• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For anyone in the US who is interested here is the link to order 4 free home test kits from the US government:   https://www.covidtests.gov/

I got my 2nd booster shot yesterday. I don't feel out of it this time. But there is a big knot on my arm again. I think last time it was sore for over a week.

I did a test this morning & it came back negative, yay. Still pretty weak but at least that hurdle is cleared.

I appreciate that there are vulnerable segments of society that need resources and special care, but it's not ebola for God's sake.

The vast majority of people will have a bit of a cough and no worse that usual annual flu.

The whole world needs to calm down a bit.

This is not the flu.

Perhaps this story will help. This is not from some Internet rando. The author, Tommy Vietor, is a former policy advisor in the White House:

A friend of mine got #coronavirus. He is younger than me. Played sports in college. Served in the military. As young and healthy as you could be. This is how his wife describes the illness. This is a public health crisis. No one is immune.

The quote from the friend's wife is here:

It started with a headache and a 100 temp on day 1. Day 2 his fever spiked (likes to linger in the 103 range) with bad body aches and chills. The cough started. Days 3 and 4 he got much worse. He was exposed to TB in the military and we were worried about his lungs, so he went on an antibiotic a few days ago. Last night he went on an anti-malaria medication. This evening he took a nosedive again. We are hopeful he will turn a corner here soon -1 am keeping a close eye on his oxygen, heart rate and temp. We are waiting to see how long we need to be in quarantine - will be over 2 weeks. It can be serious - even for the young and healthy.

Or perhaps this article will help:

Longtime health reporter Charles Ornstein says that comparing the novel coronavirus to the flu is dangerously inaccurate. Not one public health expert he trusts has called that comparison valid. Here’s why.

This Coronavirus Is Unlike Anything in Our Lifetime, and We Have to Stop Comparing It to the Flu

I appreciate that there are vulnerable segments of society that need resources and special care, but it's not ebola for God's sake.

The vast majority of people will have a bit of a cough and no worse that usual annual flu.

The whole world needs to calm down a bit.

Your take is bad.

Here is a example using my county in WI

Some basic math:

Dane County has over 500,000 residents. We are a county with excellent hospitals and health care.

If this virus infects 10% of our population, that is 50,000 people. I have yet to see an epidemiologist predict an infection rate of less than 20%, but let’s stick with 10% for illustrative purposes.

If 5% of those infected develop serious complications requiring breathing support to survive, that is 2500 people.

If only 1% require breathing support to survive, that is 500 people.

There are approximately 110 ventilators in Dane County.

See why this is a big deal?

So it is not about you, or the majority of Americans who will get this and be fine, it is about protecting the most vunerable amongst us.

So it is not about you, or the majority of Americans who will get this and be fine, it is about protecting the most vunerable amongst us.

That is precisely why my sentence began as it did, in case you did not read it. Most people should calm down to allow the resources to go to those who need it rather than everything being swamped in a 'me first' chaos. 

i can't get a test & am high risk with some symptoms. NBA players & actors don't seem to be having any trouble. lot of propaganda out there to hide the real trouble in the US.

Your avatar seems partiularly relevant right now. Please take every precaution and stay healthy. It feels weird to go out for walks and get off the sidewalk when walking past others. The best thing I've seen regarding social distancing (which I'm in day 5 of right now, and as a public school teacher in Iowa will continue for at least another 4 weeks) is don't act like you don't want to get the virus, act like you have it already and don't want to spread it to others.

Your avatar seems partiularly relevant right now. Please take every precaution and stay healthy. It feels weird to go out for walks and get off the sidewalk when walking past others. The best thing I've seen regarding social distancing (which I'm in day 5 of right now, and as a public school teacher in Iowa will continue for at least another 4 weeks) is don't act like you don't want to get the virus, act like you have it already and don't want to spread it to others.

after trying for over 2 weeks, i'm finally getting tested today. i pointed out that it would seem logical to test at risk people with some of the symptoms. the testing situation in seattle is still dire.

after trying for over 2 weeks, i'm finally getting tested today. i pointed out that it would seem logical to test at risk people with some of the symptoms. the testing situation in seattle is still dire.

Congrats (I think?).  I'm sure it's a relief to be getting some answers.  Hang in there and let us know how it turns out.

Vince

Yes, very glad to hear this.

Idiots.  I would be terrified if I (or a loved one) were a senior living near a spring break community.  This is when martial law starts sounding somewhat reasonable.

My nephew got sent home from his college last weekend.  As you might imagine, kids being told that they have to clear out by the end of the week, and won't be back this term, aren't very good at practicing social distancing...  :yeaahh

Hope everyone is staying healthy and that chuckrh will soon be on the mend (and that his test turned out negative). These are surreal times for sure. There's no roadmap for it, at least not in the U.S. Hopefully we'll get through this together and come out on the other side a better country that's more prepared for such an event. 

Hope everyone is staying healthy and that chuckrh will soon be on the mend (and that his test turned out negative). These are surreal times for sure. There's no roadmap for it, at least not in the U.S. Hopefully we'll get through this together and come out on the other side a better country that's more prepared for such an event. 

thank you. test was fairly unpleasant & i put up with a lot of that sort of thing. i parked in a loading zone & a doctor in full gown came out & did her thing with me sitting in my car. i had to lie down when i got home. test results Monday or Tuesday. still taking the precautions i've been taking for the last few weeks.

Lost my job today.

Been there 14 years.

Started when I was 19.

I guess I file for unemployment and hope they hire me back when we go back to normal living? I don’t know what to do. Face hurts from crying. Terrified they’re gonna lay my husband off too.

Lost my job today.

Been there 14 years.

Started when I was 19.

I guess I file for unemployment and hope they hire me back when we go back to normal living? I don’t know what to do. Face hurts from crying. Terrified they’re gonna lay my husband off too.

Oh no. I'm sorry to hear that. 

Lost my job today.

Been there 14 years.

Started when I was 19.

sorry to hear that. hang in there.

Sarah,

I cannot fully understand your situation or imagine it. I have no idea what to say that would matter. Take a breath, hold your husband, assess, and listen to the music you love as often as you are able.

Sarah, I think I remember when you started there!  So sorry to hear this.  Take a day to be sad/cheer yourself up, then yes, file for unemployment ASAP.  You know they value you if you were there that long, I'm sure they'll take you back as soon as they can. 

Lost my job today.

Been there 14 years.

Started when I was 19.

Wow that’s terrible

Sending vibes to you Sarah and chckrh. 

Trying to stay positive here in Denver. Trying to spread the cheer by getting to-go beer and food from the places closest to us that have had to close. Heard of at least 1 place (Welton St Cafe) that had to fire their whole staff.  

My Dad is a Dr. in central Iowa. They had 9 test kits for the town of 15,000. He is waiting until the nursing homes he works for get it and then he does too.