Glad you are on the mend The Inside of Out.

I still need to go into the office everyday, small office, just 3 others and no clients ever come in. My wife and daughter have asthma - my main concern is catching it and passing it. We have been viligante with clean up and I change my clothes and disinfect right when I get home from work. I have been the only one who has left the house in over 3 weeks, other than family bike rides and family walks with the dog. A lot frisbee. We are very fortunate that my wife and I are both working. Friends and family members of ours are not so fortunate.

Crazy, scarey times for sure.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For anyone in the US who is interested here is the link to order 4 free home test kits from the US government:   https://www.covidtests.gov/

I got my 2nd booster shot yesterday. I don't feel out of it this time. But there is a big knot on my arm again. I think last time it was sore for over a week.

I did a test this morning & it came back negative, yay. Still pretty weak but at least that hurdle is cleared.

That Fountain of Wayne's cover of Better Things is fantastic. I love the song, and had never heard their version. I have heard of the band, but never paid attention to them. Now I will dig into their catalogue.

I kinda freaked out when I read about Adam Schlesinger's death from COVID-19. We are the same age, and I was smack in the middle of fighting it off.

First symptoms appeared two weeks ago today - fatigue, body aches, and an odd sensation - like a cross between vertigo and being hooked up to a low-level electrical charge. Instead of light-headed, it felt like I was light-bodied. And this light-bodiedness came from inside my torso, and I felt it throughout my body. Never, never felt anything like it. Like something foreign had invaded my body. That lasted four days. Then, after that, four days of being a little more tired than usual. I thought I was through it.

I woke up Sunday with difficulty breathing. It got worse as the day went on, and I did a tele-health visit with a doctor (who happens to be a parent at the school where I work). Plan was to check in the next day, unless it got worse, in which case I would go to the ER. No sleep that night - every time I drifted off, I snapped awake because my regular breathing couldn't give me enough oxygen. Like sucking air through a straw, or having a good chunk of your lungs cut out.

I went to a COVID clinic on Monday. It was like a sci-fi movie set. Dr. visit in a parking lot, under a tent. The doctor went off to confer with other doctors about testing me. Because I am not over 60, I could not identify someone who I had come in contact with who has been diagnosed with COVID-19, and I am usually in good health, I did not qualify, but he was certain I have it. When he came back to talk with me, the look in his eyes (and I could only see his eyes) was clear: this is a shit-show, we should clearly test you, but we cannot because we have to ration the tests. I never knew the eyes could tell so much. I had a chest x-ray. Then he consulted with other doctors about admitting me to the hospital. They decided not to, which turned out to be a good decision. My symptoms improved that evening, and I have gotten a little better each day since. I am self-quarantined in my house. My wife or kids drop off my meals outside my bedroom door, I facetime people who are in my own house, etc.

So what did I take away from this? That I was lucky it wasn't worse. That our health care folks really are heroes (I thanked every one of them effusively). That this virus is powerful. That our health care system is a crapshow, the doctors and nurses I interacted with know it, and they feel badly about it. That there are not nearly enough tests available. That this means our count is way under-reported (for instance, I am not counted in the statistics because I did not get tested, not to mention the people who have symptoms, but they do not rise to the level of needing to see a doctor). I learned that, yes, the toll on our economy is brutal, but the virus is way more brutal.

Stay at home if you can. Stay safe.

Sounds like what my wife is going through. Had slight chest pain last Sunday. Fever/cough Monday. Dr via video said she probably had it. No test available. Took it easy (no working/sleeping in) M-W. Felt better on Thursday, then nose dived Friday. Almost went to the ER. tele-doc said not to unless she couldn't talk cause they would just send her home. Saturday felt up to a walk around the block. Barely made it. In our small apartment not really an option for me not to get infected. I had a fever for a day about 2 weeks ago (? it all blends together); so hopefully I have already been through it. 

Just crazy to me that in a larger city (Denver) that there still are not really tests. We are pretty good at self containing (been using Instacart for 3 years anyway!) but had to leave last week to get TP. Should be set unless we decide to go as a mummy for Easter! 

