What Are You Gonna Do?

Seriously, once you feel safe, what is it you're longing to do? I am now fully vaccinated, plus the 2-week waiting time to reach "full" immunity of 94-95%.

I'm feeling pretty safe but with reservations...I've gotten pretty good at being a hermit, and I am aghast at my fellow citizens who have been so cavalier about the virus & masking & distancing & basic science sanity, that I guess I've gone a bit feral. I truly distrust a lot of the folks I was previously pretty trusting towards. And even when my also-now-fully-vaccinated daughter came by last night to visit and take some pictures, I invited her inside...we hadn't done that in a YEAR...and omg it was so fun, and startling... I insisted she go through the house, see if things looked different...it felt all nervous and daring to just share space together normally! The dogs were out of their gourds to see her and show off new tricks. They didn't stop smiling even when they slept.

Normal life is a blessing, it turns out. This simple night was a treasure & we ended in a long overdue bearhug. 

What will you do, once it's safe to?

One of the things I miss most is public transportation.  My favorite Sunday morning activity was to walk to the ferry building, maybe go to the big library downtown on the way, eat breakfast down there, and then take the streetcar home.  I haven't done that in a year, partly because a lot of the pieces of that trip wouldn't feel safe, but also because the walk home is all uphill! :lol I'll be very happy to be able to explore my city again.

Second shot is on April 14.  I'm going to attend a White Sox game and see some live music at Fitzgerald's/The Hideout/The Empty Bottle.  I've really missed going to baseball games and seeing live music.  I've already booked a trip to see my oldest son who lives in San Diego - haven't seen him in almost 17 months. 

2 hours ago, Chez said:

Second shot is on April 14.  I'm going to attend a White Sox game and see some live music at Fitzgerald's/The Hideout/The Empty Bottle.  I've really missed going to baseball games and seeing live music.  I've already booked a trip to see my oldest son who lives in San Diego - haven't seen him in almost 17 months. 

My second shot is around the same time ---- was just going to write the same thing --- probably will wait until June or so to go to a White Sox game, after there is a more of a vaccine roll out. (besides, it probably will take me that long to get over being mad at Eloy for such a dumb injury, too).

Looking forward to hitting a jazz show, too --- that's one good thing about the type of jazz shows I go to -- never have to worry about huge crowds..

3 hours ago, gogo said:

One of the things I miss most is public transportation.  My favorite Sunday morning activity was to walk to the ferry building, maybe go to the big library downtown on the way, eat breakfast down there, and then take the streetcar home.  I haven't done that in a year, partly because a lot of the pieces of that trip wouldn't feel safe, but also because the walk home is all uphill! :lol I'll be very happy to be able to explore my city again.

I am fortunate here that the buses did not get shut down. The surrounding cities shut down the buses for a long time last spring. That is how I go to the store every Saturday morning. They only allow 4 people on the bus. And I am the first one on the bus coming and going. I finally got an appointment for the vaccine Monday morning. I tried several times and was not successful. 

Chicago never shut down either --- that being said my wife misses her train ride to and from her office everyday. 

She made an appointment to get in her office for a couple of hours this Monday (for the 2nd time since last March) -- she decided to take the train this go around and is looking forward to it.

10 hours ago, Chez said:

I like how you think. My second shot is on April 15. The first thing I can't wait to do is to go to a baseball game. I wish I lived in a city with a MLB team (especially Chicago, a city I love), but I'll be just as happy to be at my local minor league team's games this summer. The charitable organization with which I'm involved, Hogs for the Cause, is planning on putting on a very scaled back version of its annual BBQ festival benefitting pediatric brain cancer. When I heard a rumor at the end of the year that it was happening, I laughed it off. Now that it's definite I'm getting so excited. Old Crow Medicine Show is the only headliner booked so far (and probably the only one that will be playing given the self-imposed limitations by the event planners. I'd been wanting to get more involved with my cooking team, but this year I'll be perfectly content to sit back, drink beer, eat BBQ, and take in the bands. 

18 hours ago, Chez said:

My second shot is April 17. Tentatively planning to get together with a friend soon who lives on the other side of the country. She got her first shot about the same time as me. With all the COVIDiots out there, I'm still not planning on concerts, games etc for awhile. I'm fairly pissed about the Mariners & don't want to spend money to walk into a giant T Mobile commercial. Also, for now seating capacity is very limited. You can't go by yourself unless you buy at least 2 tickets. The stadium workers are pretty fascist & I'm sure they will be out of control with the COVID restrictions. Doesn't seem like a lot of fun.

I'm finally going to use up some of the airline credits I accumulated from canceled trips in 2020.  In mid-May, I'm traveling to Atlanta for my nephew's HS graduation and a mini family reunion with my brother's family and my parents.  It'll be the first time seeing my mother in well over a year.  Like you said, Donna, just looking forward to some normalcy!

On 3/25/2021 at 3:33 AM, kidsmoke said:

I am aghast at my fellow citizens who have been so cavalier about the virus & masking & distancing & basic science sanity, that I guess I've gone a bit feral. I truly distrust a lot of the folks I was previously pretty trusting towards.

What will you do, once it's safe to?

I've gone a bit feral, too. I wasn't exactly a social butterfly before, but now I don't want to get together with anyone except my wife!

I'm getting my 2nd shot on April 11th, so a couple weeks after that, I'd really love to head to a relatively uncrowded beach and go for a little swim...about as basic as it gets.

From the rooftop of the chocolate factory at Archer and Lawndale, I've watched the Orange line El trains going to and fro Midway airport roll by completely empty, every time, for a year. Initially, I thought it was a waste of money, to run empty trains. In hindsight, I think it would have been worse not to see the Orange line running at all.  It's nice to see the a couple of train cars sparsely populated in the last week. 

I'll be receiving my 2nd Pfizer shot Monday and it will be great to get out again after this Covid winter and especially as Chicago is getting into full-on Spring weather.

Starting from the distance of my doormat I'd like to get to:

The Windsor Tap ( close to where family and friends walk to), the Copernicus Center ( Gordon Lightfoot is scheduled again on 7/18 ). A Tour of Lake Effect Brewery ( fantastic no frills operation, they brew, amongst many others, SuperBier for SuperDawg).  The Hideout, The Vic,  both a Cubs and Sox game if I can locate/ recognize the new Wrigley Field. 

Fingers crossed, I'm planning on Atlanta, Nashville, Asheville and Richmond  The airfare was/ still might be a steal. And no-cost transferrable. 

Also, I'd be forced into debt with any bay area shows. Including Mt Tam again. And Canada, if my paperwork is in order...

Time to click my heels and go back home and hope for the best.

Things are looking positive. I'm sure the summer gauge will be reset after the Spring Break.  

June Euro Wilco = August Wilco   ... some hotels are not refundable/ transferable ?

What say ye?

My mom turned 90 (!!) last week, and my sister and I took her out to a nice local restaurant for dinner.  Inside! It was wonderful!  Great food, lots of wine, lots of hugs!!

Just the 3 of us as we’re the only ones fully vaccinated, but we’re hoping for a bigger celebration in the summer when everyone else has their shots. 

I really can’t say. It all feels unreal. My second shot will be in June. It’s Astra Zeneca, so that’s normal to have a longer time between shots. 
I just hope something, anything will be open again by then. We’re still in a lockdown. 
I miss eating something that I didn’t have to cook. I miss being able to work. 
Having friends over for drinks.