Wilco — 1/29/12, San Francisco, CA (The Warfield)

A moody, fun set tonight. Thought they might come back out for a second encore, so it'd be interesting to see what was on the printed setlist, but it's always emotional with a Lonely 1 ending...

Here was the complete setlist, as played:

Sunken Treasure (electric arrangement, no harmonica)

Art Of Almost

I Might

Ashes Of American Flags>

Bull Black Nova

At Least That's What You Said

One Sunday Morning

Shouldn't Be Ashamed

Either Way

Born Alone

Laminated Cat (electric arrangement)

Impossible Germany

One By One

Forget The Flowers

Handshake Drugs

Standing O

Misunderstood

I Must Be High

The Late Greats

Dawned On Me

--------------------------

Whole Love

Heavy Metal Drummer

I'm The Man Who Loves You

A Shot in the Arm

The Lonely 1

Great setlist, like how Laminated Cat is creeping it's way back into the Wilco picture after the "Evening With" tour a few years ago. With these setlists getting better and better, hopefully they'll come back to the east coast soon.

Well I hope nobody got kicked out or had their cell phone confiscated for violating the "no camera" policy tonight, because Yuka C. Honda (aka Mrs. Nels Cline) broke this rule with impunity:

https://twitter.com/#!/YukaCHonda/status/163858989203980288

And she did it five different times!

OK, maybe she had a photo pass, I don't know. Just thought it was kind of amusing.

I'm guessing he made a mistake, but a friend texted me that they played Not For The Season. Maybe he confused it with Laminated Cat? Either way, it sounds like SF got the goods last night, wow! Thanks, bbop for the prompt setlist postings, really appreciate that!

Laminated Cat and Not for the Season are pretty much one and the same.

A little history here: http://somesongsconsidered.com/post/88085581/laminated-cat-loose-fur-words-jeff-tweedy

For example, on the "official" track list for the Roadcase recording of the 2010 Prague show, it's listed as Not for the Season: http://wilcoworld.net/#!/roadcase/divadlo-archa-prague-cz/

But on the printed setlist on stage, it appears as "Laminated."

So proud of my town. I overheard John say to someone before the show, "they've really cleaned up this area, there aren't nearly as many people lying on the street". Still haven't got that down to zero, but we're getting there! :lol

Loads of fun last night, great company and a great show.

I'm guessing he made a mistake, but a friend texted me that they played Not For The Season. Maybe he confused it with Laminated Cat? Either way, it sounds like SF got the goods last night, wow! Thanks, bbop for the prompt setlist postings, really appreciate that!

Mistake? I know not of what you speak... :ninja

Seriously, though, it's a little surprising to me how many people I've encountered on this tour who seem to be unfamiliar with Laminated Cat/Not For The Season. I know it's not on a Wilco record, but Jeff's been playing it solo for years and it's one of the few "non Wilco" (and non cover) songs that the band seems to include in their sets in recent years. Just seems to me like anyone who's a reasonably big Wilco fan would have come across it at some point...

The biggest dilemma personally is what to call it when typing in setlists because I always think of it as Not For The Season, but the official title on the (Loose Fur) record is Laminated Cat so that's my usual protocol when in doubt. :thumbup

Really getting excited for the Vancouver show this weekend. Hard to believe it's been nearly two (!) years since we've had the pleasure.

The forecast looks promising, so maybe you'll finally get to see those beautiful snow capped mountains, bbop. Japadog, poutine, and Nanaimo bar custard await you!

The forecast looks promising, so maybe you'll finally get to see those beautiful snow capped mountains, bbop. Japadog, poutine, and Nanaimo bar custard await you!

Mountains and Nanaimo bars? Can't wait to see you... :canada

Caught the first 4 Chicago shows in December, and happened to be in SF this weekend, and ended up getting floor tickets for face from a very nice fan.

Standing on the floor in front of Nels about 4-5 people back, we had such a GREAT group of people around us. A lot of enthusiastic and positive fans. I tried to be as respectful as possible, but if I blocked anyone's view momentarily while jumping during Bull Black Nova or a few other songs, I'm sorry.

