AGIB 20 Year Anniversary

I don't know anything more than the next Wilco nerd, but when Jeff talks on his Substack about how their archivist (Cheryl Pawelski who curated the YHF reissue) has been hanging around the Loft with him, you know they're getting ready to shake loose some recording you've never heard. AGIB 20 Year is being prepped.

That's my prediction at least.

• Like 2

The timing makes sense for a fall release. Hopefully this means we finally get the Wilco Book on vinyl.

• Like 1
On 3/2/2024 at 6:40 AM, TCP said:

The timing makes sense for a fall release. Hopefully this means we finally get the Wilco Book on vinyl.

The Wilco Book CD is a compilation of the (12?) Fundamentals session recordings, right? Would love to hear more of those!

3 hours ago, Marijn said:

The Wilco Book CD is a compilation of the (12?) Fundamentals session recordings, right? Would love to hear more of those!

Yeah, I remember Jeff saying after all of the scrutiny they put into perfecting YHF he wanted to practice making "records" in real time. I think they did it multiple times. Like anything, I'm sure there's plenty of stuff no one ever needed to hear, but there are probably some gems. Maybe even the hammer dulcimer licks that made it into real songs!

From a 2004 Spin interview:

Several of the songs on A Ghost Is Bornare the result of a process the band calls “fundamentals”: Tweedy played an acoustic guitar and sang random lyrics while the others listened in another room; the rest of the band then performed along with Tweedy while he remained in isolation (they could hear him, but he couldn’t hear them). These half-hour sessions were burned onto CDs; Tweedy would later listen to the discs at home and try to turn fragments into individual songs.

https://www.spin.com/2019/11/wilco-jeff-tweedy-a-ghost-is-born-july-2004-interview-a-ghost-story/

On 3/3/2024 at 3:45 PM, Marijn said:

You need to a) get a beer and b) get a life!  :D

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
On 3/1/2024 at 9:40 PM, TCP said:

I really find it works best on paper.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...

@radiatortunes sent this to me before my alarm went this morning, so after I turned it off this tweet was the first thing I saw. I admit in my still mostly asleep state of mind my initial thought was "fuck, that won't fit on my record shelf".

But if they're teasing us, maybe an actual announcement is imminent?! 

On 3/8/2024 at 6:48 PM, Brian F. said:

I really find it works best on paper.

🫨

I know what you're trying to say BUT... view the actual book as the liner notes and the CD as a release called "The Wilco Book"!

• Like 2