Coronavirus Expert Says Concerts Won’t Return Until “Fall 2021 At The Earliest”

Hopefully wrong but I can't really see how concerts can come back without a vaccine being developed and distributed. This is what I was worried about when I saw shows like Wilco's Portland gigs getting rescheduled for this November. Hopefully some leaders like Trudeau will offer stimulus packages directly for musicians, their crews, and venues but I can't see Trump doing that. Then again, this will be bigger than just music as sports, theatre, cinema, will all be affected. 

If a year to 18 months is the quickest vaccines are usually developed, maybe if so much resources and attention is being funnelled worldwide into COVID-19 vaccine development something will come along quicker. 

Coronavirus Expert Says Concerts Won’t Return Until “Fall 2021 At The Earliest”

Hopefully wrong but I can't really see how concerts can come back without a vaccine being developed and distributed. This is what I was worried about when I saw shows like Wilco's Portland gigs getting rescheduled for this November. Hopefully some leaders like Trudeau will offer stimulus packages directly for musicians, their crews, and venues but I can't see Trump doing that. Then again, this will be bigger than just music as sports, theatre, cinema, will all be affected.

If a year to 18 months is the quickest vaccines are usually developed, maybe if so much resources and attention is being funnelled worldwide into COVID-19 vaccine development something will come along quicker.

Saw that I hope it’s also wrong live music is my drug and I’m already going through withdrawals! I also can only see this happening with a vaccine or something else drastic however. Also, if concerts are no go so will sports crazy world we live in.
  • 2 weeks later...

The CDC has updated the list of symptoms for COVID-19.

Previous list of symptoms:
shortness of breath
cough
fever
Additions to list:
Chills
Repeated shaking with chills
Muscle pain
Headache
Sore throat
New loss of taste or smell

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I appreciate that there are vulnerable segments of society that need resources and special care, but it's not ebola for God's sake.

The vast majority of people will have a bit of a cough and no worse that usual annual flu.

The whole world needs to calm down a bit.

OK let me calm down.

I appreciate that there are vulnerable segments of society that need resources and special care, but it's not ebola for God's sake.

The vast majority of people will have a bit of a cough and no worse that usual annual flu.

The whole world needs to calm down a bit.

OK let me calm down.

I'll take posts that aged poorly for 1000, Alex.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, chuckrh said:

I did a test this morning & it came back negative, yay. Still pretty weak but at least that hurdle is cleared.

Glad to hear!  I’ve been wondering how you’ve been doing, so I’m happy you checked in.  It sounds like it wasn’t an easy bout of it for you though.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, brownie said:

Glad to hear!  I’ve been wondering how you’ve been doing, so I’m happy you checked in.  It sounds like it wasn’t an easy bout of it for you though.

Thank you. I thought about going to the hospital a few times but gutted it out. This bout has me rethinking my concert strategy. I'll still go to a few shows but the bar is much higher now as to what I'll take a chance on. Except for RHCP, the summer is pretty clear. Things fire up in September. For instance, MMJ is playing soon & I'm going to skip it. I saw them in October & don't think they'll top that show given the venue they're playing soon.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, chuckrh said:

Thank you. I thought about going to the hospital a few times but gutted it out. This bout has me rethinking my concert strategy. I'll still go to a few shows but the bar is much higher now as to what I'll take a chance on. Except for RHCP, the summer is pretty clear. Things fire up in September. For instance, MMJ is playing soon & I'm going to skip it. I saw them in October & don't think they'll top that show given the venue they're playing soon.

Yikes, you thought about going to a hospital?  Sorry to hear.

I’ve been very successful at concerts wearing a KN95, although the last two I’ve been to (most recent was last night), I was one of only a small handful of people wearing any mask at all.  I felt like an idiot, but was undeterred.  I have my last show for a while on Sunday.  Cases are dropping around here.  I feel like I’m going to have to suck it up and just get it and get it over with in the near future, because I don’t think it’s going away.  I have a serious health condition, as I know you do, but I don’t think it will be possible to avoid it forever and simultaneously maintain normal human interactions.  Even if I keep wearing a mask in crowds, one of my friends or relatives is surely going to expose me to it eventually.  I no longer mask in small social groups, because it’s just no longer conducive to maintaining relationships or to developing new relationships.

• Like 1