• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In 1989, the 15-year-old me loved Jerry Lee Lewis, Dennis Quaid, and Winona Ryder, so I loved this movie, too. The 15-year-old me also couldn't see that the movie's point-of-view, which positions Lewi

Started up Guillermo Del Toro's latest on HBOMAX: Nightmare Alley. Grim stuff. Will have to take a certain determination to get back into it.    Other recent viewings: Book of Boba Fett - en

May the fourth be with you! Happy Star Wars Day!

Posted Images

My boy and I saw Spider-Man: No Way Home  - awesome all around. First time heading to a movie theater since Covid hit, forgot how enjoyable it is hitting the Marvel movies with the kid. 

Now that I have finally watched it, I poked around reading reviews -- I guess the Oscar's snubbing the movie is getting some buzz. Have to totally agree with the below quote from Jimmy Kimmel.

“How did [‘Spider-Man: No Way Home’] not get one of the 10 nominations for best picture?” Kimmel asked viewers. “Forget the fact that the movie made $750 million [in the U.S.] and is still going. This was a great movie. It wasn’t in the top 10 best movies of the year? There were three Spider-Men in it. You’re telling me ‘Don’t Look Up’ was better than ‘Spider-Man?’ It most certainly was not.”

• Like 1

There’s nothing especially wrong with HBO's new techno-thriller Kimi except that it confirms my nagging suspicion that Steven Soderbergh has given himself over to making watchable yet overly modest, undercooked home movies. He’s stopped making great movies in favor of “neat!” movies. This is a depressing development.

16 hours ago, calvino said:

I guess the Oscar's snubbing the movie is getting some buzz.

The uproar around the Spidey snubbing seems misguided, I think. First, it's silly to complain about the Oscars, which have never been a reliable barometer of artistic merit. It's all a fool's errand. Second, the griping is predicated on the specious notion that box-office hits should automatically be considered artistic triumphs and the false premise that the Oscars aren't populist enough (a stronger case could be made that the Oscars are too middle-brow, routinely overlooking the best, most artistically rewarding fare). Third, it presumes that awards ceremonies ought to cater to populism, to follow audiences rather than lead audiences. But audiences already had their vote. We already give rewards for box-office dominance. It's called "huge profits." Wouldn't it be better if audiences were open to learning about non-tentpoles, seeking them out, discovering their riches, and thereby making them more popular? Fourth, it believes that No Way Home is a no-brainer contender... which I can only refute by saying that sure, I loved watching it, but it's not even close to one of my ten favorite movies of the year.

That said, if No Way Home had been nominated for Best Picture, I wouldn't be griping. Fool's errand, etc.

Let me add that I think No Way Home is indeed superior to Don't Look Up, which in my view was a worthwhile idea poorly executed.

19 hours ago, Beltmann said:

The uproar around the Spidey snubbing seems misguided, I think. First, it's silly to complain about the Oscars, which have never been a reliable barometer of artistic merit. It's all a fool's errand. Second, the griping is predicated on the specious notion that box-office hits should automatically be considered artistic triumphs and the false premise that the Oscars aren't populist enough (a stronger case could be made that the Oscars are too middle-brow, routinely overlooking the best, most artistically rewarding fare). Third, it presumes that awards ceremonies ought to cater to populism, to follow audiences rather than lead audiences. But audiences already had their vote. We already give rewards for box-office dominance. It's called "huge profits." Wouldn't it be better if audiences were open to learning about non-tentpoles, seeking them out, discovering their riches, and thereby making them more popular? Fourth, it believes that No Way Home is a no-brainer contender... which I can only refute by saying that sure, I loved watching it, but it's not even close to one of my ten favorite movies of the year.

That said, if No Way Home had been nominated for Best Picture, I wouldn't be griping. Fool's errand, etc.

Let me add that I think No Way Home is indeed superior to Don't Look Up, which in my view was a worthwhile idea poorly executed.

Out of the 10 Best Picture nominees, I have only seen Don't Look Up, so that is why I thought that Kimmel was pretty apt. 

