7/10/06 -- Montreal, Quebec

Setlist first, with some brief comments to follow...

The Late Greats

IATTBYH

Hell is Chrome

Handshake Drugs

A Shot in the Arm

new song-Impossible Germany

Company In My Back

Jesus, etc.

Walken

Theologians

War on War

At Least That's What You Said

Misunderstood

new song-What Light

Hummingbird

-----------------------------

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

Airline to Heaven

Forget the Flowers

Kingpin

-----------------------------

Heavy Metal Drummer

I'm The Man Who Loves You>

Monday

I'm A Wheel

First of all, for setlist purposes (and no one else probably cares about this besides Rob), the newest song that I had been calling "There's a Light" should probably be switched to "What Light," which is how the band has it written on its setlists. I guess I had been slightly mishearing the chorus, which goes, "There's a light, what light/There's a light, what light/Inside of you." I thought it had been "one light."

The coolest thing about What Light tonight was the way Jeff kept singing the chorus as he backed away from the microphone, and that ended up being how the song faded out. It sounded pretty awesome. :thumbup

What else of note from tonight? Well, somewhat to my chagrin, the Canadian "Wilco is cock" flag from the other night traveled with the band from London to Montreal and was draped over Mike's keyboard stand the whole night. Fortunately no additional comments were made about it.

More notable was that, just to show that some of the new songs are still definite works in progress, a slightly different rendition of Impossible Germany emerged. Apparently in soundcheck, the band decided to flip Nels' solo and the subsequent jam with the second verse, so that now the solo and jam comes in the middle of the song and then Jeff closes it out with the second verse. Who knows if that's how it will end up?

Oh, and they did the fade-out ending to Spiders for the first time since the beginning of the tour. I liked the fakeout ending, but I think there's also something to the fade out.

Seems like Jeff's getting tired of explaining the whole Kingpin screaming routine, so for the second show in a row, he had someone from the audience come up on stage and explain to the rest of the crowd exactly what to do. I sense this will become pretty routine.

Jeff has been very good with singing the right words, but he flubbed a couple of lyrics tonight. Including accidentally switching the lines in Monday -- singing "He's waiting for a postcard" the first time through and "with the left arm tan." Haha. :)

All in all, a pretty fun show -- maybe the last real club show for a while?

... to my chagrin, the Canadian "Wilco is cock" flag from the other night traveled with the band from London to Montreal and was draped over Mike's keyboard stand the whole night.

:lol Just to torment you Paul!

It should have been written in French as well. (BTW, did you have any Poulet Frit Kentucky?)

First of all, for setlist purposes (and no one else probably cares about this besides Rob), the newest song that I had been calling "There's a Light" should probably be switched to "What Light," which is how the band has it written on its setlists.

Thanks so much for your timely setlist updates. I tune in each morning for the latest setlists, and your show reviews. I think I owe you a few of these :beer the next time our paths cross.

:cheers

:lol Just to torment you Paul!

It should have been written in French as well. (BTW, did you have any Poulet Frit Kentucky?)

"The link between France and cockerels stems back to Roman times when France was known as Gaul - which is similar to gallus, the Latin word for cockerel.

This play on words meant that over time France came to be represented by a cockerel.

In the Middle Ages French coins were engraved with cockerels and the symbol was adopted by the leaders of the French Revolution in 1789.

Napoleon introduced the symbol of an eagle but the masses missed their cock and it was duly reintroduced in the 19th century.

During World War I the cockerel became a symbol of French courage and readiness to fight to the death."

The French fans visiting Cardiff for the rugby always used to let a cockerel onto the pitch. It doesn't happen much these days with the security and whatnot. I couldn't find a picture at a rugby match, but here's one of Michel Platini at a football match from the 80s.

_1087553_platini300.jpg

First of all, for setlist purposes (and no one else probably cares about this besides Rob), the newest song that I had been calling "There's a Light" should probably be switched to "What Light," which is how the band has it written on its setlists. I guess I had been slightly mishearing the chorus, which goes, "There's a light, what light/There's a light, what light/Inside of you." I thought it had been "one light."

I actually care about it. I am an admitted setlist geek.

Thanks for all the prompt setlists and descriptions. I check every morning after a show for the setlist and I appreciate all your posts. :cheers

As for the aformentioned "What Light" ...... the first available recording of this song is up at the VC tracker from the London, Ontario show:

http://bt.viachicago.org/details.php?id=538

I would agree it's one of the most straight pop songs I've heard from Wilco. I'm diggin' it. I could possibly hear John Hiatt doing this one.

Jeff has been very good with singing the right words, but he flubbed a couple of lyrics tonight. Including accidentally switching the lines in Monday -- singing "He's waiting for a postcard" the first time through and "with the left arm tan." Haha. :)

The Metropolis was where he completely and totally forgot "...is my heart full of holes..." from Always in Love, yes? Must be something in the crepes. :D

Thanks so much for your timely setlist updates. I tune in each morning for the latest setlists, and your show reviews. I think I owe you a few of these :beer the next time our paths cross.

