Just finished ...

Braving Home ... examination of several individuals who choose to live in places of isolation and sometimes danger ... the lava flows in Hawaii, an abandoned flooded town in NC, a single highrise in Alaska accessible only by tunnel, the southernmost boundary island of Louisiana, and the fire-plagued hills of Malibu. Excellent.

Now reading ...

The Painted Drum by Louise Erdrich, right up there with her finest stories, this one springs from NH, where the main character and her mother operate an estate sale business, and come across a treasure trove of Indian artifacts, the title drum of which leads her to explore its long provenance and origin.

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went a bit crazy (no pun intended) and bought a dozen self-help books on depression, addictions, self-esteem, etc. for our library at work. The clerk gave me a funny look. :lol

unquiet_mind.jpg

This is excellent so far. She's a rare and gifted person!

Just started this last night. Quite good so far.

cid.jpg

the curious incident of the dog in the night-time

I liked that book, but the main character was so frustrating. I understand why he was how he was, but it was hard to root for him.

Curious Incident

That's one of the hardest things about teaching kids with Aspergers/Autism - communicating with them and getting them to communicate with you. This author did an amazing job at showing the world from an Autistic teenagers viewpoint. Interesting, fun, easy read

Just started rereading:

3190753.gif

Michael Chabon - The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay

and am once again blown away by the scope and beauty of this story. An incredible novel.

I loved this novel when I read it recently. Chabon's prose is so rich and evocative, I felt guilty for reading it at a regular pace. The story is amazing too.

The other thing that I read last night was a long story in the New York Times magazine (written by Barry Bearak) about last December's tsunami.

It is an account of six people who survived, and it is absolutely riveting.

I don't know if it is on-line, but it is worth tracking down.

Guided By Voices A Brief History

Although the book is so far interesting and sheds some light for me on the Monument Club (I'm still a relative newbie to the GBV scene) and other aspects of early GBV, I'm fininding it difficult to read. For someone who used to be an editor at SPIN, Jim Greer is somewhat of a sloppy writer. I realize this is all in fun for how he set how to write it, but the Economist is an easier read. Still, i'll stick with it. I'm curious to see how it ends. :brow

3190753.gif

i love that book... i convinced my senior english teacher in high school to let me write my term paper on it. wonder boys is another favorite. i can't wait for his new one in april.

0060524413.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This dude's semi-estranged wife is the co-worker I had a dream about being in the shower with last week.

Been reading passages today like it was the Bible.

Trout30r3.jpg

Thinking hard about you

I got on the bus

and paid 30 cents car fare

and asked the driver for two transfers

before discovering

that I was

alone.

is the street poetry at the stop where I caught my train today.

kod_us_hc_med.jpg

I want the 12th and final book to come out so I can finally put this god-awful series to rest. I'm a glutton for punishment sometimes...

Thinking hard about you

I got on the bus

and paid 30 cents car fare

and asked the driver for two transfers

before discovering

that I was

alone.

is the street poetry at the stop where I caught my train today.

It's good someone still remembers.

Also from Rommel:

DEER TRACKS

Beautiful, sobbing, high-geared fucking

and then to lie silently like deer tracks

in the freshly-fallen snow beside the one

you love. that's all.

Been reading passages today like it was the Bible.

Trout30r3.jpg

Arrived on my desk today:

A Confederate General from Big Sur

Dreaming of Babylon

The Hawkline Monster

Arrived on my desk today:

A Confederate General from Big Sur

Dreaming of Babylon

The Hawkline Monster

Upon my suggestion, or before?

RIP Richard. Such a gentle soul. :wub