Best song to serenade the opposite sex

Dude, I love "I Heard Her Call My Name", but trust me, it doesn't get the ladies in the mood.

Your right, its "Sister Ray" that gets the drags going.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I have to go with:

Wilco:

California Stars

I'm The Man That Loves You

I'm Always In Love

Pieholden Suite

Far Far Away

Say You Miss Me

New Madrid

Wait Up

(These have work well)

Neil Young:

Harvest (Great fucking song)

Bob Dylan:

Shelter From The Storm

Apple Sucking Tree

Corina Corina

Your Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go

The Velvet Underground:

Pale Blue Eyes

I'll come up with more later especially more Neil Young and Dylan and other artists.

• 3 months later...

i prefer Radiohead version of "Nobody does it Better" (the bond theme) - Originally by Carly Simon...

Nobody does it better

Makes me feel sad for the rest

Nobody does it half as good as you

Baby, you're the best

I wasn't looking but somehow you found me

It tried to hide from your love light

But like Heaven above me

The spy who loved me

Is keeping all my secrets safe tonight

And nobody does it better

Though sometimes I wish someone could

Nobody does it quite the way you do

Why'd you have to be so good?

The way that you hold me

Whenever you hold me

There's some kind of magic inside you

That keeps me from running

But just keep it coming

How'd you learn to do the things you do?

And nobody does it better

Makes me feel sad for the rest

Nobody does it half as good as you

Baby, baby, darlin', you're the best

Baby, you're the best

Darlin', you're the best

Baby, you're the best

Baby, you're the best

Baby, you're the best

Baby, you're the best

• 4 weeks later...

Man, almost a year later I realize I came off as prick when I posted in this thread about my girlfriend at the time.

Anyway, any girl who would swoon to Far, Far Away is cool in my book. I took a lady to see JT solo and she cried during Sunken Treasure and let me just tell you--that is one of the most attractive things possible.

That being said, nothing will ever top Reservations. It may not be as warm and cuddly as most of the songs, and it doesn't translate into guitar, but the lyrics are so straight-forward and beautiful--especially in the context of an album filled with conflicted feelings.

I've got reservations about so many things but not about you.

The greatest lyrics are the ones that don't need to rhyme, and Tweedy nails it with that one.

Man, almost a year later I realize I came off as prick when I posted in this thread about my girlfriend at the time.

Anyway, any girl who would swoon to Far, Far Away is cool in my book. I took a lady to see JT solo and she cried during Sunken Treasure and let me just tell you--that is one of the most attractive things possible.

That being said, nothing will ever top Reservations. It may not be as warm and cuddly as most of the songs, and it doesn't translate into guitar, but the lyrics are so straight-forward and beautiful--especially in the context of an album filled with conflicted feelings.

I've got reservations about so many things but not about you.

The greatest lyrics are the ones that don't need to rhyme, and Tweedy nails it with that one.

*Far, Far Away worked on me. We really hadn't known each other very long, maybe just seen each other a handful of times, but somehow we ended up taking off on a Friday morning and heading out to the Blue Ridge Parkway with a tent in the trunk and a handful of his cd's in the player. I knew a little about his musical leanings but no clue that he liked Wilco. That song starting coming through the speakers as we neared the place we were going to camp, two people who really didn't know each other, a little nervous that we'd committed to a weekend in the wild to boot.....I felt infinitely more comfortable and the act of each of us singing along here and there through our shyness was sweet foreplay......the mountain bed followed....

*Far, Far Away worked on me. We really hadn't known each other very long, maybe just seen each other a handful of times, but somehow we ended up taking off on a Friday morning and heading out to the Blue Ridge Parkway with a tent in the trunk and a handful of his cd's in the player. I knew a little about his musical leanings but no clue that he liked Wilco. That song starting coming through the speakers as we neared the place we were going to camp, two people who really didn't know each other, a little nervous that we'd committed to a weekend in the wild to boot.....I felt infinitely more comfortable and the act of each of us singing along here and there through our shyness was sweet foreplay......the mountain bed followed....

That's awesome. I was singing one of their new tracks from Sky Blue Sky while at work and my manager asked me 'Was that Wilco?'. I've already been in love with her for the past like two months (not real love, just playful kind) and so I proposed to her right there and then on the spot! Haha. Wilco has this great way of being subtely there, yet when you find out about it you can share this great relationship with someone. I think maybe it's becuase of a certain characteristic that's found throughout all the people who really LOVE the band. There's something universal in the listeners, the real die-hard Wilco fans.

But by Far, Far Away I meant that I perform it for people. It's one of my favorite covers to play, if not THE favorite. It's out of my range and slow and my voice barely makes enough noise to hear when I sing it but for some reason that only makes it more enjoyable. There's an intimacy there that's hightened when you have to phyiscally lean forward, swoon along to the rhythm. My Wilco-loving friends always ask me to sing it for them whenever we're all sitting around, and its one of the few songs I enjoy covering.

• 1 month later...
My boyfriend and I are both HUGE Wilco fans, and I remember a month into dating I played "Reservations" for him (our relationship is beyond complicated at this point) and he cried. This past weekend I was over at his place and played "Far Far Away" and "Millonaire"(he's changed to she's of course) while we were sitting up on the roof of the building and he told me he loved me for the first time...

:barf

just kidding, thats really sweet

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...