i have Eureka and Insignificance on vinyl, and the rest on CD (well, from terminal pharmacy onward)but by far halfway to a threeway is my favorite thing he's done so far. my only complaint is that it's just 4 songs long. the title track alone is worth the purchase,in my opinion. it's a pretty funny (but disturbing) song about doing..uh..."things" to girls with various physical ailments.

"as i lay you down on my bed,

it don't matter that you're brain dead.

i can get so close to ya,

now that you're in a coma.

i'll make it sweet but short

when i pull out your life support.

and i know that you'll just fade away.

now i'm halfway to a threeway."

come to think of it, a lot of the lyrics on the EP are kind of disturbing. from "Fuzzy Sun" :

"a cigarette to brand a baby's arm. a bit of ash in his face keeps him warm."

it's all amazing, though.

Insignificance is my favourite, but I've recently picked up Halfway To A Threeway and Bad Timing and both are really good, if a little short. Slightly more folk sounding and stripped back than I'd imagined.

I really want to get I'm Happy, I'm Singing and a 1,2,3,4 but it's almost impossible to get over in the UK... grrr...

• 8 months later...

Bad Timing is one of my favorite albums of all time. I also love Eureka, Halfway, and Insignificance.

I just got Terminal Pharmacy and have not given it a full listen. And I just ordered "Happy Days," so basically I am starting to venture into his weirder stuff now expect for "Happy Days" because similar to Bad Timing its his take on Americana.

For a while there it was Halfway to a threeway, which is still an amazing album, but I'm really into Bad timing right now. Insignificance is really cool, but I have a tough time listening to Eureka all the way through.

I bought Happy Days the other day - it's an album with one track on it which last 47mins... More of his acoustic, alt-folk stuff with twists of noise...

sounds great and I am looking forward to hearing it.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but Jeff Tweedy & Glenn Kotche play something on virtually every song on Insignificance.

it's been mentioned plenty of times over the years. just not in this thread.

He's right about him being right.

All these people seem to be correct. All the Drag City releases are golden. My favorite non-Drag City album is I'm Happy, etc. Though I'm really interested in finding Happy Days now. When Jim's happy, I'm happy, it seems.

Get his stuff with Gastr Del Sol especially Camoflouer (spelled wrong but I don't care it's late) and Upgrade and Afterlife. Both are excellent and I think he was on one more prior to both albums, but my memory does not recollect.

Insignificance is real loud. And when I say real loud I mean "who the fuck pre-mastered it?".

But it's still a great album.

totally agree, when I listen to all of O'Rourkes stuff, Halfway to a Threeway comes to a peaceful end, and All Downhill from Here BLASTS into my headphones...

I've also decided that O'Rourke is music's Quentin Tarintino.