part of me would rather just spend the $$ traveling around the US to catch a few shows on the next Wilco tour. On the other hand, it's a getaway in the middle of winter to see my favorite band... I am curious about the type of attendees these destination shows attract. There's a reason I never went on a traditional spring break trip in college.

I'm pretty torn on this. Part of me would rather just spend the $$ traveling around the US to catch a few shows on the next Wilco tour. On the other hand, it's a getaway in the middle of winter to see my favorite band... I am curious about the type of attendees these destination shows attract. There's a reason I never went on a traditional spring break trip in college.

That was a big part of my decision.  I'm wary of the all-you-can-gringo-clusive types of vacations.  

I don't mean to be negative.  I love Mexico, and I hope this is a huge success.  But I think traveling around to see regular shows sounds like much more fun.

I think the price point limits it to a certain demographic, which I wouldn't imagine includes a bunch of spring breaker 20-somethings.  

Agreed.  And for once, I hope to not be one of the oldest persons at a show.   :D