• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then Ninth Square- Gorman Bechard. Great read so far. He also directed You Are Alone, The Pretty Girl, and Object in the Mirror are Closer Than They appear. This is the first of his novels I have read and it is great. He also thanks Wilco and the Replacements at the beginning.

isn't Ann Rule the woman who murdered her mother with her friend and was the inspiration for Heavenly Creatures?

no. she never murdered anyone. she wrote the book about Ted Bundy, 'The Stranger Beside Me'. she worked with him at a volunteer crisis help line before he was known to be a serial killer.

oh, who am I thinking of? *edit....I figured it out....Anne Perry (and she was the friend of the girl whose mother was killed)

oooh Ann Rule writes all those true crime books.....I used to have a few by her. The woman who Heavenly Creatures was based on was/is a mystery writer.

Edited by Reni
Guest Ron Cey

Does your copy of How We Are Hungry have the cool jacket and rubber band thingy on it?

and the Non Required Reading series? :wub Very good stuff. Last year I think I gave out 5 copies as Christmas gifts.

i haven't read "how we are hungry" yet, but i love dave eggers... "you shall know our velocity" is one of my favorite books. does anyone here subscribe to mcsweeneys? issue 17 was crazy.

Does your copy of How We Are Hungry have the cool jacket and rubber band thingy on it?

and the Non Required Reading series? :wub Very good stuff. Last year I think I gave out 5 copies as Christmas gifts.

No, I cheaped out on HWAH and got the paperback.

And :yes on the Non Required Reading. I thought last year was a slight dip in quality from the previous year, but I'd still put any of these at the top of my recommendations list.

Not a book: (Yet?) but I thought it would be a good fit for this crowd.

It's a segment from NPR's All things considered called "My Lobotomy"

You can read an abridged version of the narrative here but I'd really suggest listening to it. It has to be the most profoundly moving piece I've ever heard on from NPR.

Maybe it's because I'd just gotten through the first 60-70 pages of Frey's "My friend Leonard" and was feeling a little melancholy anyway but ...damn.

Very touching disturbing story.

link

1583225641.jpg

I picked this up today after hearing this man speak at a conference.....he was amazing. He is speaking again in Joliet tomorrow and I might just drive down to see him.....hmmm.......that's how awesome he was!!

I went a little nuts in the bookstore during my lunch hour. I went in looking for this

10037382.jpg

i've heard his reports on this american life . i wasn't aware he'd written a book. wow!

(quite a haul, there. :lol )

**i checked "botany of desire" out of the library 1.5 weeks ago, but haven't had a chance to read more than the introduction!

Edited by ms yvon
i've heard his reports on this american life . i wasn't aware he'd written a book. wow!

(quite a haul, there. :lol )

I know! It was like I was possessed or something. :lol

That Afghanistan book got perhaps the best review I've ever read, of anything, in the SF Chronicle Sunday Book section. It will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine.