Broken Social Scene-thoughts?

Yes, I'm way late to the party on these guys but I cannot stop listening to their newest CD. Sort of like an Arcade Fire/My Bloody Valentine/Polyphonic Spree mix. They sure don't sound like anyone else out there. I'm off to get their debut next. If it is half as good as this new one, I'll be in heaven. What is the consensis around here on this band?

Sort of like an Arcade Fire/My Bloody Valentine/Polyphonic Spree mix. They sure don't sound like anyone else out there.

:blink

Also, the older record is twice as good, not half. So you are in luck.

I have been addicted to You Forgot It in People for the last 3 years. For some reason, I just can't stop listening to it...it's one of those albums where 2/3 of the songs on the record are your favorite at some point in time. I'd honestly have to say it's my favorite post 2000 disc, and probably in my top 7 of all time. The new one I like, but nowhere near on that level.

I like You Forget it in People a whole lot. It's slowly sneaking it's way up my all-time favorite album list. I have been giving lots of air-time lately. I liked their latest disc quite a bit too, but not near as much as the other one. I have yet to get their first disc or their b-side collection.

Love em, Love em, Love em!

Their last show at the Astoria in London was amazing, gutted i missed em at Koko when apparantly they were even better and Feist was playing with them then. Check out here album "Let It Die" which is great.

I actually prefer the most recent album to "You Forgot It In People" but both are excellent.

Worth getting the Live at Radio Aligre ep where they play some tunes acoustic, actually there are quite a few radio sessions around where they strip down some of their songs to beautiful little acoustic numbers!

I bought "You Forgot It" awhile back and never got into it. There was a song on there that talked about drinking someones piss :throwup , and that vision so turned me off that it overshadowed the rest of the album. I put the album on my ipod at that time, left off the song with the piss, and then sold it to my local indie store. I need to go back and revisit and see if it gets any better for me as a result.

Saw them at ATP this year and was blown away by them live... great stuff, and chatted to one of the bassists afterwards who was a very pleasent fellow. We had a beer together and chatted about the similarities between Canada and Wales!

One of the best bands in the world right now. Forgot It In People is certainly moving up my all-time list, as many others have said. I love the newest album too. It doesn't have the punch of Forgot... but it is still one of the best albums of the last year or so. I have seen them several times over the last 3-4 years and they definitely deliver live. One of the best rock shows around. Their shows with Feist at the Henry Fonda this year were amazing.

Edited by jdlee23

they are one of my favourite bands. the self titled is the best followed by you forgot it in people. Beehives is decent considering its just you forgot it in people b-sides. Feel good lost is hard to get into for me though its too slow. I like the ep to be me and you a lot too.

They are a great band. I highly recommend YFIIP and their latest s/t record. They are also one of the best live bands around. When everything comes together and they have that sprawling collective of musicians onstage together, it is really something to see. I saw them again earlier this month in Brooklyn and they put on another good show. The band only had 10 members with it so it wasn't the full ensemble that they had brought to NYC earlier this year. They also have said that they are going on hiatus after their fall tour ends so go see them while you still have a chance.

Broken Social Scene

Edited by Jimbo Jones
One of the best bands in the world right now. Forgot It In People is certainly moving up my all-time list, as many others have said. I love the newest album too. It doesn't have the punch of Forgot... but it is still one of the best albums of the last year or so. I have seen them several times over the last 3-4 years and they definitely deliver live. One of the best rock shows around. Their shows with Feist at the Henry Fonda this year were amazing.

Everything he said is true. The new album was a grower for me, and yeah, killer concert.

I think "You Forgot In People" is great, I'm actually planing to make a movie revolving around it as a contest entry where every song would be acompanied by a different inspiring visual story piece.

Very high concept and dubious.

Anyway, I think Self Titled is on a Par with you forgot it, in fact, Self Titled is a lot more lush.