Demographics & Intro

--30 years old

--First introduced to Wilco in early '97, when I read a positive review of Being There one day in a local rag, and then came across it by happenstance later that same week (maybe even the same day--I don't remember. It makes for a better story if it was the same day, though). I picked it up because of the good review, and because it was two discs and a lot of music for cheap. A minute or two into "Misunderstood," I knew I had found my new favorite band (replacing another Chicago band in the Smashing Pumpkins). I played the hell out of the album for the rest of the year (and, to this date, it's one of only a handful of CDs I've ever had to replace due to wear and tear from listening to them so much)

--They played here in OKC in November '97, which I only found out about a day or two beforehand. I invited a girlfriend, who invited a friend along, and I bought her tickets ($12 each). There was only a few dozen other people at the show. The girlfriend and her friend were so bored and unimpressed that I gave her my keys and they left. There were a couple of guys I was sitting/standing next to that went on and on about the differences between Wilco and Uncle Tupelo, who I didn't know a fucking thing about, besides the fact that UT had a song on the No Alternative compilation. After the show, I was walking around the venue, waiting for the girlfriend to come back and pick me up, and very nearly crashed into a very-pissed off-looking, jean-jacket-wearing Jeff, who was in a hurry to get somewhere.

--Didn't see them again until they played Dallas five years later, and bought all their stuff in between the shows. Have seen them three other times since then, for a grand total of five times: Twice in OKC, twice in Dallas, and once in Tulsa. Five times is nothing compared to how many times other people around the boards have seen 'em, but I figure, for as infrequently as they play this part of the country, five times isn't too bad.

--Still my favorite band, nine years later, and can't ever envision a time when they won't be.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't it odd that the "old timers" (been on the board years, with thousands of posts) choose not to disclose much or anything about themselves? Primarily newbies who seem willing to do so here.... Why is that? These kinds of posts must come in cycles so likely grows tiring for them....

LouieB we DO want to know!

Stardog, why all the sarcasm?

Veterans of VC who are you, really?

:lol

Isn't it odd that the "old timers" (been on the board years, with thousands of posts) choose not to disclose much or anything about themselves? Primarily newbies who seem willing to do so here.... Why is that? These kinds of posts must come in cycles so likely grows tiring for them....

Shit, we're the internet pervs that the media is warning you about.

Isn't it odd that the "old timers" (been on the board years, with thousands of posts) choose not to disclose much or anything about themselves?

They never look in the JAF forum, since they are busy arguing about stuff in the RTT.

I think if there weren't post counts next to peoples names, you could still tell how long people have been around based on how sarcastic their snarky comments are.

Bunch of in-joke-loving-commies!

:P

These kinds of posts must come in cycles so likely grows tiring for them....

That's it really as far as I'm concerned. No offence. There comes a point when you think about trying to limit your posts :D

My avatar and sig just about tell you all you really need to know. My musical taste is generally despised, but I am tolerated as they know it's no use trying to argue with the village idiot (this is a useful ploy :thumbup ). I generally hold to the "if you can't say anything nice then better to say nothing at all" approach. This place is a useful escape and source of mirth and musical info for me but I can't be bothered to get embroiled in any arguments over music or anything more serious. Miss Yvon is my spiritual guidance in this approach. Learn from her! A few people from here have met me and lived to tell the tale. They were all really nice, and a few have become good friends. I am obviously a Wilco fan (since MA 1) but I am very picky in all music (very very few albums by anyone will I enjoy completely, and I regard anything under a 75% hit rate on an album as disappointing - maybe I'm just tight with my money) so there is a fair amount that I don't care for as well. I have a small sample of live shows, mainly JT solo as there are obviously no corresponding proper albums, and I don't BT or anything like that. I don't analyse music. I like what I like of any genre.

P.S. I like to wear a hanky in public.

Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual. But now I know why I have always lost women to guys like you. I mean, it's not just the uniform. It's the stories that you tell. So much fun and imagination.

ObliviousToMyself, you are a madman. When you stole that cow, and your friend tried to make it with the cow. I want to party with you, cowboy. If the two of us together, forget it. I'm gonna go out on a limb here. I'm gonna volunteer my leadership to this board. An message board without leaders is like a foot without a big toe. And AWATT is always gonna be here to be that big toe for us. I think that we owe a big round of applause to our newest, bestest buddy, and big toe... AWATT.

Also, I went to college w/ a handful of kids from Belleville that used to see Tupelo at Belleville Area College (aka Bring A Cooler) before coming to my school, bought AM when it came out/thought it was lame and then really got into the band w/ Summerteeth. I still don't get that big of a rise out of AM and agree w/ The Maker that he's a dick.

Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual. But now I know why I have always lost women to guys like you. I mean, it's not just the uniform. It's the stories that you tell. So much fun and imagination.

ObliviousToMyself, you are a madman. When you stole that cow, and your friend tried to make it with the cow. I want to party with you, cowboy. If the two of us together, forget it. I'm gonna go out on a limb here. I'm gonna volunteer my leadership to this board. An message board without leaders is like a foot without a big toe. And AWATT is always gonna be here to be that big toe for us. I think that we owe a big round of applause to our newest, bestest buddy, and big toe... AWATT.

:lol Is that from Meatballs or Stripes?

I was born a few months before the White Album was released.

I have a penis.

