Who will win the World Cup in 2006?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the world Cup in 2006?

• Brazil
    • France
    • USA
    • Germany
    • England
    • Argentina
    • Holland
    • Italy
    • Spain
    • Ghana
  2. 2. How far will the US team make it?

• Won't make it into the round of 16
    • will lose in the round of 16
    • Will make it to Quarter finals but no futher
    • Will Make the Semi-Finals but Lose :(
    • Will make it to the Finals the furthest ever for an American Team only to lose and disappoint America
    • Will Win it ALL ( I Know Wishful Thinking)

Hopefully Reyna's injury isn't too bad. The US really needs him.

Funny, I've never been a big fan of Reyna. I hope his injury isn't serious and that he's fit for the Cup, but I've never been particularly impressed with his on-field contributions.

Meh. We'll see. I think this side is good enough to go pretty deep into the tournament, but that is one hell of a first-round pool they drew into.

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being English, naturally I'm supporting England, but my hopes are not as high as they would be with a passionate manager in charge. Sorry, I like Sven as a person, but he doesn't strike me as a man to inspire, when the backs are against the wall tactically I find him a bit void of ideas. This doesn't make me a Little Englander.... far from it - I'd love to have have seen someone like Arsene Wenger in charge when Sven steps down.

Getting back to the World Cup - yes, I think England have a chance. But then we've been banging that drum pre-tournament ever since the game was invented. It's like the press think we've have a God-given right to win these things. We don't. I'd prefer it if we down played our chances for a change rather than big ourselves up too much. If I hear the phrase "this is the best group of players since 1966" again I'll go up the wall!

Anyway, I think a lesser team may well sneak through and nick it a la Greece in the Euro Championships. My bets are Argentina to win it (watch out for Lionel Messi - if fit, he will be one of the stars of this World Cup) and Czech Republic as an outside bet.

I'm off to see a couple of England's final friendly games before the World Cup - tomorrow night against Belarus and a week on Saturday against Jamaica. I'll report back on whether this kid Walcott really can walk on water!

I'll be curious to know what you think about Walcott - he's supposed to be very quick and skillful.

It's an interesting team they've put together for that Belarus game, some guys who, if impress, could make a difference in the World Cup should they be selected.

Go Finland! Oh wait...

Wales v Finland was the first Wales football international I went to at the Millennium stadium... you beat us 2-1 :D

i've never really watched soccer, but i'm going to be in germany during the world cup this summer so i'm thinking by the time i get home i'm giong to have to be very into it. we have time set aside almost every night for going somewhere and watching soccer haha. it's going to be crazy, i'm excited to see what it's all about.

Walcott is a nice gamble and one I hope will pay off.

I don't understand what they see in him that Arsene Wenger doesn't. That said, I hope this WC is the jumpstart to an incredible career for Arsenal :yes

I don't understand what they see in him that Arsene Wenger doesn't. That said, I hope this WC is the jumpstart to an incredible career for Arsenal :yes

Well, Arsene signed him, paid massive money for, and at the time (4 months ago) he was rated the best teenage talent in Britain. The reason Arsenal haven't played him is because he's seen as 'one for the future', and with Henry popping in the goals as if they were Pringles, he felt no need to risk him ...yet. Next season will be different. Trust me, you don't pay what could rise to

Well, Arsene signed him, paid massive money for, and at the time (4 months ago) he was rated the best teenage talent in Britain. The reason Arsenal haven't played him is because he's seen as 'one for the future', and with Henry popping in the goals as if they were Pringles, he felt no need to risk him ...yet. Next season will be different. Trust me, you don't pay what could rise to
That makes sense; that's the first solid explanation I've gotten. Most of the talking heads make it sound like a terrible decision, but I agree with Crouch on one side you have to have speed/quickness on the other.

Apparently, Walcott is quicker than Henry - which is a frightening prospect for the opposition.

Guest Laminated Kat

beckham.jpg

It is that time again.....and I can't wait! The World Cup is the best sporting event there is, imo. I lived in England for 3 years and will always pull for those boys. I miss McManaman though. Why doesn't he play on the national team anymore. Is he on it this year? McManaman and Owen made an incredible team.

mcmanaman.jpg

beckham.jpg

It is that time again.....and I can't wait! The World Cup is the best sporting event there is, imo. I lived in England for 3 years and will always pull for those boys. I miss McManaman though. Why doesn't he play on the national team anymore. Is he on it this year? McManaman and Owen made an incredible team.

mcmanaman.jpg

I think he's retired through injury.

Guest Laminated Kat
I think he's retired through injury.

That's too bad. He's an incredible player.

Gifted footballer who never quite made it... though his rather large wages paid during his stint at Real Madrid will help the retirement - don't think the Kop ever forgave him for that.

He was my favorite when he was on the National team. I am sad he's not around.

What about Maldini and Italy? has he retired?

That's too bad. He's an incredible player.

He was my favorite when he was on the National team. I am sad he's not around.

What about Maldini and Italy? has he retired?

McManaman didn't do to badly at Real Madrid, won the Champions League, scoring in the final. I think he got a bit lazy due to his exorbitant wages - and spent a few seasons just warming the bench. Came back to England, eventually, to play for Manchester City, didn't really do anything there apart from lie on the physio's treatment table.

Maldini - he's still playing for AC Milan, so I would suspect that he's still playing for the national team... the defenders tend to hang on for a long time in Italy.

But a quick check at the 23 man squad shows that Maldini hasn't been selected.

Guest Laminated Kat
But a quick check at the 23 man squad shows that Maldini hasn't been selected.

That's what I heard and I was pretty sad. He was a great Captain for the national team. I can't imagine them without him really.

I really hope Klinsman (sp.) isn't playing for Germany anymore. I can't stand him. He plays very dirty football.

I really hope Klinsman (sp.) isn't playing for Germany anymore. I can't stand him. He plays very dirty football.

He's not playing for them. Worse. He's the coach.

I think we should all don blonde mullets and whistle the whistley bit from Scorpions' 'Wind Of Change', in honour.

Guest Laminated Kat
He's not playing for them. Worse. He's the coach.

:no I can't stand him. I remeber Euro Cup.......was it 1995? England defeated Germany in the final and I will never forget the unsportsman way he conducted himself in that final match.

This is all a little blurred as I know I was one Caffrey's too many by the time sudden death started. Oh England, how I miss it!

He retired himself from the National game after Euro 2004 to focus on playing for Manchester United, it's not that he was washed up or anything, he'd just had enough I guess.

:no

Oh well, good for Man Utd, but still... :upset