I am fine that it was not nominated and I agree that just because a  movie makes a crap ton of money does not necessarily mean it is worthy of a Best Picture nod.

(I also think a movie shouldn't get a nod, just because of the movie's intentions/theme)

Did you like it, Boss_Tweedy?

I know many top critics, including those with whom I'm usually in sync, are hive-dumping on Belfast. But I've seen it twice now and am eager to stand up for it. It's not a deep movie (if you're looking for a historical, analytical look at the Troubles, you won't find it), but it has plenty of other virtues, including a generous catalog of impressionistic, bittersweet vibes from a child's point-of-view that are, cumulatively, very moving.

Personal anecdote: In December I took my 13-year-old son to see Belfast, unsure about whether he would enjoy it. (His favorite movies are Jurassic Park and Star Wars.) He was held rapt; he was completely overwhelmed; he openly wept at the end and grabbed for my hand. He also hasn't stopped talking about it and says that he wants to see it again. He's rooting for the movie to win big at the Oscars.

It's not fair to compare Belfast to Roma (that's a much richer, more ambitious movie), but maybe it's fair to compare it to Boorman's Hope and Glory or even, at times, Levinson's Avalon. I know that it's my favorite Branagh project since 1989, when he debuted with Henry V, a movie that was a massive formative experience for me as a teen and budding cinephile. Perhaps Belfast will provide a similar service for my boy.

• Like 1

If I had to choose from the 6 films I’ve seen of the nominees for Best Picture, I would definitely choose Belfast.  I thought it was great. I mostly saw it as a character study of a family just trying to live their lives.  

• Like 1
On 2/14/2022 at 9:38 PM, Beltmann said:

Did you like it, Boss_Tweedy?

I know many top critics, including those with whom I'm usually in sync, are hive-dumping on Belfast. But I've seen it twice now and am eager to stand up for it. It's not a deep movie (if you're looking for a historical, analytical look at the Troubles, you won't find it), but it has plenty of other virtues, including a generous catalog of impressionistic, bittersweet vibes from a child's point-of-view that are, cumulatively, very moving.

Personal anecdote: In December I took my 13-year-old son to see Belfast, unsure about whether he would enjoy it. (His favorite movies are Jurassic Park and Star Wars.) He was held rapt; he was completely overwhelmed; he openly wept at the end and grabbed for my hand. He also hasn't stopped talking about it and says that he wants to see it again. He's rooting for the movie to win big at the Oscars.

It's not fair to compare Belfast to Roma (that's a much richer, more ambitious movie), but maybe it's fair to compare it to Boorman's Hope and Glory or even, at times, Levinson's Avalon. I know that it's my favorite Branagh project since 1989, when he debuted with Henry V, a movie that was a massive formative experience for me as a teen and budding cinephile. Perhaps Belfast will provide a similar service for my boy.

I enjoyed it quite a lot. Honestly I'm not very familiar with the specifics of Northern Ireland history during the time period in question. I understand the general history, but I've never read about or studied it. I'm not sure I get the choice of black and white for the picture, but I suppose I'll defer to the filmmakers. Another small thing: I could've benefitted from subtitles. I think I caught most of the dialogue in the movie. but I'm pretty sure I missed some also. 

The message of the film to me is timeless, and I feel that it successfully and entertainingly conveys that mesage. I'm so glad you gave your son the experience of watching such a film. The chance of my 13-year-old self being exposed to such a movie was pretty much zero. It was my loss, too. I actually enjoyed it far more than Roma. It's the only one of the current crop of Best Picture nominees I've seen so far, so I can't say whether it's my favorite for the Oscar. I did like it very much though. 

On 2/20/2022 at 2:49 PM, uncool2pillow said:

Took my 16 year old to Jackass Forever. We both cringed and laughed throughout. The adrenaline rush I get just from watching other people do those sort of things rivals riding a roller coaster.

Reading about Knoxville's latest injuries that he suffered makes me thing that this one has GOT to be the last one, right?