I have a job. It involves a lot of writing and editing. I work in the software industry.

I have neither reproduced nor married, although the latter might be disputed on a technicality in certain states.

I have been a Jeff Tweedy fan since before some of you were born: 1990, just after the release of No Depression, when my girlfriend at the time gave me a tape of that album.

I have been a Wilco fan since the week that AM was released. Despite this, I have seen Wilco only twice.

I have no idea who is in the Billboard charts right now, nor do I want to know. Kids today and their "rock and roll."

Get the hell off my lawn.

High-posters are also very well known for "Hijacking" threads, spinning them off on a tangent and eventually into oblivion.

Don't look at me , I only kill threads...........watch :ninja

Hi, my name is sean.

I'm pretty much the BMOC 'round these parts.

Factual.

I don't think we should be talking about this

Back to important things like women for Stardog:

aishwarya_rai_86.jpg

It isn't that we chose not to disclose anything it is just that lots of people have already heard these things about us over and over and it has gotten kinda boring.

But if you can sit still for this one more time, here goes.

I came to Wilco through Uncle Tupelo, who I followed, but never saw because I was busy with a young family. I am far and away the oldest active person on the board, since I have been on this planet for 5.5 decades. I live within the city limits of Chicago and my daughter Tweedy's Gurl used to be the kid on block here, but now has a few years on her and is nearly out of her teens. I still go out and hear music on a regular basis and I am an avid record collector, both vinyl and CD, but don't really do downloads. I had seen Wilco several times prior to YHF, but after turning my daughter on to it, I was obliged to schelp her to see both the group and Tweedy and as a result I have met the band and loads of fans from all over the world. I would not have traded that experience for anything, because now I know people when I go see stuff and don't have to go alone anymore.

I have a rather mundane job as a state bureaucrat in the Illinois dept of Education, after having worked in community organizations and done some other interesting stuff such as union organizing and school reform. I have lived in Chicago my entire adult life, although I did not grow up here.

That's about enough of that....

LouieB

Sex: Sure, why not.

Occupation: 4th grade teacher, usually. Right now I'm taking a year off to take care of 6.75 month old twins.

Residence: Sherman Oaks, CA (Like, oh my god, y'know. The Valley. I'm so sure.)

A good friend was going to see some rock documentary at the local art house theater and I tagged along. About 5 minutes into I Am Trying to Break Your Heart, I was hooked. Having been listening to a lot of Radiohead and Johnny Cash around that time, it was a sort of "You got your peanut butter in my chocolate..." kind of moment. Slowly worked backwards from YHF, then the Mermaid Ave stuff. Somewhere along the way, not quite sure how, I stumbled across this place (3 years ago last Sunday to be exact) and posted a request for bootlegs. Even though I had nothing to offer pneyu took me under her wing and sent me a starter package of stuff so I'd have something to trade, thus restoring my faith in rock 'n roll, the internet, and the kindness of mankind.

Until ction began doing bad things to me out behind the VC store. I'm now in therapy 4 times a week.

32, wifeless and kidless. Work in social services (and start grad school in the fall) after years of trying to convince myself that I belonged in the "corporate" world.

Fell in love with UT first time I heard "I Got Drunk" in college. Pretty much summed up my life at the time and for, oh about the entire 90s. Wilco didn't do much for me in the early days (not much did if it didn't involve drinking, smoking, snorting, or Stephen Malkmus). Had all the albums but rarely listened to them. First listen to IATTBYH on headphones after buying YHF changed everything. Now I'm a definite Tweedy freak. Seen them 10 times in the last 2 years, and the torrenting/trading is now control. No wonder I can't keep a girlfriend.

I usually don't talk about personal stuff, but I'm feeling especially grateful and chatty today. Been completely clean and sober for 3 1/2 years, and Jeff's music and personal background have been a big inspiration for me. I may not have "gotten" early Wilco at the time because I wasn't in the emotional place to get it. A big reason AGIB never gets old to me is that so many of those songs represent a recovery of one sort or another. Every show I attended in the 90s was a blur, but I've been clear and lucid for all these Wilco and Jeff solo shows and each one has been a moving, spiritual experience for me.

Sorry to anyone who's still reading this. I'm usually not this corny, I swear.

almost 32, married, with a 12 year old daughter.

Born in Chicago, raised in St. Louis, moved back to Chicago last year.

Honestly, I don't really listen to Wilco anymore. *shrug* Just burned out. Though I met my husband on Via Chicago, so I guess that's good. :) This fall, I will have been on VC for 4 years......damn.

I'm fifteen and live in South Carolina. I will be a sophmore this year. I discovered Wilco in a weird way. My dad has always been the biggest influence on the music I listen to. He showed me Wilco's first album A.M. when I was around nine. I liked this CD a lot and knew all the songs but I didn't really discover Wilco until about a year ago when I went to the beach with my family.

My uncle who is really into music put YHF on and that was the first time I had heard it. I listened to the whole thing. When it was over I asked him who it was and he told me it was wilco. As soon as we got back from the beach I told my dad to take me to Best Buy so I could get YHF. He told me we already had it and he had bought it the day it had come out. I found this hard to believe because I had never heard it. So instead I went out and bought A Ghost is Born. The next day I went and bought Being There and Summerteeth and have been listening to them everyday since.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get to go see them the next time their near me.