This was around my 15th show, and finally my first "One By One". Extremely emotional song for me - I was almost in tears. If Tony and your wife are reading this -- you said that I was "like your brother" during that song, and we both talked about some family deaths that we've endured. Please send me a message, because you are awesome people!

Thank you Warfield, 5 years since my last shows there! Such an incredible night end to end. This rivals The Riviera in Chicago for the best show that I've seen.

Really getting excited for the Vancouver show this weekend. Hard to believe it's been nearly two (!) years since we've had the pleasure.

Mountains and Nanaimo bars? Can't wait to see you... :canada

We missed you, Judy! Definitely not the same without you here. :cheekkiss

Mmm... Nanaimo bars...

So proud of my town. I overheard John say to someone before the show, "they've really cleaned up this area, there aren't nearly as many people lying on the street". Still haven't got that down to zero, but we're getting there! :lol

We actually saw one on the way to the bar last night, but still, only one!

I had such a good time last night. Hanging out with friends old and new is the best, and the concert was excellent. Judes, I wish I could make it to Vancouver!

What a setlist.

Please tell me someone was recording. And if so, I will kiss the tapers (only if they're comfortable with it though).

what a setlist..what a show. i've seen wilco 10-15 times over the years, from little shows like the GAMH and slim's shows tweedy referenced to festivals, including multiple bonnaroo sets. last night might have been the best wilco show i've ever seen. nels cline was on fire from start to finish...and the whole band seemed to be just perfectly in sync (i mean, they're always good, always tight, always interesting...this just seemed like one of 'those shows').

i was taping up in the balcony...just right of center, a few rows above the loge area. sounded incredible and a quick listen last night to a bit of it indicates i got a nice pull. nobody in the seat in front of the mics and a quiet, respectful crowd around me for the most part (except when we were all appropriately excited and appreciative). will put it up on etree as soon as i can do a little protools mastering, tracking and tagging. will be under the litmus name. i would imagine there were tapers downstairs at the board too...but never ventured down there to check.

amazing show.

The biggest dilemma personally is what to call it when typing in setlists because I always think of it as Not For The Season, but the official title on the (Loose Fur) record is Laminated Cat so that's my usual protocol when in doubt. :thumbup

I don't know why, but in my mind it's "Not for the Season" when it's acoustic and "Laminated Cat" when it's electric/full band. Clearly there is no good reason for that...or you would know it, P.

Sounds like a great night. I wish I could have joined your circle of chairs (under the classy silhouette!), but I'm enjoying following along via the interwebs. Judy, I hope you don a snazzy pair of Fluevogs for the occasion!

Saw both San Jose and the Warfield. San Jose was surprisingly good--extremely tight and rocking from start to finish. In some ways I thought the playing was better at San Jose, but the overall emotional feel of the show at the Warfield was incomparable. An electric Sunken Treasure to open and Lonely 1 to close? As Tweedy said, morbid (not quite the word I would use...) and so moving. One by One and Either Way? So sweet. A majestic Ashes (Nels is so great on that song). Not to mention the usuals: Art of Almost, Nova, Germany. They have definitely opened up the songbook. It's so fun to see. Now we can only hope for Kingpin in Oaklin' tomorrow night.

Loved the Fox show over the Warfield show! The band was excellent both shows as always but seemed looser and seemed to be having a bit more fun in Oakland. Maybe people would say they were sloppier but I like that there felt to be more innerplay between band members.

The S.F. Warfield show felt like the band was going through the motions a bit and lacked something. Don't get me wrong it was incredibly polished and controlled set but maybe a bit too much so since there seemed to be some tension on stage in S.F.

The Warfield is a dump. Sound was good but it didn't envelope you or have the percussiveness of the Fox. I had never been to either venue before so didn't have any pre-conceived notions but the Fox is a much nicer and better sounding venue then the Warfield which has crappy (narrow) seats and the sound felt like it was just coming from the stage but not projecting out and filling the space like the Fox.

Both great shows I just preferred the show in Oakland. Can't wait to see them back home at the Paramount in Seattle!

Warfield.JPG