Started up Guillermo Del Toro's latest on HBOMAX: Nightmare Alley. Grim stuff. Will have to take a certain determination to get back into it. 

Other recent viewings: Book of Boba Fett - enjoyed it, but not a good sign that the two best episodes were the ones that were primarily about The Mandalorian, and not the titular character.

Lost Daughter - good film, about the hardships of being a parent, and the ramifications of making selfish decisions that might not be apparent until many years later. 

Power of the Dog - good film, (another dour one!) - but such a long game slow burn. Was always intriguing though. 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Been watching Arcane on Netflix. Utterly amazing/beautiful animation - among the best I've ever seen, but the story is lacking I have no idea what's going on. Something about blue power crystals, and purple juice, and Topsiders and Lowsiders. But man is it all so gorgeous to look at. 

I suggested watching Pacific Rim with the kiddos for Family Movie night - I had forgotten that it's a Guillermo Del Toro (big fan) flick - I missed it when it came out initially. Wife put the kibosh on it within the first minute (TOO SCARY!), so we opted for Up instead, which I had never seen. Cute film. 

I see that Drive My Car just arrived on HBOMAX, so I'm hoping to catch it soon. Beepbeep, beepbeep, YEAH!

One of our favorite recent shows, Better Things, just started a new season. Great stuff. Pamela Adlon is so great, and so bold for sticking with creating a show that virtually has no plot from episode to episode. 

• Like 1

Benedetta has been received (and marketed) as “Paul Verhoeven’s nunsploitation movie,” and it’s hard to deny its willful embrace of iconoclasm, sacrilege, and, at times, a pervy male gaze. Still, by pulling viewers into a 17th-century Italian convent aiming to keep both the devil and the plague at bay, Verhoeven seems most interested in exploring power hierarchies and the intermingling of religion, corruption, and delusion. He also asks sincere questions about what it means to be a person of faith. It’s a showy, unruly melding of the sensational and the intellectual, and I kind of loved it.

On a basic story level, both VFW and Old Henry present variations on the action convention of a small band of men defending against siege that John Carpenter (and Howard Hawks) efficiently perfected. In the case of VFW, that means an aging squadron of Vietnam veterans protecting a ramshackle bar against marauding mutant junkies and dealers. The movie doesn’t pretend to have any aspirations beyond generic exploitation, but at least it has a capable cast that includes Stephen Lang, William Sadler, Martin Kove, Fred Williamson, and George Wendt.

Much better is Old Henry, a Western about a turn-of-the-century farmer who, by extending hospitality to an injured man, inadvertently invites the wrath of a posse searching for a bag of cash. The movie has a lot of fun with sub-The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford dialogue and characterizations, and has a deliberate pace that pays dividends as subtle, accumulating clues begin to unravel several mysteries. There’s also the glorious reward of witnessing Tim Blake Nelson turn into a gunslinging action figure. That old Henry’s just been plain greased and ornery of late, and he’s more ready to put you under the pansies than it might look to most appearances.

I'm a bit late on this (don't have Netflix) but it's excellent. I'm a recent convert to F1 (I should get bonus points for getting into it before I saw the show). I've given up on NASCAR. They've ruined that with the rule changes. Indy car has some potential. I hope it continues to come back. I watched the whole Indy 500 when I was in the hospital last year & it was an amazing race. F1 though is just awesome. You get everything in the series. Lot of enjoyable soap opera & politics. Some colorful personalities, too. I'm a fan of Lewis Hamilton. I have set myself a goal of being in good enough health (& having enough money) to go to the inaugural Las Vegas Grand Prix, Thanksgiving weekend 2023. Evidently they are going to build a track on the Bellagio grounds. That's the rumour anyway. Good series!

Formula_1_Drive_to_Survive_TV_Series-973

On 3/26/2022 at 12:41 PM, uncool2pillow said:

Atlanta Season 3... FINALLY! Both new episodes are so good.

Agreed! Masterful.

• Like 1