Who will win the World Cup in 2006?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the world Cup in 2006?

• Brazil
    • France
    • USA
    • Germany
    • England
    • Argentina
    • Holland
    • Italy
    • Spain
    • Ghana
  2. 2. How far will the US team make it?

• Won't make it into the round of 16
    • will lose in the round of 16
    • Will make it to Quarter finals but no futher
    • Will Make the Semi-Finals but Lose :(
    • Will make it to the Finals the furthest ever for an American Team only to lose and disappoint America
    • Will Win it ALL ( I Know Wishful Thinking)

When I was a teenager, only christian schools had soccer.

When I was a pre-teenager, the youth soccer program got more kids to sign up than the baseball one.

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was a pre-teenager, the youth soccer program got more kids to sign up than the baseball one.

You know why that is - they see soccer as a non-contact sport.

For my parents it was because the local little league was rife with angry fathers screaming at umpires, coaches, their sons, etc. And that was 1976.

I'm sure it's just as bad now in youth soccer. :hmm

well, if you've ever played soccer, you know it's anything but non-contact.

it has this reputation as being a wussy sport, but no other major sport, in my opinion, requires more stamina and mental toughness.

well, if you've ever played soccer, you know it's anything but non-contact.

it has this reputation as being a wussy sport, but no other major sport, in my opinion, requires more stamina and mental toughness.

That's what they thought, not me.

And the lure of the New York Cosmos, a team that was more interesting than the entire MLS combined.

those were the days my friend

Cosmos, Cosmos, Cosmos !!!!!!!!

The Chicago Sting were more fun to watch. Or maybe I'm only saying that because I was a Sting fan.

I've seen a lot of professional soccer in my life -- World Cup, international friendlies, NASL, English Premier League (though back then I think it was just First Division) -- and to this day the match I enjoyed the most was the 6-5 shootout victory for the Sting over the Cosmos at Wrigley Field, probably sometime in the early '80s. Unbelievable match, featuring many of the best players ever to play in the old NASL. (Pele had already retired, sadly.)

Guest Laminated Kat

Best shape of my life was when I played center 1/2. And I run 35+ miles a week now. I'd kill to have that stamina now.

Georgio, Franz

I was a Tampa Bay Rowdy fan

Chinaglia was with the Cosmos for that game ... don't remember about Beckenbauer. The Sting had the guy who had one of my favorite footballer names: Arno Steffenhagen!

Ah yes, the Rowdies ... and the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers ... San Jose Earthquakes ... L.A. Aztecs ... Seattle Sounders ... New England Tea Men ... Detroit Express ... San Diego Sockers ... Minnesota Kicks ... I know I'm forgetting a whole bunch of 'em. What a great league that was.

• 2 weeks later...

For all you non-soccer football people, here's something taken from when the USA hosted the tournament.

And it does appear that Wayne Rooney is fit and will be going to the World Cup. Hoorah! But how will he replace England's new goal scoring threat, and his

I'm going for a dark horse: Ukraine.

I think they may do a Croatia (was it Euro 96?) and all pull together as a team. They qualified well. An injury problem with one of the main men up front (was it Rebrov - I haven't been following that closely), and they are real outsiders, but I'll stick with them (keeps the wife onside as well of course!).

Top Scorer: Another oddball: Borgetti from Mexico. I think he may just pile up a ton of goals in the group they're in.

I am putting my money behind England this time. I just have a feeling it'll all come together this time round. Wishful thinking perhaps. Other than England, I think Croatia will do well again, and Germany will either go out in the first round or go a long way. Whatever happens I think that the cup is going to someone in Europe this time round, Brazil surely can't win it again and Argentina just don't seem focused enough nor do they play much as a team in my eyes.

Top scorer: Steven Gerrard, I think him playing well is far more important to England's success than Rooney playing or not.

Top Scorer: Another oddball: Borgetti from Mexico. I think he may just pile up a ton of goals in the group they're in.

Oddball? Less of the cheek, he plays for my team! ;)

Winners: Argentina

Dark horses: Czech Republic

Top Goalscorer: Hernan Crespo