:cheers

No problem, man. Just trying to do my part. :blush

And no, Judy, no PFK for me this time. And alas, no crepes either. But I did have a nice smoked meat sandwich at Ben's, does that count? :)

"The link between France and cockerels stems back to Roman times when France was known as Gaul - which is similar to gallus, the Latin word for cockerel. ... Napoleon introduced the symbol of an eagle but the masses missed their cock and it was duly reintroduced in the 19th century. ...the cockerel became a symbol of French courage and readiness to fight to the death."

Only you could connect the dots so well through obscure European references.

Wilco, c'est coq!

got the show up on bt.etree.org

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=27037

Please don't reseed it to the viachicago tracker in the next few days because it just makes the overall process slower. Hope you like!

Wilco

2006-07-10

Metropolis

Montreal, Qc

Canada

Source: AT853rx(cardioid)>Marantz ACM PMD660 [mics on stand @ approx. 10 feet, beside SBD]

Transfer: CF Card>Adobe Audition (minor edits)>CDwave>FLAC

Note: there is some light low-end rumble audible between some songs. Not sure if I was under an air-conditioning

duct or something else. The noise is pretty unnoticeable during the music.

Thanks to Mark for the Clamp!

Taped and transferred by Blane

-DISC 1-

1. Intro (band coming on stage)

2. The Late Greats

3. I am Trying to Break Your Heart

4. Hell is

Only you could connect the dots so well through obscure European references.

Wilco, c'est coq!

lecoq.gif

I had a 'coq sportif' track suit years ago, at an age when it provoked sniggers. I think they still kit out the French team. Certainly the most famous French sports brand.

Guest Jules
Apparently in soundcheck, the band decided to flip Nels' solo and the subsequent jam with the second verse, so that now the solo and jam comes in the middle of the song and then Jeff closes it out with the second verse. Who knows if that's how it will end up?

Any thoughts on this version vs. the previous version? Without actually hearing this version, it sounds like a positive change to me. It just seems kind of flat for most of the song waiting for that solo/jam.

Just curious for those of you who have heard both.

Any thoughts on this version vs. the previous version? Without actually hearing this version, it sounds like a positive change to me. It just seems kind of flat for most of the song waiting for that solo/jam.

Just curious for those of you who have heard both.

the newer version is definitely better

The coolest thing about What Light tonight was the way Jeff kept singing the chorus as he backed away from the microphone, and that ended up being how the song faded out. It sounded pretty awesome. :thumbup

What else of note from tonight? Well, somewhat to my chagrin, the Canadian "Wilco is cock" flag from the other night traveled with the band from London to Montreal and was draped over Mike's keyboard stand the whole night. Fortunately no additional comments were made about it.

More notable was that, just to show that some of the new songs are still definite works in progress, a slightly different rendition of Impossible Germany emerged. Apparently in soundcheck, the band decided to flip Nels' solo and the subsequent jam with the second verse, so that now the solo and jam comes in the middle of the song and then Jeff closes it out with the second verse. Who knows if that's how it will end up?

Oh, and they did the fade-out ending to Spiders for the first time since the beginning of the tour. I liked the fakeout ending, but I think there's also something to the fade out.

Seems like Jeff's getting tired of explaining the whole Kingpin screaming routine, so for the second show in a row, he had someone from the audience come up on stage and explain to the rest of the crowd exactly what to do. I sense this will become pretty routine.

All in all, a pretty fun show -- maybe the last real club show for a while?

It was a high energy show...much better than Toronto's in every way, better and brighter sound, crowd atmosphere, lighting was awesome, the band looked great... thank you Wilco for playing Monday on Monday night!

It was a high energy show...much better than Toronto's in every way, better and brighter sound, crowd atmosphere, lighting was awesome, the band looked great... thank you Wilco for playing Monday on Monday night!

Is it only me..but Jeff sounded like Bob Dylan tonite when he sang What Light, even Forget the flowers and Airline to heaven.

That was me!

I'm hopping right on the torrent; it's probably the only time I'll be able to hear myself on a Wilco recording of any sort...

Edited by Heinekren

More proof that Wilco and Jeff Tweedy are not only the most fan friendly act in rock & roll but also have one great sense of humor! :D

More proof that Wilco and Jeff Tweedy are not only the most fan friendly act in rock & roll but also have one great sense of humor! :D

Well, he was all smiles and laughs helping me on stage, but when we shooks hands he said "Keep it brief buddy!"... I was afraid of overstaying my welcome and getting Bennetted from the band ;)

That was me!

I'm hopping right on the torrent; it's probably the only time I'll be able to hear myself on a Wilco recording of any sort...

Forever immortalized on a Wilco bootleg - NICE! You were great and Jeff really appreciated how you handled it. Great Job!