Who will win the World Cup in 2006?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the world Cup in 2006?

• Brazil
    • France
    • USA
    • Germany
    • England
    • Argentina
    • Holland
    • Italy
    • Spain
    • Ghana
  2. 2. How far will the US team make it?

• Won't make it into the round of 16
    • will lose in the round of 16
    • Will make it to Quarter finals but no futher
    • Will Make the Semi-Finals but Lose :(
    • Will make it to the Finals the furthest ever for an American Team only to lose and disappoint America
    • Will Win it ALL ( I Know Wishful Thinking)

Puts Rooney in the shade - Boris Johnson tackles a German

For the uninitiated, Boris Johnson is a Tory MP, a bit of a clown - think Monty Python upper class twit of the year competition - although the fact that he seems genuine, has little time for spin, and actually answers questions with wit and good humour wins him some points with me. He is playing in a charity celebrity/ex-footballers 'Legends' match just before the world cup. Seems like he went to a rugby school.

Plus, he never even got a yellow card.

Who'd have thunk that one of the modern era's greatest ever players would seek inspiration from Boris Johnson??!

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who'd have thunk that one of the modern era's greatest ever players would seek inspiration from Boris Johnson??!

It's just typical of the modern game - can't even hit the head with a head butt. Come back Norman Hunter, Chopper Harris, all is forgiven!

I can't believe Zidane... just can't get my head round it at all... unbelieveable.

And with him went the French hopes... rubbish.

Shocking huh? I can't think of anything quite like it. A world class player in his final game, with a world cup on the line, in front of a billion people loosing his shit like that. I wonder what the Italian guy said to him that got him so worked up.

Shocking huh? I can't think of anything quite like it. A world class player in his final game, with a world cup on the line, in front of a billion people loosing his shit like that. I wonder what the Italian guy said to him that got him so worked up.

COME ON PEOPLE! we are talking about fuckin Zidane here, he is a true european footballer. I thought it was fricken sweet. These sort of plays proves every American fuck out there who calls soccer a "field fairy" sport, that they have no clue what they are talking about. Emotions rise and games get intense... I commend Zidane on going out with style, true european football.

now lets drink up, start some riots, and break some shit!

:cheers :beer :beer :beer :beer :stunned :w00t :w00t :w00t :w00t :w00t

I'm not a huge soccer fan, but watched much of the final yesterday.

The save by Italy's goalie on a late-in-the-game France headbutt was amazing. Italy dodged many bulletes and was very fortunate to get a chance at the end.

And Zidane's action was insanely stupid.....I just thought, "why?"....."for what reason?".

The guy called him a terrorist. And with Zidane being Algerian (I believe), he took major offense to it.

bobbob - link? I have only seen speculation about why he did it. I have heard it was likely racial insults - but haven't heard anything specific.

Also, the recipient of the headbut could likely win an Oscar nod. What a freakin show.

bobbob - link? I have only seen speculation about why he did it. I have heard it was likely racial insults - but haven't heard anything specific.

Also, the recipient of the headbut could likely win an Oscar nod. What a freakin show.

I heard someone mention it on tv. No link as of now, unfortunately.

BBC, via Zidane's agent apparently, was saying unspecified comment regarding his mother. Zidane didn't tell his agent exactly what it was. The thing is, he must have had alot of sledging before. You only have to go to a park and watch a pub side to hear all that goes on. Don't know why he would snap with all his experience. Still I say: should have got him in the head. Just once I would like to see an Italian who is actually injured. It might improve the acting skills of the rest of the team to see the real thing first hand.

Euro 2008!

Doubt I will be able to watch that on this side of the pond. We barely even get coverage of the MLS here. It is quite sad. :hmm

BBC, via Zidane's agent apparently, was saying unspecified comment regarding his mother. Zidane didn't tell his agent exactly what it was. The thing is, he must have had alot of sledging before. You only have to go to a park and watch a pub side to hear all that goes on. Don't know why he would snap with all his experience. Still I say: should have got him in the head. Just once I would like to see an Italian who is actually injured. It might improve the acting skills of the rest of the team to see the real thing first hand.

*Seconded*

The Italian dude gave Zidane a titty twister just a few minutes before the headbutt. He was playing very dirty whenever the ref wasn't looking. It would have been awesome if Zidane got away with it. It was a bad finish for the World Cup. The French outplayed Italy most of the game until Zidane got ejected. Even though the first goal by Zidane on the PK in the 7th minute was a total bull call the ref's made it up to the Itailians when they didn't call a obvious PK for the French much later in the game. The way the game ended was just plain sad I am not a big fan of the PK shootout at the end but the game must be decided some how. I like it a little better when the goalies determine the winner not one bad shot by a player, but what can you do. At that point in the game after Zidane left the only chance the French had was if they made it to a PK shootout.

My major dislike for the Italians not only comes from the way they play the game but this recent soccer scandal in Italy. I don't understand 12 of the players on Italy's team were on the cheating teams but the only people being investigated are the refs and owners. The players weren't envolved in fixing games at all I find that hard to believe.

My major dislike for the Italians not only comes from the way they play the game but this recent soccer scandal in Italy. I don't understand 12 of the players on Italy's team were on the cheating teams but the only people being investigated are the refs and owners. The players weren't envolved in fixing games at all I find that hard to believe.

From my understanding, most of the allegations were for the club owners specifically assigning refs to ref certain matches. That sounds like to me that the decisions were made in the office...not on the field. I dont think that most of the italian players, if not all of them were aware that this was going on. They want to keep those things hushed up, if a player was informed of it then left to a different squad whats to say he would keep his mouth shut?? I dont blame the players, I blame the political bullshit thats been following soccer for years...

JOGA BONITA!

Guest Laminated Kat
It was a bad finish for the World Cup. The French outplayed Italy most of the game until Zidane got ejected. Even though the first goal by Zidane on the PK in the 7th minute was a total bull call the ref's made it up to the Itailians when they didn't call a obvious PK for the French much later in the game. T

Whatever.

ITALY

Always my second choice if England can't have it. First Federer, then Italy. It was a good day in sports.

Italy got robbed earlier in the game by an off-sides call (VERY questionable).

By the way, I'm not a soccer junkie, but I think the off-sides rule is somewhat riciculous. I'm not saying games should be 9-7 or 10-5, but maybe letting the offenses have more ways of scoring could increase the excitement of the game.

To me, soccer is much like hockey......there's always many shots on goal, but there seems much more luck in scoring a goal than skill. I'll see a player do an offensive move that drops my jaw, only to see the ball bounce of a cross bar or a lucky-guessing goalie's hand. Then I'll see some dude kick the ball from 30 yards away (or whack a puck from the center-line) and it'll bounce off a player and a referee's butt and go into the goal.

But regardless.

WAY TO GO ITALY!!!!!!

COME ON PEOPLE! we are talking about fuckin Zidane here, he is a true european footballer. I thought it was fricken sweet. These sort of plays proves every American fuck out there who calls soccer a "field fairy" sport, that they have no clue what they are talking about. Emotions rise and games get intense... I commend Zidane on going out with style, true european football.

now lets drink up, start some riots, and break some shit!

:cheers :beer :beer :beer :beer :stunned :w00t :w00t :w00t :w00t :w00t

He did win the FIFA Golden Ball. :hmm