The 50 Albums That Changed Music

I can't believe Pet Sounds isn't number 1. This list is shit.

I think we should start a thread and DISCUSS this album

It's on my top 10 albums. YHF probably wouldn't make it.

you're right it could not possibly complete with The Human League and the Spice Girls

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jules
Rilly.....

I bought a copy of the complete Stone Roses awhile back. Can anyone explain to me why this album changed anything?

LouieB

I see your point, but I actualy remember listening to a friend's copy of this album back in high school and being very intrigued. Not blown away or anything, but I had never heard anything like it. And you have to admit there are a lot of bands today that sound an awful lot like the Stone Roses (I'm not saying this is a good thing, so take it easy on me). Were there other bands from the same time period with a similar sound that I am not aware of?

Again, not to overstate the actual quality of the music...

Edited by Jules
Nope. I can always ignore Bon Jovi, but life would be immeasurably bleaker without Ziggy.

Fer Chrissakes,to even MENTION Jon Blow Jobbie in the same breath w/ the Ziggy is sacrilege.

Scott

I bought a copy of the complete Stone Roses awhile back. Can anyone explain to me why this album changed anything?

Keep in mind that the list was compiled by a British publication. The Stone Roses did not make much of an impact here in the United States, bu they truly were one of the more important and influential bands in the UK for a time.

I like that there wouldn't have been The Beatles first album or rock and roll pretty much without 'Elvis Presley' (their words, not mine), yet there's 8 albums that apparently changed music more, including 'Sgt Pepper'.

Nice to think that the Beatles would've made 'Sgt Pepper' without Elvis Presley or their own first album. Maybe they just would've lucked onto it.

I like that there wouldn't have been The Beatles first album or rock and roll pretty much without 'Elvis Presley' (their words, not mine), yet there's 8 albums that apparently changed music more, including 'Sgt Pepper'.

Nice to think that the Beatles would've made 'Sgt Pepper' without Elvis Presley or their own first album. Maybe they just would've lucked onto it.

they weren't doing a list of influential albums, chronologically, but rather which music had more impact. Sure, Elvis impacted the beatles by popularizing black people's music, but what the beatles did with that had a bigger impact on musicians to follow them.

Thats the argument at least

1 The Velvet Underground and Nico

The Velvet Underground and Nico (1967)

Though it sold poorly on its initial release, this has since become arguably the most influential rock album of all time. The first art-rock album, it merges dreamy, druggy balladry ('Sunday Morning') with raw and uncompromising sonic experimentation ('Venus in Furs'), and is famously clothed in that Andy Warhol-designed 'banana' sleeve. Lou Reed's lyrics depicted a Warholian New York demi-monde where hard drugs and sexual experimentation held sway. Shocking then, and still utterly transfixing.

Without this, there'd be no ... Bowie, Roxy Music, Siouxsie and the Banshees and the Jesus and Mary Chain, among many others.

SOH

Bowie wasn't influenced by VU, but rather by Syd Barrett, who was doing the free form experimentation long before VU was.

Oh, and the Spice Girls inclusion just makes the entire list worthless. The Brits are really $#%$ in the head these days for some reason.

Edited by essox500
And you have to admit there are a lot of bands today that sound an awful lot like the Stone Roses (I'm not saying this is a good thing, so take it easy on me). Were there other bands from the same time period with a similar sound that I am not aware of?

I think Inspiral Carpets would be one such band. Wasn't there a band Happy Mondays or some such name that also achieved a similar sound?

Wasn't there a band Happy Mondays or some such name that also achieved a similar sound?

They were both from Manchester and neither frontman could sing. The simalarities stop there really.

LouieB

Yes, because you bought the wrong album. The Complete Stone Roses and The Stone Roses are two very different albums.

The former a compilation with inferior radio edits, remixes and songs takne out of context - the other one of the greatest debut albums of all time.

Bowie wasn't influenced by VU

What??? At all?? So he used to cover White Light / White Heat out of boredom?

Yes he was influenced by early Floyd, but that's the point with Bowie, he's influenced by everyone... Dylan, Neil Young, Sinatra, music hall comedy, Iggy, and on, and on, and on....

Yes, because you bought the wrong album. The Complete Stone Roses and The Stone Roses are two very different albums.

The former a compilation with inferior radio edits, remixes and songs takne out of context - the other one of the greatest debut albums of all time.

:thumbup

Fairport Convention's Liege and Lief is one of my top ten favorite records. I am surprised to see it mentioned n the media however, though it pleases me, which is good.

Fairport Convention's Liege and Lief is one of my top ten favorite records. I am surprised to see it mentioned n the media however, though it pleases me, which is good.

In many ways that album is far more influential than Pet Sounds, as it led to a big British Folk scene throughout the 1970's (although obviously there are other albums before that time which are part of the same lineage). There aren't a whole lot of albums that sound like Pet Sounds or Sgt Pepper for example (also that whole scene was drawing to a close by the time Sgt Pepper came out), but there are loads of bands and albums that borrowed from Liege and Lief, and all the members of Fairport that left went off in different directions and kept the scene alive. Also, this whole modern folk scene with groups/people like Espers, Devendra Banhart and Joanna Newsom have a link to it too.

It seems that music was more influential at the time acros the pond, but one of my Britsh coworkers is very hip to that movement. I always have to explain Fairport as the singer from Zep's "Battle for Evermore."

I think it should be said that not only would the Fabs NOT made Pepper,but their legacy as countercultural icons wouldn't have happened if a certain Mr. Zimmerman hadn't turned them on to the joys of cannabis :)

Scott

I think it should be said that not only would the Fabs NOT made Pepper,but their legacy as countercultural icons wouldn't have happened if a certain Mr. Zimmerman hadn't turned them on to the joys of cannabis :)

Scott

And without the joys of cannabis, no counterculture at all--and certainly more than half of this list would disappear, leaving only.... Sinatra, the Spice Girls, and a few other nontokers.

B)

Edited by AWATT

Oh okay..thanks for the tip on that, I had no idea....I will pick that up if it crosses my path sometime.

LouieB

Scott

Yes, because the Beatles would have never encountered pot again if not For Bob.

:beer