• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will have to dig it out.....I have always felt bad about not reading it. My mom doesn't give me books very often, and when she does I know it's because it means something to her and something she knows I would like.

wow...I tore through the Maureen Dowd book....it was a really good read. Thoughtful, yet entertaining. I love a good columnist.....

and we just got back from the bookstore.....next up?

DOIcover.jpg

I loved Dead Man Walking, read it almost 10 years ago! I wanted to get this when it came out, but was chin deep in grad school work.....so, I am pretty excited about it.

Also, Em and I are starting a weekly tradition of going to the book and/or comic store and then sipping hot cocoa at the coffeeshop next door.....I am telling you, tonight, it was the best two hours I have spent in recent weeks! :wub

Edited by Reni
Krik? Krak. by Edwidge Dandicat. Contemporary and horrifying Haitian stories.

We teach this in the Sophomore Lit. class at the school where I teach. I've been meaning to read it for years, but don't teach that class, so I haven't gotten around to it yet. I know that it's a pretty popular read.

I just finished Wicked by Gregory Maguire. I don't usually enjoy fantasy but I loved it. Anyone who ever loved the Wizard of Oz needs to read it.

1553651162.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

"In my mind, Neil is fifty feet tall and made of solid gold - even his flannel shirts are gold - and his muttonchop sideburns are bejeweled. I value his music too much to chance any disillusioning encounters" :lol

I passed Kevin Chong (the guy who wrote this) on the street today. I was tempted to start a conversation.

023700.jpg

From Library Journal

Douglas (The Feminization of American Culture, 1978) here concentrates on Manhattan in the 1920s, with an emphasis on the Harlem Renaissance. More than just a portait of New York in the Jazz Age, this work is a social and intellectual history of the United States. It covers American literature, music, and architecture and discusses the influences of Freud, William James, and matriarchy on early 20th-century thought. Exhaustively researched, the narrative introduces a large cast of protagonists and features lots of anecdotes, plot summaries, and discussion of popular music. Douglas shows how the intellectual life of one city in one decade was such an important part of American cultural history. For informed lay readers and scholars generally.

Gary Williams, Southeastern Ohio Regional Lib., Caldwell

Copyright 1995 Reed Business Information, Inc.--This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

Really, really good. Unfortunately, I left it at my sister's house in Albuquerque. :realmad

kinskiUncut.jpg

I'm not so sure if this can be called an autobiography - most of it seems too bizarre to be true - but it's highly entertaining. I've been on a huge Werner Herzog/Kinski kick lately, and some of the things Kinski has to say about Herzog are hilarious!

I also checked out Herzog's book "Of Walking On Ice" - his diary he kept as he walked from Munich to Paris. Herzog somehow got it in his head that his terminally sick friend in Paris wouldn't die if he went there by foot.

Kinski was a stunning actor (only seen him in Herzog films though), and I think Herzog is one of the very few artists who can be labeled "genius", but what a couple of kooks!!

:lol

Edited by jahilia
kinskiUncut.jpg

I'm not so sure if this can be called an autobiography - most of it seems too bizarre to be true - but it's highly entertaining. I've been on a huge Werner Herzog/Kinski kick lately, and some of the things Kinski has to say about Herzog are hilarious!

I also checked out Herzog's book "Of Walking On Ice" - his diary he kept as he walked from Munich to Paris. Herzog somehow got it in his head that his terminally sick friend in Paris wouldn't die if he went there by foot.

Kinski was a stunning actor (only seen him in Herzog films though), and I think Herzog is one of the very few artists who can be labeled "genius", but what a couple of kooks!!

:lol

Judging from the documentary My Best Fiend and all the other stories I've heard come out of Herzog's mouth, I'd assume that a lot of it is true. He does say in My Best Fiend (the film) that he and Kinski would sit around and make up insults that Kinski could put in the book directed at Werner, because they both understood that people would only find the book interesting if they played up their disagreements. The fact that they both made serious plans to murder each other at the same time kind of shows how mad they were though - I think Werner planned to fire-bomb Kinski's house or something. You're right, their film work together is absolutely incredible (although I actually think that Herzog's films with Bruno S are better). I didn't know this book was back in print, I think I better seek it out then!

Guest Speed Racer

Just finished it. I liked it, but I'm sick and tired of every time he says, "No, I need to do things on my own," and then gets monetary help from Leonard.

Thank you VC for this....

leonard.jpg

The first 100 pages of this was heart wrenching.

Eyes filled with tears, at times it was like attempting to read under water.

Highly recommended.