Governor Inslee of Washington just shut the state down. Stay at home order.

I can't believe that didn't happen earlier. Any word back from your test??

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For anyone in the US who is interested here is the link to order 4 free home test kits from the US government:   https://www.covidtests.gov/

I got my 2nd booster shot yesterday. I don't feel out of it this time. But there is a big knot on my arm again. I think last time it was sore for over a week.

I did a test this morning & it came back negative, yay. Still pretty weak but at least that hurdle is cleared.

Sorry to read what many of us here are going through. My wife found out this weekend that the restaurant owner who's she's worked for since 2014 is shutting down for at least two weeks--maybe permanently. No work = no pay. This is devastating to so people many in so many ways.

I can't believe that didn't happen earlier. Any word back from your test??

No, but supposedly today. I wouldn't be surprised if it stretches until Wednesday though. I've come down with what I think is a nerve virus. I had 1 2 months ago. I had shingles about 6 years ago because of my messed up immune system & this is related. It attacked the nerves in my inner ear & there was permanent damage. Anyway, I woke up with half my face swelling up (opposite side from a few months ago) just like before. I called my doc's office to get a prescription & found they are closed for the week. I left a message but haven't heard back yet. Hopefully today. I have a med for the nerve pain that's leftover from last time but think I need the med for nerve virus. Hope I get it before I get to the feel like my head is exploding phase. This year has been beyond rugged. Thank God I was able to retire on disability last August. I had insurance for that & claim has been approved. The cherry on top is I live in an area called West Seattle which is across the bay from downtown. Yesterday they found cracks in the concrete supports for the high rise bridge that connects us to the rest of the city (& hospitals). It's going to be closed for probably months. 100.000 cars a day use this bridge under normal circumstances. There are detours but they are long. If & when things get back to normal, they are going to be overloaded. Not affecting me much really unless I need to go to doctor downtown or need to get to the freeway. Since I'm shelter in place, not a huge issue but could be if something more goes wrong.

Sorry to read what many of us here are going through. My wife found out this weekend that the restaurant owner who's she's worked for since 2014 is shutting down for at least two weeks--maybe permanently. No work = no pay. This is devastating to so people many in so many ways.

Hope everything works out for you.

interesting tidbit: cannabis stores are considered essential businesses in washington & will remain open during the shut down.

Same for Illinois - but for medical use only. (as 1/1/20, recreational use was legal)

Wisconsin likely to shut down today. Permitted to go to exercise (run, walk), doctor, pharmacy, grocery and liquor stores (cannabis not legal here).

My question - is playing singles tennis permitted?

In San Francisco (maybe all of California? I've lost track), tennis is NOT permitted.

My cousin who is a NYC teacher has corona virus this is why NYC should have been closed down earlier especially the schools!

A friend from college is just getting over it.  She's thankful that her husband and three kids are asymptomatic (they haven't been tested).  She's a college professor, her doctor told her that he wouldn't be surprised if the college is riddled with it. 

In San Francisco (maybe all of California? I've lost track), tennis is NOT permitted.

That seems strange. Is there a fear that strangers in neighboring courts could pass the virus by mindlessly shagging each other's balls?

I'm thinking once it's a bit warmer, I'll head to the local park's pickleball courts to play with my son. We're way closer in our house than we would playing pickleball.

My cousin who is a NYC teacher has corona virus this is why NYC should have been closed down earlier especially the schools!

So sorry to hear this.  As much as I find teaching via computer to be overwhelming, I am so very glad 3/12 was the last day where I teach.

The town I live in planned to stay in school all last week, but all the teachers started calling out sick.  And then Murphy shut everyone down anyway,

This is some seriously scary sh*t the likes of which I have never experienced in my lifetime.  And I am pretty old!  We have seven cases in my town, and one death.  

That seems strange. Is there a fear that strangers in neighboring courts could pass the virus by mindlessly shagging each other's balls?

I'm thinking once it's a bit warmer, I'll head to the local park's pickleball courts to play with my son. We're way closer in our house than we would playing pickleball.

I think it's just to keep as many people out of the parks as possible.  Although they're definitely not strictly enforcing most of these rules.

Edit:  from https://sf.gov/stay-home-except-essential-needs

Staying active

Fitness and exercise gyms and similar facilities must be closed.

Stay indoors and not in close contact with other people.

You can engage in certain activities outdoors. You should not play sports indoors or play team sports.  

Sports that are permitted (as long as you keep at least 6 feet from anyone else and don’t share equipment):  

• yoga on your own (no sharing blocks or mats)
  • running alone or with others with distance
  • riding your bike (alone or with distance)
  • walking (alone or with distance)
  • stretching
  • swimming in the ocean or in your own pool/hot tub
  • shooting baskets by yourself, or hitting a tennis ball against a backboard

Not permitted: 

• any team sports where there is any contact or where a ball or other equipment is touched by multiple people (soccer, baseball, basketball, Frisbee, etc.)  
  • swimming in a communal pool

So it looks like what they're trying to avoid there is people sharing equipment, both of you touching the tennis ball, etc.  If you're playing with a child, I can't imagine anyone would mind.  Where I'm internally judging people is when multiple adults are out together. I'm OK with whatever looks like a family unit (parents and kids, couple walking a dog, whatever), but it's harder when it's *possible* that a group is all housemates (lots of adults in SF live with roommates), but also, they could just be assholes!

I think we are really ready for some televised professional sports. Golf (not my favorite sport to watch) could very easily be televised with no fans attending. Each hole could have 1 player, and the broadcast could switch hole to hole.

Hell, I'd watch solo competitive hackysack at this point.

I think we are really ready for some televised professional sports. Golf (not my favorite sport to watch) could very easily be televised with no fans attending. Each hole could have 1 player, and the broadcast could switch hole to hole.

They'd have to figure out how to do broadcast crews. For things like golf, most of that would be done in a mobile production van, so it's designed to have the audio, switcher, director, etc etc in a very small confined place. Even studio control rooms are tight, I suspect that's why shows like Colbert and Seth Myers are doing segments from home and not in the studio without an audience. 

Hell, I'd watch solo competitive hackysack at this point.

Last weekend, I watched the 2006 Heavyweight Championship of Arm Wrestling on "ESPN8-The Ocho" (ESPN2, really).  It was sadly, very sadly, satisfying.

But I fully expect e-sports to take an even bigger foothold if this continues.  That's pretty much all my 16yr old son watches these days - and while it's a little tough for old guys like me to follow initially, it's definitely exciting and checks many of the boxes that watching "real" sports checks.