Wilco will soon be popular, will you be mad?

Guest tandylacker

Guest tandylacker

Listening to some of the new songs, Thanks I Get, Good Part, Walken... I am starting to think that Wilco is watering down some songs to achieve some commercial success. Maybe I am wrong...

Anybody else think that? Would you be mad? I wouldn't. They have entertained me for years and think they deserve some monetary compensation for once.

Is "Magazine Called Sunset" going to make it to the next CD?

I don't think I would've let my first post ever be that one.

I'd have to say that if you're looking to say Wilco has sounded commercial at any point, it would've been when they were enjoying the success of Outta site (Outta mind). And really, that's not even what matters. Jeff Tweedy said in an NPR radio interview that all the songs are attempts at hits and being recognized.

So, I disagree, especially with you saying that they're watering anything down. I would be upset if the same people who listen to Fallout Boy walked up to me and asked if I had ever heard of Wilco, but not at Wilco. I would have to say that they've enjoyed quite a bit of monetary compensation, as well. They did bag two grammies last year, after all, and YHF hasn't came off the 10 best sellers at Virgin Records since its release.

I doubt it will. It was already released on the Australian version of YHF.

Guest tandylacker

I suppose my knowledge of past NPR interviews is not up to par. I apologize. Just wondering what any one else was thinking...

I do know however, their music has increased in depth for the last 3 CDs--which usually means commercial success nowhere in sight. I have high hopes for their next CD selling quite a few copies, I think it is time for them to be able to tour to my hometown for a change. For how great and life altering their music can be, they have somehow stayed under the radar of the mass public. How many CDs do they usually sell? 500,000? Isn't bad, but how come the average joe still does not know who they are? Foo Fighters only sell 500,000 CDs or less and everybody knows them. Not a huge Foo Fighters fan, just an example.

Anyhow, the new CD, seems a little plain. Seems like it will have a few The Late Greats on it. And obviously still have some creative songs... But its clear, at least to me, that they are trying to bring back some of their easier to listen to style of song writing.

This post was seriously disconnected, hopefully when you read it you can apply a little more continuity.

Foo Fighters only sell 500,000 CDs or less and everybody knows them. Not a huge Foo Fighters fan, just an example.

But the Foo Fighters make videos and got thier start after the singer had done some time in some other band that sold a few records.

As to the post above inre:Being There, that's when I first heard Wilco. A radio station in Charlotte, where I was living in '96, played Outa Sight and Someday Soon. And then they were bought by Clearchannel (AKA the Evil Empire). "Hit songs" and popularity have nothing to do with music being simple or accessible but I won't go down that road as I'm sure most everyone here understands.

Foo Fighters only sell 500,000 CDs or less and everybody knows them. Not a huge Foo Fighters fan, just an example.

But the Foo Fighters make videos and got thier start after the singer had done some time in some other band that sold a few records.

As to the post above inre:Being There, that's when I first heard Wilco. A radio station in Charlotte, where I was living in '96, played Outa Sight and Someday Soon. And then they were bought by Clearchannel (AKA the Evil Empire). "Hit songs" and popularity have nothing to do with music being simple or accessible but I won't go down that road as I'm sure most everyone here understands.

I don't have a problem with Wilco becoming popular. It's the fans that popularity brings that I hate. The guys who jump on the "cool" bandwagon and have no idea why they even like the songs they're listening to. They ruin shows for me.

Not thinking so much commercial,but Phish fans will now have a new band to love.

LOL, it seems like most of the fans on this board are already thick with patchouli.

I don't see any of the new songs as capable of mainstream success without a fair amount of popping up. There were far more accessible songs on Being There and Summerteeth and they went almost nowhere. Just lack of lyrical complexity doesn't generate success, you have to write music that immediately engages people and these new songs just don't do that.

Here's an example of a song with simple/dumb lyrics that's engaging and fun...

Miss Mary - Silly Boy Don't Be So Sad

...get back to me with the worries about mainstream success when Wilco starts writing music that'd actually appeal to regular people again.

I think that the new songs sound somewhat similar to what was on agib and where did that get them with popularity?? also I think they're a bit passed their prime when it comes to being marketable to the fallout boy crowd. So I doubt that we'll be seeing wilco on trl anytime soon.

Edited by Nowhereman65

i'll be so f***in' mad when wilco becomes popular! i'm gonna burn my wilco albums (and not the computer way!) God, how could they do this to us? Sell outs! I wasted so much of my precious time and money on them!

I knew this would happen...it always does to bands i love.

excuse me...i need to be alone for a while...

Anyhow, the new CD, seems a little plain. Seems like it will have a few The Late Greats on it. And obviously still have some creative songs... But its clear, at least to me, that they are trying to bring back some of their easier to listen to style of song writing.

Why does a song have to be hard to listen to, to be considered creative? If it it seeming difficult to appreciate beauty or art in simple things, or in things that other people enjoy (aka popularity), then one ought to review their own perspective. I'm not picking on you, just a general message out there, and its something I think alot of people (myself included) needs to remind themselves once in awhile.

I've only heard "Is That The Thanks I Get" from the new songs (i've been avoiding them on purpose, but caught that on Conan), and I'm loving The Band style vibe. You know that Dylan/Young/Band-ness runs deep in Wilco, and the need to run in the opposite direction of where they were. I can't imagine Wilco surprising anybody, or being inspired to keep running in that one direction of getting more and more 'deconstructive' or whatever you want to call it.

And I agree with the above that I doubt the new songs are any more or less "accessible" than the stuff on A.M. or Summerteeth, and many moments on each of the other albums.

No need to apologize. Listening to NPR causes brain cancer.... or at least severe boredom.

My main beef with NPR is that they do not play nearly enough Black Sabbath.

The thing about popularity; especially in the music industry, is that it has peeks and valleys. A Band you may love now and that are playing in small venues for a cheep ticket may one day sell out a arena at inflated their ticket prices.

But the thing is; if the band sticks together and you stick with it, the cycle will probably come back around to the small venue at a affordable price.

It may take a few years for that to happen, but i have found those that jump on the popular "Band Wagon" at the hight of commercial success are most likely people that listen to music as back ground noise for the most part. It's those of us that see the art in the work of the band and have emotional attachments to the tunes that stick around for the long haul.

It's actually WiLco. That is the way it is spelled on Wikipedia.

Or the way Jay Bennett tries to spell it? :yawn

As long as the fans aren't total bitches, I'm fine with it.

I have the feeling that Wilco will end up like Neil Young. Popular, but so far out from the mainstream.

A hit single might be nice though....

LouieB

I respectfully disagree...reason?? simple,three words...Touch of Grey

"Say no more,squire!!" :D